Coulthard Criticizes Montoya - F1-Live.com

Posted by _Alex_ 
Coulthard Criticizes Montoya - F1-Live.com
Date: August 19, 2002 12:10PM
Posted by: _Alex_
Coulthard criticizes Montoya - F1-Live.com

BMW Williams driver Juan Pablo Montoya has angered David Coulthard after an incident in Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix. The Scot has now told the Colombian driver that he needs to accept the fact that there are times other drivers will get the better of him. The incident in question came during Sunday's race where Coulthard's teammate Kimi Raikkonen attempted a pass on the Montoya, seeing the Williams leave the circuit as the Colombian attempted to defend the situation.

Montoya was suffering problems at the time of the attempted pass after making contact with the Renault of Jenson Button at the start of the 77 lap event. After following Montoya closely for the majority of the first stint, when Raikkonen finally attempted the pass, Montoya left the circuit damaging his FW24 further as not only the Finn but Jarno Trulli and Coulthard himself took advantage of the situation to get through also.

While there is no doubting Montoya's speed and talent with six pole positions to his credit already this season, Coulthard believes the former CART champion needs to back off. While yesterday's tangle with Raikkonen wasn't the first time the two have tussled recently, Coulthard has also been on the receiving end of Juan's

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Re: Coulthard Criticizes Montoya - F1-Live.com
Date: August 19, 2002 12:11PM
Oh, wrong damn forum! Might as well keep it here.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: August 19, 2002 12:44PM
Posted by: tux
erm, he went off becakause he had bad understeer from that part falling off, he didnt drive off

Date: August 19, 2002 01:54PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Coulthard's comments stand though. JPM just won't give up....good most of the time, but when there's no chance of him holding the position, its pointless. Better to survive to fight another day, or regain the position, in this case.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: August 19, 2002 03:35PM
Looking at the footage, the way in which Montoya goes off the track is most perculiar. It's not understeer. At first I thought his steering had broken or something because he just suddenly goes straight on. Maybe Coulthard's right. He's certainly right about the "you can't pass me because I'm Montoya" attitude.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: August 19, 2002 05:30PM
Posted by: LS.
you can't pass me because I'm Montoya

funny how if it was MS you'd be defending him to the hilt alex.

whats wrong with a determination to win anyway?

senna had it

its sour grapes from coulthard, he's had his time and not impressed.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: August 19, 2002 05:35PM
Montoya was suffering problems at the time of the attempted pass after making contact with the Renault of Jenson Button at the start of the 77 lap event.

enough said

i did'nt see you posting alex when JPM got past kimi at hockenheim though.

maybe you were on your holiday

download the clip from from here uf you missed it [f1onboard.absolutelysensational.net]

it was gripping stuff :-)

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 19, 2002 05:41PM
Posted by: genesis
Err didn't everyone know it was a mechanical failure?

We saw (on ITV's coverage) that he lost it in that right hander before the long left hander at the end of the lap. He broke part of the front wing so downforce - grip was low. He struggled to brake into turn 1, and then the lack of downforce caused understeer at turn 5.

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: August 19, 2002 05:42PM
you might want to right click on the link and save it

its worth it, one of hte best battles this season, even if itv chose to go to a commercial break during it :-(

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 19, 2002 05:47PM
There's all this hype about Montoya, the guy is very quick there's no question, and I think his qualifying earlier in the year showed that," Coulthard said. "But whenever it comes to wheel to wheel racing, there's an incident. With me, we crashed and both lost points in Nurburgring, hence me being sensitive to it.

DC fails to mention that the tyres on montoya's williams were shagged and he requested to pit, but the team told him to stay out.

montoya on worn michelins ( that the mclaren wears better in race trim) was under pressure from DC ( for the first time in ages) tried to defend his line and the tyre wear caused a unfortunate spin under heavy breaking and took out DC.

this is the main reason that DC is complaining

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 19, 2002 05:48PM
Fancy a nice big piece of spam, LS? :-)

Date: August 19, 2002 05:48PM
Err didn't everyone know it was a mechanical failure?

We saw (on ITV's coverage) that he lost it in that right hander before the long left hander at the end of the lap. He broke part of the front wing so downforce - grip was low. He struggled to brake into turn 1, and then the lack of downforce caused understeer at turn 5.

err apparently not everyone

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 19, 2002 05:54PM
Fancy a nice big piece of spam, LS? :-)

no

i just got in from the pub and i'm incapable of reading large posts and taking it all in.

besides whats with all this bull.shite about having the biggest post tally?

the majority of you just post shite like LOL and other crap so i'm the last person you should be targettting

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 19, 2002 06:07PM
Christ all mighty, someone's had too much to drink tonight.

The smiley was meant to show it was a light hearted comment - no need to bite my head off.

who mentioned boosting post tallies anyway? Getting a bit paranoid?

Date: August 20, 2002 02:13AM
yeah sorry about that , i was pissed last night,

apologies

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 20, 2002 02:39AM
i did'nt see you posting alex when JPM got past kimi at hockenheim though.

maybe you were on your holiday

Correct. I did see it later though, and I thought it was marvellous. Cheers for the video - I didn't realise F1Onboard had any footage from Germany?

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: August 20, 2002 08:05AM
Posted by: tux
erm, didnt couthard have a go at JP a few races ago as well?

mabey they should get in a boxing ring and get the anger out :P

Date: August 20, 2002 09:03AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
*thump* JPM hits the floor

*ring ring*

LS, JPM's tyres may have been in a very bad state, but he should have known that...and therefore should know there's no way he could stop DC getting through, since he could'nt brake adequately. I think that just adds weight to what DC said. It was JPM's error, on a move which DC should be proud of, would'nt you be annoyed if the guy you were passing was unable to see he was in no position to defend his place?

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: August 20, 2002 10:02AM
LS, JPM's tyres may have been in a very bad state, but he should have known that...and therefore should know there's no way he could stop DC getting through, since he could'nt brake adequately. I think that just adds weight to what DC said. It was JPM's error, on a move which DC should be proud of, would'nt you be annoyed if the guy you were passing was unable to see he was in no position to defend his place?

i agree with you in a certain way, but F1 drivers are a different breed to normal people, they are all ultra competitive and do not like conceeding in any way.

perhaps thats the vital piece missing from DC, the missing element that will result him in never winning the WDC.

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 20, 2002 10:43AM
i agree with you in a certain way, but F1 drivers are a different breed to normal people, they are all ultra competitive and do not like conceeding in any way.

perhaps thats the vital piece missing from DC, the missing element that will result him in never winning the WDC.

I agree on both accounts - but I still believe that Montoya is taking it a little too far at the moment. Coulthard's a good racer, but no where near often enough. He's impressed me this year because he's handled well what is really a pretty poor car. Then again so has Raikkonen. But like you said, LS, he's missed his chance...

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy