DVD to AVi

Posted by torana_05 
DVD to AVi
Date: February 12, 2013 12:17PM
Posted by: torana_05
G'day fullas just wondering what program you guys use to copy your dvd collection to .avi or other movie file types for pc. I have googled a couple of times and found some freeware programs but they always are trials that only copy a certain amount or leave a huge watermark in the middle of the screen. I have seen that people use dvd shrink then another program called handbrake. i havent looked into this as much as it seems a time consuming process, and labour intensive as i just want a program i can just set and forget, so to say. Comments, Suggestions on what you guyse use would be awesome, and approx how long it takes per dvd. Thanks

Re: DVD to AVi
Date: February 12, 2013 07:41PM
Posted by: gav
DVD Shrink will just strip the copy protection out (you can make an ISO file which can then be processed by other programs). Handbrake will just take the video from an ISO file (you might need to mount it using something like Virtual CloneDrive). It's all very easy (if you use one of Handbrakes presets) - the main time consumed will be waiting on the DVD being decoded and the resulting file being encoded. Whichever way you do it, it's going to take time, though little of your own time.

There may well be a program that does it all for you, but I don't know of one, and it won't be well advertised, as stripping the copyright from a DVD is illegal in many counties (something necessary to convert commercial DVDs to other digital mediums).

One thing to note though, Handbrake won't make an AVI file. AVIs are something of the past really anyway.
Date: February 13, 2013 09:14AM
Posted by: J i m
Also depends on the spec of your computer as well. I use handbrake to convert files into mp4 and because my computer is relatively old with modest memory it takes for blooming well ever. A feature length video in HD will easily take over 24 Hours for me.

Date: February 13, 2013 09:18PM
Posted by: torana_05
My pc isnt bad so shouldnt take that long. Thanks guys will have a look around and let ya know.

Date: February 14, 2013 02:00AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
[makemkv.com] is good, but it doesnt shrink them. i ripped Battlestar Galactica Season 1 and its 26gb.... But it only took 10 minutes per disk and has a 60 day trial i think

and for removing copy protection, AnyDVD is good.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 02:03AM by NeilPearson.
Date: February 15, 2013 02:07PM
Posted by: Gigi4
Not sure how it works with copy protection (you will probably need to remove them first with other software) but if I remember well Avidemux should convert DVD to AVI.

Date: September 04, 2013 11:41AM
Posted by: padmar
Ended up using AppGeeker DVD Ripper and I've had great luck using it for ripping to AVI or MP4 movies so far.

How to Rip DVD to AVI format on Mac OS X and Windows

Shove DVD into laptop, select output, one click and it's done (well, after a bit of a wait).
Date: August 18, 2023 11:25AM
Posted by: Siuuu
There are several programs that you can use to convert your DVD collection to AVI or other movie file types for your PC. But this one should be your Ultimate choice: Video Converter
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy