Programers help needed (jon? Lo2k?)

Posted by Ellis 
Programers help needed (jon? Lo2k?)
Date: March 17, 2003 02:53AM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo! We came accross a bit of a problem with the GT mod that only a programmer can solve.......wheel rims! We think the GP4 wheel rim colours are very much like the GP3 flag men- they stored them as white and the exe then changes them to match the colour.

could anyone find a way to edit these wheel rims colours? The GT cars look stupid on the GP4 rims.

Major thanks guys!

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Re: Programers help needed (jon? Lo2k?)
Date: March 17, 2003 05:24AM
Posted by: tux
if its like gp3 layout (wich i hope) then i could just search for it in the gp4.exe.

ill give it a go when i get home (im at skool atm)

Date: March 17, 2003 05:25AM
Posted by: sasjag
cheers Jon :P

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: March 17, 2003 05:25AM
major thanxs jon! This may not be the most important thing in the world, but sum of our cars look a little odd with the wrong rims!

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 17, 2003 11:49AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Yep, it's sure that colour is added above textures for rims, drivers arms or even game menus, but for now i never found on what form they are stored whether in the exe or in another file... : /

Date: March 17, 2003 12:06PM
i think exe, like the flag men.

lauri, do you think they will be the same format?

Date: March 17, 2003 01:01PM
Posted by: andrew_S
also is it yet possable to change tyre shape? i mean for the gt mods you really need some low profile tyres

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: March 17, 2003 01:19PM
Posted by: Spike02
ahem, cough cough :P

Date: March 17, 2003 01:32PM
that coughing means yes :P

Date: March 18, 2003 04:12AM
Spike here is specially building some GT wheels for us :D

Date: March 18, 2003 08:26AM
Posted by: variante_ascari
way to go Spiky!

Date: March 18, 2003 11:25AM
could someone look into the method GP4 uses for transparent, materials, i mean we use alpha layer in F1 2002, to get the window effect, as yet we dont know how this is done in gp4, any ideas guys

Date: March 18, 2003 11:54AM
To Jon : Well, i never opened any GP3 file so i can't tell you what format it was using to store colors.

To Andrew : Well, you could opened a car in 3DEditor and check what texture is using visor (like i just do) and you would have seen that it use alpha channel in the white box (white because when you disable alpha blending in 3DEditor Option tab, you can see that the real color of the glass is white) at the top of the damage_cockpit.tex file :)

Date: March 18, 2003 11:57AM
Andrew, transparency was recently discovered by Caelen in cockpit editing. Here his is explination

Ok the "secret" is probably more of a trick, which i discovered yesterday. Normally gp4 uses alpha channels to determine reflectiveness but in a few special cases it uses the alpha channel to determine transparency or "opaqueness". One of these special cases is the new_steering_wheels_display stexture and cockpit_dash shape.

I created a window shape then edited it etc.
then i put it into the cockpit_dash shape.
Note:
.for some reason when its in the cockpit dash shape, it doesnt disply in the same place on screen as if its in the car_cockpit shape, so you will have to move it into position by trial and error
.the window has to be named the same as a component of the original cockpit_dash otherwise it wont show in game, ie cant call it window or something usefull like that.I used the warning_off object as this object is always visible, initially i mapped to one of the least used cockpit warning lights but then the window is only visible when the warning comes on. The original object that you mao it to can be left untouched just merge the new shape ,window, and the old one together, ie the warning_off still works as before.
.unfortunately you cant use a different texture with the cokpit_dash shape, and you cant use a different shape with the new_steering_wheels_displays texture. It has to be the new_steering_wheels_displays in the cockpit_dash shape otherwise the transparency wont work
.the transparency is fairly simple, Black is totally transparent and white is totally opaque, and of course shades of grey are somewhere in the middle.
.because the alph channel controlls visibility of the texture, it is easily possible to make tinted windows or put writing etc on the window.
.so yes i think it would be simple to use this trick for your gt mod for as many windows as you like,which by the way looks fantastic, god i hope you include decent lods as my computers fairly crappy.

Date: March 18, 2003 12:03PM
ok thanks thats interesting, i didnt realise i could open cars in your editor, i can now make my tyrrell have a clear wing screen, and the area around the ignision plugs wont be white :-P

Date: March 20, 2003 08:48AM
erm, bump

The only things restricting us in GP4 editing cars at the moment is

1 - wheel rim colours
2 - helmet position
3 - wheel base has to be the same for each car

number 3 cant be changed, but im hoping somebody can come up woth answers to one and two, especially 2, so we can make Le Man prototypes

Date: March 20, 2003 09:19AM
i looked and couldnt find anything atm on rim colors :(

Date: March 20, 2003 10:31AM
no problem jon, thanx for giving us a look

Date: March 20, 2003 11:12AM
Well, Wheel rims will be found, it's just a time question.
The same for helmets pos, the thing that can happen is that all cars used same coords, as for tyres, maybe...

Post Edited (03-20-03 21:32)

Date: March 20, 2003 11:42AM
but all helemts are different pos. Im pretty sure of that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy