Please help, which OS and how

Posted by Nick 
Please help, which OS and how
Date: March 15, 2003 12:46PM
Posted by: Nick
much ram you guys are using.

The reason I ask is becasue I still run win98se and yesterday I upgraded from 512MB to 1024 but win98 wont load with that much ram. Just wondering what OS other's are running.

Thanks
Re: Please help, which OS and how
Date: March 15, 2003 01:05PM
Posted by: CeeGee
XP Pro
Date: March 15, 2003 01:09PM
Oh I forgot to ask to post what OS and your fraterate?

thanks
Date: March 15, 2003 01:25PM
Posted by: Zcott
98 won't load with more than 512mb of RAM, but you can tell it to limit your RAM to just 512mb. Windows will load, and will then use all 1gb of your RAM.

"The part of Windows that moves files in and out of the main computer sets aside enough memory so it can work with big files, and if the amount of available memory is large, the memory chunk that

Date: March 15, 2003 01:42PM
Posted by: tux
just what i was gunna post zcot :P

Date: March 15, 2003 08:57PM
Posted by: JackieStewart
Trust me!!!! I've been through XP Pro, Me, 98 and 98SE. For GP4 and gaming generally, STICK TO 98SE. It's not as pretty as some others. It hasn't got the gizmos that some have got and it isn't as stable. As long as you back up regularly and keep a "tidy house", you cannot beat this OS.

....................I quite like this now.
Date: March 16, 2003 05:13AM
Posted by: Ellis
Trust me!!!! I've been through XP Pro, Me, 98 and 98SE. For GP4 and gaming generally, STICK TO 98SE.

I dula booted just for GP4 last week, and i got rid of 98 cos i lost 4 fps

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 16, 2003 06:18AM
Posted by: CDN_Merlin
Do a search for Win9X with more than 512 RAM and it will point you to a MS site about it, You have to edit an INI file then Win98 will work. Or goto XP but be warned, I've been using XP for a month now and I hate it.

Beta tester for;
Descent 3, C & C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,
Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: March 16, 2003 06:29AM
At least it doesnt ask you to reboot every time you do something

"your mouse moved, please restart windows for changes to take effect"

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 16, 2003 06:30AM
i love it :)

wont use win me any more :p

Date: March 16, 2003 09:30AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Nick, I had Win2000 but it gave me too many problems, so I switched to 98SE. My framerate doubled (nearly!) from 26fps to 47fps. I have 256MB DDR ram. Stick to 98SE if you play a lot of games.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: March 16, 2003 09:39AM
erm

what about win me? in xp im running 25fps just and not tryed in win me, dont have 98 :s

Date: March 16, 2003 02:21PM
Me is the biggest DOG out there. I think that when they rush anything uot the way they did with Me, it's bound to be a crock of ****.

Date: March 17, 2003 02:10AM
Thanks all, for all your advice! For right now I am sticking to win98se, I am getting XPpro this week and will try it out, if the framerate is less than what I get with 98 then I will stick to 98.

I only play games on my PC anyway....
Date: March 17, 2003 04:28AM
Jon,
Do you want to try 98SE?

Date: March 17, 2003 06:04AM
Posted by: captainvik
I use WIn98se and agree... it can be a pain but it certainly gets the most out of older hardware.

With my 3 year old Piii700 o/c to 840 on my Abit Be6 mobo with 256mb and trusty ol' Hercules Gf2mx I get a very respectable and solid I might add 32fps in Gp4 with 3d sound and most things on high except including reduced detail mirrors but not the real killer on my system which is static & dynamic car reflections tho' i still run the advanced car shader.

That is with my own modified/updated version of AveryGP's most excellent and splendiferously spunky big cars.wad that alas has gone the way of things too good to be true (I digress) ... hmmm

Well anyway Win98se rocks on my system and my friends wizz bang XP pro P4 2.6ghz gazzumping machine struggles with Gp4 and although the gfx card is newer and has more bells & whistles I can't see it looks better than mine... but that I spose is no refelection on the PC system but rather the way the game was coded or not , as the case may be.

**** I can waffle on sometimes.... sorry :D
Date: March 17, 2003 06:06AM
but that I spose is no refelection on the PC system but rather the way the game was coded or not , as the case may be.

GP4 is messy and buggy, still. It was badly coded IMO, should have and could have been better :(

I get better pref on most games in XP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy