Concerning sig pic sizes

Posted by Morbid 
Concerning sig pic sizes
Date: March 13, 2003 06:38AM
Posted by: Morbid
I know that this the GP4 forum. I chose to post here for better exposure. If that is wrong, well I guess it will be in the OT-forum soon.

I have noticed that more and more of the sig pics are getting larger. Some of the sig pics are good, and others...

Well the point is, that we have an old agreement that sig pics are restricted to 20K's in size. This is because a high proportion of the users here are still on ISDN (64K), 56K and slower connections. According to the poll on the front page, this is actually 1/3 of the users here.

A sig pic that is 50K takes a couple a seconds to d/l with connections like these, so what´s the problem do you say? Open a thread of 50 replies and you might have to d/l 15-20 different sig pics. That's quickly adds up to a lot of bandwidth and d/l time in sig pics. That's bloody annoying, and it has to be done each time a thread is opened.

So to those of you that have these big sig pics (funny and great as they may be), show some consideration for those stuck in the information bronze and iron age, and and get closer to the 20K limit. Thank you!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Re: Concerning sig pic sizes
Date: March 13, 2003 07:18AM
Posted by: CDN_Merlin
Being on cable, it still takes time to load. Pain in the ass but most people are like "well deal with it or don't read the threads."

Beta tester for;
Descent 3, C & C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,
Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: March 13, 2003 07:33AM
I certainly hope they are not like "well deal with it or don't read the threads".

That's a deplorable attitude. How can people know if they are gonna run into a truckload of big sigs when they open a thread? What are people on slower connections gonna do if they want to join a discussion that has screenshots and so forth? The forum doesn't d/l those first and the sig pics after that. This place has never been about "I can do it, so screw you".

Furthermore, we have a tradition of regulating the behaviour on these forums, by mutual discussions and agreements. If we can't do that anymore, we might has well have opted for supermods to force through everything that needs to be done.

Date: March 13, 2003 08:49AM
Posted by: jp2
yes, absolutely right ! i'm one of the 56k-users and i do not even try to open big threads at home, no chance.

greetings, jp
Date: March 13, 2003 08:50AM
Posted by: Zcott
Have to agree with you there, Morbid. Even some of the pics are massive in size and take up a lot of space on the page as well as taking a while to load.

I'll be toning mine down, soon. :P

Date: March 13, 2003 09:15AM
Posted by: Larry
Morbid, your sig is 21k. Heheheh.

Date: March 13, 2003 09:22AM
You can use this one if you like:

It's only 16k with no visual difference (unless I need glasses). :)

Date: March 13, 2003 10:43AM
Posted by: daveb
good point

Date: March 13, 2003 10:47AM
Posted by: JackieStewart
How do you change sig sizes anyway?

....................I quite like this now.
Date: March 13, 2003 11:11AM
Posted by: cynic
Well said Morbid. Who needs a sig anyway?

Cynic
Date: March 13, 2003 11:30AM
Posted by: Xero
I'm guessing this has been aimed at me for one!

The one I have now was 99k... i've compressed it to 35k. You'll have to put up with this until i make a new one.

Date: March 13, 2003 11:33AM
Posted by: tux
"9th-Mar-2003 - DC leads the Championship"

its only been 1 race :P

Date: March 13, 2003 11:44AM
Posted by: Spike02
err, yes, he won the first race, therefore, he is leading ;)

and i'll size mine down soon, first, gotta do some Zmodeling ;P

Date: March 13, 2003 12:14PM
Posted by: Zcott
I don't think you can resize it using HTML, gotta open a graphic editor like Photoshop or PSP and resize it there.

Date: March 13, 2003 12:49PM
Great that we can agree on this again. Perhaps we all can soon return to reading and typing, instead of waiting for the d/l to finish.

JackieStewart, a lot of graphical editors can do it. I think even hypersnap or ACDsee could do it. Basically, you change the size of the pic, or select a different format. Jpg is probably best since it is low size for high qual, and comes with 4 (or so I remember it) different quality formats built in for extra flexibility.

Date: March 13, 2003 01:04PM
Oh and btw, Larry, my sig is not 21K. Since my sig is 21276 bytes, and there are 1024 bytes to a K, then 21276/1024 = 20.77734375K. :P

But thx for the offer. I will think about it, but since it is Vaders creation, and he hosts it, he is probably the dude you want to talk with about this.

Date: March 13, 2003 01:12PM
Fair enough, but isn't 20,7k still beyond the 20k limit. (I'm not going to go down admitting defeat, am I?) ;)

Post Edited (03-13-03 20:13)
Date: March 13, 2003 01:33PM
Posted by: daveb
Date: March 13, 2003 01:55PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Also how about a height/width limit? cause sometimes when people with largeish sigs post one word its rather annoything ;)

Date: March 13, 2003 02:45PM
I have to hand it to you Larry. I have had this sig for ages and no one has ever complained about its size. Many things, but not that. I never thought I would find a bigger cynic and hairsplitter here than me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy