ALPHA CHANNELS

Posted by JackieStewart 
ALPHA CHANNELS
Date: March 13, 2003 04:49AM
Posted by: JackieStewart
DearAll,
Berger Fan indicated that the problem with M.R.'s carswas the Alpha Channel and that they could be altered/ammended to correct the "Matt" finish.
Does anyone know hoe to do this, I'm just starting to edit so I', just learning here.
Mant thanks in advance.
Jackie

....................I quite like this now.
Re: ALPHA CHANNELS
Date: March 13, 2003 10:46AM
Posted by: JackieStewart
No takers to this question then??!

....................I quite like this now.
Date: March 13, 2003 02:59PM
Posted by: erwin_78
i do not fully understand your question, but you can edit the alpha layer (gp4 reflection) in a graphic tool (as i understand PSP and Photoshop) which shows this 4th-layer of the TGA-file.
The tga files is 32bit and has 4 layers. First 3 are red,green,blue and the fourth controls the alpha. You can adjust it by setting it more black or white. It's just like a black & white drawing, only you're not drawing something but controlling the reflection.

WYSIWYG / F1: Overtaking has become a strategy!
Date: March 13, 2003 03:08PM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
If you're using Paint Sho Pro, follow these 10 steps:

1). Open the desired .tga file in PSP.
2). Select Mask-->Load from Alpha Channel & press 'ok'.
3). In the Mask menu, select 'Edit'.
4). In the left & right mouse button colours, make sure you select:
PURE BLACK(0,0,0 in the colour scale),
PURE WHITE(255,255,255) in the colour scale).
5). In the toolbar, select the paintbrush & begin.
6). Using the Black, go over the whole image. The Black represents a full glossy finish, the white, a full matt finish.
Simply use black for the parts of the skin that should reflective, and the white for the other parts.
7). When finished, go to the Mask menu, select 'Save to Alpha Channel', ALWAYS choose Alpha Channel 1'.
8). Save the .tga file in the normal way.
9). Exit PSP, Use GP4Master to insert the .tga into the desired .TEX file, & WadUpdater to install that file into the cars.wad.
10). Fire up GP4 & enjoy! :)

A lot of carskin makers get too carried away with the alpha layers, & make them with too many 'in between levels of shine'. A real F1 car's skin is either glossy or matt(no in between levels). That's how the GP4 skins should be.

Post Edited (03-13-03 22:13)

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy