Model damage idea???

Posted by 97kirkc 
Model damage idea???
Date: March 09, 2003 02:34PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
When I was in bed last nite (of all the times and places to think of ideas!) I was wondering.

The damage model they have in the PC version of Grand theft auto 3 is the best I have ever seen. when you hit a wall the side of the car is pushed and squashed in and damages as in real life.

Is it possible to apply some of this to Grand Prix 4.

So when you scrap past a barrier of something the side pod is all squashed as in real life

It would be soooooo cool if it were possible.

Any ideas anyone?

Re: Model damage idea???
Date: March 09, 2003 02:42PM
Posted by: JackieStewart
I've asked this question around various forums but as far as I've been told, not possible (at least at this point in time) but GP4 would be visually the better.
Jackie

....................I quite like this now.
Date: March 09, 2003 03:01PM
Posted by: tux
no way possible. to do that will need loads of extra code.

if only we had our hands on the gp4 code.... :P

Date: March 09, 2003 03:03PM
Posted by: Ellis
In GP4 this is not possible.

GTA3 cars are built with a shell, and about 3 types of one door. In an undamaged state, dorr one is applied, in a small damage, door 2 is applied, in alot of damage, door 3 is applied, in huge damage, the door obejct is removed.

In GP4 u ca have undamaged or no damage, there is no intermediate states. U can stop parts falling off by making the car one object but thats it

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 09, 2003 03:03PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Well seeing as your known as the CsC4 genius why cant you be the "gp4 code finder at alter it to be cooler" genius?

Date: March 09, 2003 03:30PM
erm, why? i dont want to so i wont.

somthing like it
Date: March 09, 2003 03:38PM
Posted by: erwin_78
on some point, yes.

If there is another sidepod exists which contains the damage, so wheb the non-damaged sidepod tears of on impact. It will show the damage, but the side effect of first losing a sidepod, before showing the damaged one is too bad if you ask me.

WYSIWYG / F1: Overtaking has become a strategy!
Date: March 09, 2003 03:42PM
you could make a carshape with the side pod, then a damaged side pod inside it. so if it gets noked off then it shows a slityly damaged one instead (but the other one still goes flying :P)

Date: March 09, 2003 03:44PM
just one question 97kirkc,

do you have coding experiance? how long have you been in the gp4 community? do you know what it takes to make something for gp4?

you are asking questions that are near impossible or impossible to do!

Date: March 09, 2003 05:05PM
Jon, that damage idea was bloody good! Will only work with sidepods but thats good!

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 09, 2003 05:10PM
but wont work well

Date: March 09, 2003 05:12PM
it will look daft when it comes off, but when ur driving later it wud look decent

Date: March 09, 2003 05:15PM
Posted by: andrew_S
its a good idea, again, but its going to double the polygon count with all those "crumples" its possable as jon says, feasable? not if you ask me, i want to keep my 29fps!

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: March 10, 2003 04:49AM
Posted by: erwin_78
it's not limited to the sidepods, you can do it nearly for every object (nose, wings). The idea is nice, but i don't the result will...and like andrew said, you double the polygon count for something you can't see.

So i won't put any time in this idea.

btw: you're damage level should be set very low, else the objects won't fall off.

WYSIWYG / F1: Overtaking has become a strategy!
Date: March 10, 2003 09:24AM
good idea, but bad result. mabey for gp10 :P

Date: March 10, 2003 10:35AM
Posted by: Zcott
F1 cars don't really crumple, though, do they? If you hit a wall the wrong way, it breaks. The only part of the car that might act look a bit crumpled would be the nosecone.

The best way not to worry about the damage is not to crash in the first place. :P

Date: March 10, 2003 11:30AM
Posted by: Go Alesi
I thought about the 'layers' coming off when we were discussing this very issue in the F1 forum.

But what I thought was that the sidepod that does come off could be shaped to fit the other bit that's left on. Presumeably the sidepod is a different bit of the car that can be seperated in the 3D moddleing bit, yes? Well, have the bit that joins up to the car on the sidepod fitting with the crumpled part of the car that's left. It would mean only a small bit fell off, and wouldn't be as noticable.
Or, could something not be done with the damage model editore Dumass made so that allthough ti fals off, it doesn't actually fall off, it just disappears. There is a bug with a lot of the cars that mean when say, the front wing or front wheel(s) come off, the entire nose of the car up to the cokpit is graphically duplicated (not physically) and comes off too. This could be reversed couldn't it (as this bug is now being mended) so that although things physically come off, they don't graphically?

And yes, I do appreciate the impossibility of modding GP4!

I also think that the last GP game should be made incredibly editable, or, they should give the code away (they'll never need it again, will they) to some editors of the series they know well of(ie Rene Smit and the GpxPatch team) so that the game can be edited and live on forever!!!

Date: March 10, 2003 11:43AM
Posted by: Spike02
"There is a bug with a lot of the cars that mean when say, the front wing or front wheel(s) come off, the entire nose of the car up to the cokpit is graphically duplicated (not physically) and comes off too"

not if the objects of the car are edited and returned to the same order as it was before.

eg. the object list for a gp4 car is:

cockpit
engine
f_l_brakeglow
f_r_brakeglow
left_barge_board
left_front_fin
left_front_suspension
left_front_wing
left_rear_fin
left_rear_suspension
left_sidepod
lower_rear_wing
nose_cone
r_l_brakeglow
r_r_brakeglow
Rear_light_on
right_barge_board
right_front_fin
right_front_suspension
right_front_wing
right_rear_fin
right_rear_suspension
right_sidepod
upper_rear_wing
z_cockpit_insert
z_cockpit_left_mirror
z_cockpit_right_mirror
z_cockpit_visor

.............gasps for breath............

for the damage model to remain normal, the objects must remain in this order

Post Edited (03-10-03 18:45)
Date: March 10, 2003 01:05PM
because they need to be in order, that means that there must be an index somewhere, instead of using the object name, so you should be able to stop them graphicly falling off by adding a dumy object in that position or something. im just thinking out loud now :P because then how do u make it show the crumple? :P

Date: March 10, 2003 01:52PM
it's not limited to the sidepods, you can do it nearly for every object (nose, wings).

not really, cos the damaged wing will stick out over the undamaged one

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy