Car Setups

Posted by thats_great 
Car Setups
Date: February 21, 2003 04:05PM
Posted by: thats_great
Can anyone give me any ideas for a suspension setup for Melbourne. I'm not sure whether to run Soft or Hard suspension.
Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Re: Car Setups
Date: February 21, 2003 04:14PM
Posted by: make
Date: February 21, 2003 06:04PM
Posted by: marcl
Medium as if its to soft the car does not change direction quick enough around the the fast corners. But not to hard or the car spins when u touch the curbs
Date: February 22, 2003 03:34AM
Posted by: Morbid
I prefer soft, and then using the dampers to get it to the reaction time and responsiveness of a stiff suspension.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: February 22, 2003 03:40AM
Posted by: Pooky
why dont u go testing there?

half the fun of the game is to play about with setups and see what lap times u r achieving.

Date: February 22, 2003 08:00PM
The only prob i find with a soft setup and putting dampers and things on is that the rear wheel hits a kurt on accel and the car spins.
Date: February 23, 2003 01:01AM
Posted by: LarryM
Melbourne is driving me nuts :-o. I cannot find a set-up that will allow me to get below 1m29s700. This is almost 4 seconds off pole. :(. Of course it's also my lack of skill, but I can normally place myself somewhere between last year's pole and best in-race lap time. Melbourne and Monaco are thorns in my flesh- I drive on ace with no aids.

I tried vein's setup. Alot of understeer. Springs are on 1200 front 1000 back, anti rollbar 3000 front and 500 back. I've softed up the ARB, the springs should be ok, but you need to use the kerbs on a few places, not too stiff. Traction out of turns is very good with vein's setup, but overall I am total shite. Who's to blame? Now where did I put that mirror? ;)

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: February 23, 2003 02:03AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
LOL@Larry. You know, I go into rookie mode, and put on autobrakes. That way you should get identical laps each time, so you'll know which is the fastest setup. Of course, it may not suit your personal driving style.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: February 23, 2003 03:28AM
Posted by: mercedes
I´m using a "softish" setup on Melbourne. Works really well except for the last left-righthander. Not able to carry enough speed on to main straight.
Loosing seconds there. Best time is 1.28,7.

Rgds,
Date: February 23, 2003 04:03AM
Posted by: Morbid
When I complete my Monaco mission (almost there!), I will have a go at a public Melbourne setup process. Hopefully I won't be too tied up during the next days...

It is hard to say what the problem is LarryM. The springs should give a slight understeer, and the ARB's look like heavy mid-corner oversteer. Perhaps it is the dampers, dif, ride height, or wing settings? When do you get the understeer (in slow/fast corners and going in, mid-turn, exit)?

Mercedes, stiff rear slow damper settings should give you good suspension stability in fast corners. Perhaps you should try that? Beware though, even if traction remains largely unaffected, you might get a lot of "lazy" oversteer going out of slow corners.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: February 23, 2003 05:41AM
Posted by: mercedes
Thanks Morbid, I´ll try that tonight.

Rgds,
Date: February 23, 2003 06:47AM
Posted by: ArexonsF1
In Melbourne, increase the rear wing to 17,18....... let's see.... I soften the suspension but I make the anti-roll bar harder, because of the first turn. That's it!
Date: February 23, 2003 07:56PM
In Melbourne its important not to rush into corners and fight the car around them. The 1st corner is very important and do not break to late into the 2nd corner.

The fast sweep is also vital.

The setup i use gets me pole on hard tyres.

I find soft tyres pointless as they go off after 8 laps.

I always tend to complete 2 flying laps and take the warm up lap easy.

U also have to use curbs on this circuit if u have the susspention to hard u will spin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy