Moved Wheel Positions anyone? (Present for Berger_fan)

Posted by Ellis 
Date: February 07, 2003 07:44AM
Posted by: Ellis

Alot of people keep asking if its possible to move the wheels so we can have proper pre 1998 sets when the car wheels were further appart than they are now days. the answer has always been no...until now. Wheels can be moved, and wheels can be retextured. Im just sorting out the texturing of them now, because it does something odd with the rim colourings

What you do is this:

Normally when you open a Wheel file in GP4, you get the rim. There is no aparent way of loading the tyre itself, but GP4 loads the tyre up and sticks it on the rim.
the problem we had with this was when the rim was moved, GP4 couldnt find the rim anymore, and had nothing to load the tyre onto. Therefore, it didnt load the tyre, but it only loaded the rim in its new postion. (interestingly the textures were removed from it too when it was moved)

The way in which i did it was this - move the rim, and again, GP4 removes the tyre. So simply.....build another wheel in the rim file!! I built another wheel in the rim file and it worked in GP4! Provided its the right size (havent worked out the exact yet) then it looks great! Also havent worked out EXACTLY whats got to be done to texture the tyres. Its possibly just something i have done whilst trying to texture the tyre, but when i load it up in GP4, the rim colour for that car (i.e., McLaren = white, Jag = gold), is displayed on the side walls of the tyre (where it normal says bridgestone/michelin)

Have a gander at the picture

What do you think guys?

After thought - it ight be possible to create more then one wheel in each file...therefore it MIGHT be possible to create the 6 wheel tyrell car. I also THINK its possible to remove a wheel (leave the file, but have it with nothing in it, or an invisible object) and have a 3 wheel car

Thanks to Vader for picture hosting here

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Re: Moved Wheel Positions anyone? (Present for Berger_fan)
Date: February 07, 2003 09:27AM
Posted by: tux
but can u have a wheel per team?

Date: February 07, 2003 10:17AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
nice work dace - figurehead for the editing community ;)

Date: February 07, 2003 10:27AM
Posted by: sasjag
well done Dave! have a pic of Avril for your efforts ;)

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
;)

Post Edited (02-07-03 18:05)

-=-=-=-=-=-
VT Driver
Broders
Date: February 07, 2003 11:16AM
Posted by: Incast
*claps* Well done! You have done the GP4 editing community a massive favour! Bring on the pre 1998 carsets!
Date: February 07, 2003 11:16AM
Posted by: Covfan
Could you make the 3 wheeled Robin Reliant? Delboy and Rodney would be proud of you if you could :)
Date: February 07, 2003 11:34AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Thanks Ellis,

i suppose that when you write: "Normally when you open a Wheel file in GP4, you get the rim.", you wish to say: Normally when you open a Wheel file in ZModeler, you get the rim.

In fact, that's a bug with ZModeler as the files car_wheel_xxxxxx.gp4 store all parts of the tyre, but ZModeler (as Jon's genius) only display the rim.
I'm working on a TyreEditor to fill that gap, but i've still some work in front of me.
But if you want (and have enough time) i could give you all vertex positions to rebuild each tyres in ZModeler :)

Date: February 07, 2003 11:54AM
Posted by: tux
lauri, i dont know how to show the full tires in genius :P i know u can do it, wot do u use to join it?

:-o fantastic dave, absolutely fantastic

Date: February 07, 2003 02:04PM
Posted by: _Erix_
Great news about the tyres!
It's a real bother we can't edit the tyres with either Genius or ZM. So there's more info in the gp4 files then meets the eye? It would be great to have a tyre editor as well...
WOOHOO! :D
Respect is duly paid.

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
still a long way to go.....

but its looking greaT :)
Its possible to change wheel positions for a longer time. I did it same way in 3dsmax. Therefore i used genius to save as wrl and worked with them in gp4. Also CTDP Team used nearly same way for their 95 Mod.

But what i think is that its not possible to make cars using different tyre grafics. Yes its possible to add 2 wheels in front wheel shape but then all cars will use 2 wheels in front.

But - find another way! Its interesing what people find out since genius and zmodeler is released ;)

@ sasjag: Yes Avril is a - cant find a word - girl ;) .

Join the biggest german speaking rpg community for Battlefield 1942 Modifikation "Forgotten Hope".

Visit www.fh-warzone.de for more informations.
Date: February 07, 2003 05:59PM
Posted by: sasjag
@ sasjag: Yes Avril is a - cant find a word - girl

avrils a cute, sexy grrl

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: February 07, 2003 07:23PM
but can u have a wheel per team?

nope, all GP4 wheel bases must be the same :(

Could you make the 3 wheeled Robin Reliant?

In Theroy yes. But all the cars will run as three wheelers

In fact, that's a bug with ZModeler as the files car_wheel_xxxxxx.gp4 store all parts of the tyre, but ZModeler (as Jon's genius) only display the rim.
I'm working on a TyreEditor to fill that gap, but i've still some work in front of me.
But if you want (and have enough time) i could give you all vertex positions to rebuild each tyres in ZModeler

that wud be very usefull. I currently just built a small wheel around the rim because when u re-export the file it removes the tyre

still a long way to go.....

Very much, but i sure we will get there soon

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: February 07, 2003 08:21PM
Ok, heres a problem for you.......this might be solved by moving the suspersion, but im not sure...

When u move the wheels out, they do not act as wheels anymore. They become normal objects. When the new wheels touch, they dont flip over each other. When they touch the grass, it doesnt have an effect.

BUT

GP4 still thinks the tyre is in the orgional position, just invisible. So when u get far enough on the grass, it does rumble, because the old tyre wud have been there.

Hard to explain, but you'll know wot i mean!

Date: February 08, 2003 03:25AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Yep, i'm not surprised at all.

Gp4 cars part have a 3D mesh (the visible part) and a 3D "bound mesh" (invisible).
So even if you change the visible 3D mesh, Game use original bounds to detect collisions.
There's a file named car_colisision_mesh.ct in the cars.wad and i think we will find some appropriate answer in it, but i personnaly havn't found how to read them.

i think we need this wheel editor, to move the wheel and rim together, all looks and seems a bit of a mess to me atm, i got a few questions for you, as im a bit confused atm, lol just needs a bit more development i spose
so we could have a grid of trotters independent traders vans racing? :)

-=-=-=-=-=-
VT Driver
Broders
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy