Forums' moderation

Posted by Bruno 
Forums' moderation
Date: January 30, 2003 12:24AM
Posted by: Bruno
As you may have experienced, our forums are only slightly (if at all) moderated. For three reasons:

1. We (still) believe in freedom of speech, unlike some Finish website where I have the honour to be banned for almost 2 years now.

2. We deperately count on the common sense of our users.

3. Lack of time, to be honest.

Sadly, this laiser-faire often leads to meaningless topics. Also, some sensible topics suddenly turn into general discussion or into pure sillyness.

If you want to make/ keep this forum worth visiting, please use clear topics and stay on topic.

If you are seriously interested and have the time to moderate one of our forums, please contact me or Stephan via our contact section.

Thank you in advance,
Bruno
Re: Forums' moderation
Date: January 30, 2003 07:20AM
Posted by: Vader
I don't think we need moderators in here. Look at all the troublemakers we had ín here and how many of them we have turned into valuable members. This forum has a tradition of governing itself. We should not break with that.

If Stephan or Bruno choose to delete a post I will not object because it is their site - I would not like, however, others to decide what's hot and what's not. Did I say "like"? I think "accept" would have been the right word.

Don't introduce moderators here, I'll even promise to be a good boy and stay on topic in this forum ...

Post Edited (01-30-03 14:20)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 30, 2003 09:17AM
Posted by: tux
"unlike some Finish website where I have the honour to be banned for almost 2 years now"

2 years man? why, just whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy??? :';(

im i correct in guessing the finnish site? :P

Date: January 30, 2003 09:30AM
Posted by: Morbid
I have to agree with Vades. I like the self-organizing and self-governing principles here, even though I do (both justified and not-so justified) get my nose whacked from time to time.

But I have noticed that there is a wish for more moderation, at least according to the poll on there was held on the main site. Perhaps we could get some of those that want more moderation to speak up and say whats on their mind?

Btw, I have to congratulate on the excellent poll topics. Like, the current poll shows that at least 1/3 of the users (or at least of those that cared to vote) are still on 56k or slower. That means that there is still a very good reason to maintain the max 20k sig banner agreements, the warnings in the headers for threads which contain loads of pics and so on.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: January 30, 2003 12:11PM
Posted by: Glyn
I agree that we do move away from the topic slightly (ok, quite a bit), and I have done this myself, but generally if we need to get back on topic everybody is more than happy too. For example, a post about GP4 performance can move onto the topic of green elephants, but if somebody asks another GP4 related question then it still gets answered.

I personally like the light hearted nature of the forum.

Date: January 30, 2003 05:00PM
Posted by: NunoEspadinha
i think it's that that makes these forums unique... we go off topic, than we come again on topic...etc.... it's cool...

this community knows how to defend himself from morons.. and believe me, in the beginning the moderators get more questions than fun.. , and why this and why that, and make this and make that.. believe me, cos i know what i'm talking about... the guys that go for mods will not have an easy life in the beginning.. and wil start to see this as a job.. and not fun...

i really liked this forum always cos' of that light, fun, comprehensive behaviour

my two cents

-----------------------------
Virtual-Games.com: [www.virtual-games.com]
Virtual-Games.com Racing Team: [racing.virtual-games.com]

Date: January 30, 2003 06:02PM
Posted by: Zcott
How about a poll to see who would wish to see a moderator, and if so, who?

Date: January 31, 2003 01:20AM
Posted by: mortal
I'd have to agree on the self governing rule, it works up to a point, but...and there's always a but, we all know about the occasional one or two who come in here and make a complete and absolute nuisance of themselves for no reason other than just annoying the crap out of everyone, flaming and being abusive. Then, and only then should the moderator/s step in and do some serious wrist slapping. Far better to eliminate problems early on rather than having to sit back and see the forum being turned into some idiots personal playground to abuse other members. As you know, especially members from 'Ye olde Phorum" this has happened before and driven everyone crazy as a result. If there is a moderator this sort of thing won't happen. Abusive threads are deleted and the flamer/s can see quite quickly that their message just isn't getting across :-) I see a moderators job as merely to do just that, to moderate and not play God, to work quietly and fairly in the background without any fanfare. I would vote only for this type of moderation or none at all. Anyway I've said before if it ain't broke why fix it ;-) Here in this forum there is a core group of users that go waaay back to ye olde phorum and beyond, these are the users that somehow or other manage to regulate this forum without even knowing that they do so, just by virtue of their longevity. Occasionaly a nose gets out of joint here and there but it's all part of the learning process ;-) Also I can remember far back in the mists of time being quite dismayed when the forum changed to this current format, but I've actually managed to get used to it. Some of you would remember that there was no html linking, sig pics or any fancy bells and whistles. :-) This is a great place, by far the best GP series site and forums on the planet, and as for that other one that has banned Bruno, everyone knows where it is but no-one wants to go there :-) hehe. Cheers.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 31, 2003 08:10AM
Posted by: Ellis
I think we need one or two 'moderators' but for a slightly different reason as other forums

All we need is someone to every-so-often delete posts like the thread by sveps, cos it was all spam, and DaveBs (old) racsit comments.

Thats all, no other reason. Because Bruno/Stefan cant be on everyday, they cant possibly do this. Moderators cud have the power to do that tho, which wud help the forum. As long as they dont go power mad, which im sure they wudnt!

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: January 31, 2003 09:00AM
I still don't think we need moderators. The community itself is strong and we have found a way to deal with certain trouble makers. Besides a little fight every now and then can do no harm.

Nobody moderates Vader, nobody rules Vader. I don't need moderators, I don't want them and I will not comply to anyone except Stephan and Bruno.

Post Edited (01-31-03 16:01)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 31, 2003 01:31PM
Posted by: Ellis
LOL vades

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: January 31, 2003 01:44PM
Posted by: LS.
Nobody moderates Vader, nobody rules Vader. I don't need moderators, I don't want them and I will not comply to anyone except Stephan and Bruno.

and MRS VADER :)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: January 31, 2003 02:05PM
Mrs Vader is a Vader as well, so it is right to say nobody rules Vader.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 01, 2003 09:37AM
Posted by: Glyn
this community knows how to defend himself from morons.. and believe me, in the beginning the moderators get more questions than fun.. , and why this and why that, and make this and make that.. believe me, cos i know what i'm talking about... the guys that go for mods will not have an easy life in the beginning.. and wil start to see this as a job.. and not fun...

I have to agree NunoEspadinha. A moderator job isnt easy, believe me. I quit from mine. You get lots of stick from people, and its very easy to get in their bad books because you closed their thread. Although I do agree to Ellis's comments "All we need is someone to every-so-often delete posts like the thread by sveps, cos it was all spam, and DaveBs (old) racsit comments."

Date: February 01, 2003 09:39AM
This is waht Bruno and/or Stephan do anyway, so why introducing moderators?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 01, 2003 02:02PM
Vader wrote:

> This is waht Bruno and/or Stephan do anyway, so why
> introducing moderators?

Isn't this the real essence of the problem that we face? Not the spelling of what, nor that the forum is already loosely moderated, but rather that those that want more moderation are not saying what they want?

There is a reason that Bruno opened up for this discussion. I gather that the poll which expressed some 20%-30% (can't remember the exact figure) or so for more moderation, and perhaps some recent events, which shall remain unmentioned, led to the conclusion that there both is a need and a desire for more moderation. This might very well be true. I don't know if it is or not.

But as long as it is only those that do not want more moderation that participate in this discussion, how can we reach a conclusion on how to proceed? Whats the point of establishing a system of moderation and a set of guidelines for the moderators, if they do not solve the issues that made users vote for more moderation? Then those that don't want it will be unhappy, and those that wanted it will be unsatisfied by the steps that was taken.

SO! To those of you that voted for more moderation, speak up! COME FORTH! Don't be intimidated by all the people who speak up loudly against more moderation. If it can be shown that it is needed, I am very certain that everyone, even Vader, will be more than interested in figuring out what we can do about it. And perhaps we might even find an agreement that satisfies all wishes, that can be implemented without more moderation. But we need more input...

Post Edited (02-01-03 21:05)

Date: February 01, 2003 02:19PM
I am very certain that everyone, even Vader, will be more than interested in figuring out what we can do about it

Why not cut a long story short and make me be your moderator?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 01, 2003 02:30PM
Or make me your moderator? Surely you would not object to that?

Date: February 01, 2003 02:54PM
I have nothing against absolute power - as long as it me who has it.

Imagine, brother, how we would rule this forum together, side by side, as if it was OUR Netherworld!

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 01, 2003 03:23PM
Posted by: Zcott
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy