resolution problem

Posted by LarryM 
resolution problem
Date: January 29, 2003 03:59AM
Posted by: LarryM
can any of you processor heads help me?
My pre-updated pc was 1.2 GHz Athlon T-bird.
The update included the below mentioned CPU, Main Board, and RAM.

Before updating I could run games like f12002 and rally trophy on 1600x1200 16.
When I try to set this resolution the screen goes black and I get an out of range message. F12002 configuration will let me set 1600x1024 or so and the monitor accepts this.

Why is this happening to me? hot

What can I do to correct it? :-o

I have tried changing the frequency on the monitor, but nothing helps. Gp4 looks good at 1280x1024, but I would like to try.

If you don't know how to fix it, Can I set another resolution 1600 x 1024 /for example)? The in-game menu does not offer anything other tha 1600x1200 at that level.

Post Edited (01-29-03 11:00)

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Re: resolution problem
Date: January 29, 2003 05:50AM
Posted by: Morbid
Out of range means that your monitor has exceeded its limits for either the vertical or the horizontal refresh rates or both of them. This can be corrected, and it is usually done in the display properties panel.

However, I can see that you are using a GF card. Nvidia lost control of the refresh rate settings for the detonator driver set somewhere around version 27.xx or so. Rumour has it, that this issue only concerns the drivers for XP, however I can confirm that it most certainly is present for the WinMe drivers as well. I can set a given refresh rate, but as soon as my computer switches over to Direct3D or OpenGL driven gfx, then the refresh rate goes nuts. GP4 would like my monitor to use a refresh rate of 150Mhz, and so does several other games! So, my best bet is, that it is most likely that if you try to force the refresh rate through the display properties panel, that it will work on the desktop and in normal applications, but it will fail for gaming purposes.

I use a little app called HzTool to force the refresh rate to do my bidding. And it works. There isn't a program that switches my monitor away from the 100mhz I have set it to use, no matter which resolution I use, or what kind of GFX engine powers the program. Get it here: [hem.spray.se]

Alternately, you can get 3rd party fixed drivers for XP, where the refresh bug should be nerfed. I dunno if they work, but as far as I remember, you can get them here [www.guru3d.com]

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: January 29, 2003 06:10AM
My humble thanks Oh great one. Iwill start experimenting this evening. (When I updated the pc, the store kindly updated win 98 and of course video drivers. I used to have 28.xx and now its 42.70- I think).

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: January 30, 2003 12:19PM
Posted by: Glyn
Yup, were on 42.70 now. I havent downloaded them yet though. Are they any good?

Post Edited (01-30-03 19:28)

Date: January 31, 2003 12:53AM
I think they are faster (fps) but the problem I have is described above, and Morbid seems to have sussed the reason.

I have downloaded Hztool. Though I must admit, I don't know how to use it. I tried making a few adjustments, but it did't make any difference. Just my ignoranceMorbid, can you post a screen shot of what I need to to to get my 1600x1200 back?

At the moment I can get 1600x1024 for F12002 (which I havn't played for a long while) but have to settle for 1248 x1024 (I can never remember the precise numbers for these, but you know what I mean) in GP4

Larry
Date: January 31, 2003 06:31AM
Yeah I remember that I was also quite intimidated and confused when I was confronted with the interface of HzTool for the first time. But fear not!

You only really need the driver settings tab. Of course, you can check out the detection of your monitor on the monitor settings tab, but that should work out fine on its own. Ready?

1) You start the program and select a driver in the drop-down menu in the upper left corner. Also remember to select "autodetect monitor at boot".

2) Then you simply go one selection box further down, and select the bit-depth you are gonna use the monitor in. I have selected 16 bit and 32 bit, since I never use 24 and 8 bits for anything.

3) Then you select the default resolution that you normally use at the desktop. Remember that it is generally bad karma to use a lower desktop resolution and bit depth, than you are gonna use in a program. Anyway, I normally use 1024x768 @ 32 bits. After you have selected the resolution, check "confirm change" and "set resolution as default". Then hit the "set" button.

4) Now we are getting into business! The program should now be hooked into your drivers and be ready to tinker with the refresh rates and resolutions. Skip to the right side of the interface and hit "85 hz std". That will set the resolutions and the refresh rates to the most commonly supported and used. Now it is time to finetune it just a bit. The checkboxes are for those resolutions you want HzTool to be able to govern. I have checked 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1600x1200. Now the drop down menus beside each resolution is the refresh rate you want to lock to that specific resolution. I have set all of mine to 100Hz, but many monitors do not support that high a refresh rate for large resolutions. Anyway select the refresh rates you think you monitor can handle. Just don't select the "default" and "optimal" settings, because they give the control of the refresh rates back to the drivers.

5) Click "set" and confirm. Then click "save" and the settings you have selected are written directly to your registry through the drivers. You can close the program, and do not need to run it again unless you want to change something. No fuss, no problems and no questions asked. Once your system loads the registry, the settings you have selected in HzTool are as integrated a part of the OS as program locations, virtual memory, swap file settings and so on.

6) You probably want to check whether it works or not. I have a button on my monitor that I use to get a menu superimposed on any graphics that might be rendered at the moment. At the top of that menu I can see a V: and a H: (Vertical and Horizontal respectively) and those are the refresh rates, V: being the one we have locked with HzTool. Currently H: is at 81,4Hz and V: is at 100,0Hz. I dunno if you can do something similar, but it is nice to be able to check that it actually works. Anyway, you can just start GP4 and see if you get the "out of range" message. If you do, fir3e up HzTool and lower the refresh rate for 1600x1200.

One word of caution. Drivers can also change refresh rates and write them to the registry. If you change drivers you need to do this again. Also don't touch the refresh rate settings in the display properties panel. It can wipe the info you stored with HzTool.

I hope you can use this, LarryM . Post again if it didn't go as smooth as I typed it :P

Date: January 31, 2003 03:33PM
Hi Morbid,

thanks for taking the time to help me. I followed your instructions to the letter....BUT Hztool seems to have removed the possibility of doing 1600x1200. It shows this as my monitor's max resolution. The relevant box is ticked, all is set and saved. After this I find that 1600x1200 has disappeared (1600x1024 is visible then next is 1920x1200). The same thing happened to F12002 confifuration program; 1600x1200 is no longer an option. Weird eh? This only confirms the prevailing truth, I was unable to go above 1600x1024 without getting an "out of range" message. Any suggestions?

Larry
Date: January 31, 2003 04:18PM
Very odd indeed?!?

I did a little research on your monitor, and as you can see from the following link [www.noritech.ca] your monitor is very capable of going up to 1600x1200 albiet only at 75Hz. And the info seems very creditable since it is also here [www.sharkyextreme.com] Anyway thats better than most monitors who don't support this resolution, or only support it at 60Hz. Surely it isn't the GFX card either, since my GF2 GTS can do 1600x1200...

I think we have a compound problem; that is when more than one problem contributes to creating the not-so-desirable situation. I have an idea, so I will just do a quick search more, and get back to you.

Date: January 31, 2003 04:42PM
:)

I think I got it. The drivers of your monitor also set a limit on resolutions and refresh rates. Most people use the Standard VGA monitor drivers that came on the CD. Back in 97 when Win98 was shipped, there were not that many monitors that could handle 1600x1200, and some even got damaged if you tried. So the default drivers on the win98 cd are pretty conservative.

What you need to do is to download and install the drivers for you monitor. You can find drivers for all the versions of windows here:

[www.samsungelectronics.com]

You will probably need to do a reboot after you installed the drivers.

Anyway, fire up HzTool and select the "monitor settings" tab. The first field should state the name of your monitor. It may be a drop down menu, if you have options to choose from. Mine shows two sets of AOC Spectrum 7Glr & 7GlrA, one gives allows a slighly horizontal refresh than the other. The second field should say what your maximum resolution is and that should be 1600x1200. If it says that, you should be ready to rock and roll...

Date: February 01, 2003 12:37AM
Thanks again Morbid. I will try updating my monitor's drivers. Withthe same video card , lower processsor etc (before updating pc) I had easily 1600x1200 on many games. It's clearly a driver problem. According to Hztool, the max is 1600x1200. It records the monitor as being
Samsung950p(t)
Horizontal: 30-96, vert: 50-160, h/v sync: +,+, aspect ratio 3/4, max refresh rate 117,2 (1024x768 16b), logical dpi 96x96. Energy star comp: ticked.
I already upadated smasun drivers a while ago, but will go for latest again. I'll let you know. :)

Larry
Date: February 01, 2003 01:34AM
No, it didn't help. When istalling, it says cannot find "smp950p.icm. I cansee this file imy unzipped folder and even when I point at it, it doesn't seem o find it. Strange. So I have to skip it.

Larry
Date: February 01, 2003 03:27AM
Well if the installer can't figure it out, perhaps you should try it manually. Extract all of the files into one folder, and then go into then "device manager" in "system properties" via "Start" -> "control panel", and select your monitor and hit "properties". Go to the "driver" tab and click "update driver". You should be able to select a list of drivers to choose from. Then select "have disk" and point it to the folder where you unzipped the files. That should work.

Date: February 01, 2003 10:11AM
Posted by: Covfan
You think you have resolution problems? Every time I increase mine the performance improves!
Date: February 01, 2003 11:38AM
Posted by: tux
same here :P

me and vader were talking bout it the other nite

Date: February 02, 2003 08:48AM
You think you have resolution problems? Every time I increase mine the performance improves!

I really wouldnt complain. I wish my PC was like that!

Date: February 02, 2003 08:55AM
Posted by: tux
some gfx cards cope better under more pressure :P

Date: February 03, 2003 02:03AM
Posted by: Ellis
But then why is it only GP4 which increases with Res, not all games when you use that gfx card!?

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: February 03, 2003 11:59AM
GP4 simply put is a strange case im afraid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy