Which wheel for GP4??

Posted by AveryGPFan 
Which wheel for GP4??
Date: January 21, 2003 06:45AM
Posted by: AveryGPFan
Hiya,
Being a stupid geezer, I left a pillow on my power adaptor for my Thrustmaster GT wheel and the whole thing melted!! And so I'm after a new wheel. The Thrustmaster is a nice wheel - strong motor, plenty of FF efects and meaty black rubber. I don't want to buy the same wheel coz it's got a nasty bug that disables FF occassionally.
I've heard the MOMO wheels are good and the Microsoft Sidewinders - basically i'm after a wheel that works well with GP4 meanig no bugs, no hickups. Anyone happy with their wheel in GP4?? Don't want to spend more than £80.........thnx
Re: Which wheel for GP4??
Date: January 21, 2003 07:14AM
Posted by: LarryM
I have a MS Sidewinder FF (old) and a Logitech MOMO (new). There was a problem with the MOMO after 6 months, the pedals got screwed up. They gave a new one at the shop and I am satisfied.

For a couple of days I had to use the MSSW again. The rubber is corroded away, shreads of sweat stained rubber hanging from the wheel. It works perfectly. The optic system means it is always calibrated. I have no complaints..except the rubber. But my son and I gave it a run for all it was worth. It still a backup for us.

The MOMO is a fantastic wheel. You need to run the set-up after booting your pc, otherwise in most games (incl GP4) the wheel is off centre when driving straight.

It seems very strong, leather-not rubber! The aluminium pedals and paddles are very convincing. The wheel is very precise and a joy to drive. It is expensive though. Here in Finland they sell for EUR 175. The problem had with the first wheel has occurred in a few wheels. But as I said, It got replaced with no fuss. I love that wheel.

If your budget is tight buy the MSSWFF. I asked in the shop and they said that not one has been returned for faults. It's a nice wheel- but where some kind of handwear, if you drive as much as I do.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: January 21, 2003 07:43AM
Posted by: Vader
I also have the MOMO and it was a brilliant choice. I have a Saitek R4 Force wheel as well which is very good, too. I like the look of it even more than that of the MOMO, but unfortunately Saitek does not produce them anymore. You can still get some at ebay, but they do not run under XP. The first Saitek R4 I had took me about 4 years to destroy it. Now I bought another one from ebay, just for the looks of it.

(Before someone tells me, I know that the Saitek pic shows the non FF version of the wheel. I just couldn't find any other good pic and apart from a little FF on/off switch at the left of the wheel base and silver stickers instead of yellow ones it does not look different)

I might buy myself some MSSW FF wheel at ebay as well, just to compare them all. My house will be turned into the first FF wheel museum worldwide. I guess the missus can't wait to see this happen ;-)

If you don't want to spend the money for the leather MOMO, there is a also a cheaper full rubber version available.

Post Edited (01-21-03 14:53)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 21, 2003 08:24AM
I used to be indecisive but know I'm not too sure.. I don't which one to get, will pop down to PCworld tomorrow and see if they've got the cheaper rubber MOMO, is the FF as good as the more expensive one??
Thanx for your input, much appreciated..
Date: January 21, 2003 09:55AM
Posted by: tux
i VERY HIGHLY recommend the MOMO Force best wheel ever!!!

Date: January 21, 2003 10:09AM

Logitech® MOMO® Force

retail price UK £129,99

Force Feedback

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 21, 2003 10:19AM
To make things even more complicated - if you are a Ferrari fan you might want to have a look at this one:

Thrustmaster F1 Force Feedback Racing Wheel

retail price UK £119.99

The best Force Feedback wheel for PC : the unique Formula 1 world champion replica wheel , officially licensed by Ferrari®

Thrustmaster

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 21, 2003 11:11AM
I'm gonner go for the MOMO Logitech rubber wheel - if it's not in PC world will have to order from somewhere. Thanks Vader :D
Date: January 21, 2003 11:16AM
vader

i had that wheel. took it back boxing day coz it broke. turn it at all and the driver unloads

Date: January 21, 2003 11:22AM
i had that wheel

LOL - which one? I posted about 5 wheels in this thread ...

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 21, 2003 12:00PM
Date: January 21, 2003 12:40PM
Phew..
Thrustmaster have poor product replacment in the UK - in fact none existant for my morphed power adaptor. Frustrating!!
.. the rubber MOMO's looking good still so far.
Date: January 21, 2003 12:58PM
mines not rubber, its leather :)

Date: January 21, 2003 01:11PM
Posted by: Glyn
dUmAsS wrote:

> mines not rubber, its leather :)
>
>

Im glad mines not leather. Im happy with my skin covered one thank you very much.

Date: January 22, 2003 09:21AM
Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy either the rubber or Leather Momo wheel in the UK. Dabs is the best i've seen so far....??
Date: January 22, 2003 09:31AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
And to make things even more complicated the best value for money wheel on the market at the moment is...

the thrustmaster ferrari force feedback racing wheel gt

i have it and the new version has better, more realistic pedals and is a complete bargin at £79.99 at pc world.

Ive had it for over 2 years, hasnt failed once

Date: January 22, 2003 10:41AM
Well, it's done and dusted. One Logitech® MOMO® Force Leather version
£100 from Dabs - No gear stick, guess one can be added later:D Thanks again..
Date: January 22, 2003 10:56AM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
I've got that same one (T/master Ferrari ff £79.99 version). It's as solid as a rock, but it's only flaw, is that it's turning circle isn't large enough. A good wheel should turn at least fully 180 degrees(ideally 200 degrees) in each direction. This wheel turns about 120.
Does anyone know which wheel has a larger turning circle?

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
Date: January 22, 2003 11:06AM
The momo has 270 degrees..
Yea the Thrustmaster GT didn't turn enough either - in violent situations felt like I might snap the wheel past the turning lock.
mm, 270 degrees - that's almost enough for crossed arms. Can't wait:D
Date: January 22, 2003 12:21PM
That's 270° in total and not in each direction. 135° to the left and 135° to the right.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy