Texture mapping problem (baz)

Posted by genesis 
Texture mapping problem (baz)
Date: January 21, 2003 03:56AM
Posted by: genesis
Okay this is a query from Bazza, he can't log in atm.

He needs help with a texture mapping problemo, can anyone shed any light on what sort of things he could try to do to sort those kind of things out?

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Re: Texture mapping problem (baz)
Date: January 21, 2003 05:13AM
Posted by: bazza
say what?

Is this a different bazza?

I don't play GP4 anymore, my computer is too ****

Baz

Date: January 21, 2003 05:37AM
Posted by: andrew_S
what exactly is the problem?
Date: January 21, 2003 06:10AM
Posted by: bazbarrow
I can post again, thanks webmaster :)

Problem is this:

I open the car(s) in gp4genius and I get to see the correctly mapped 3d model after extracing wad, then tex to tga etc. But the strange thing is that if I open one of the textures in photoshop6 then if I save it over itself, then reload the car in gp4genius the mapping has gone strange, as if the texture is back to front?

Anyone know why this stuff it up? Perhaps it has something to do with alpha channels?

cheers
Baz

Date: January 21, 2003 07:43AM
Posted by: bazza
lol

methinks a mixup

Baz (The real one) :p :p :p

Date: January 21, 2003 07:51AM
Posted by: Ellis

I open the car(s) in gp4genius and I get to see the correctly mapped 3d model after extracing wad, then tex to tga etc. But the strange thing is that if I open one of the textures in photoshop6 then if I save it over itself, then reload the car in gp4genius the mapping has gone strange, as if the texture is back to front?

textures often appear upside down from the way in which u designed them

what i do is this

1) map the shape to the car in ZM, and when it looks good, export it. IF the textures appear upside down in GP4, i open the textures, flip them VERTICLY and save again. It might not look right in ZM or GP4Genius, but they will display correctly in GP4

Does that help ya a bit?

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: January 21, 2003 10:08AM
Posted by: AveryGPFan
Hi Baz, small world eh.. hope your making progress.
Can anyone help me out.
I'm using Zmodeler only for shape editing. I load say car_sauber_car1_lod_0.GP4. Then extract TEX files (HI_sauber_x etc) to TGA. Then assign in material editor sauber_1 with main textures as Hi_sauber_1 - sauber_2 and _3 also with correct TGA's. Also assign cockpitdmg.tga with black colour for suspension etc. So the car looks great and correct in Zmodeler - export as .GP4 save to extracted wad, wad it up and shape appears in-game but no textures, just grey. What I am missing out here....... And when I load the exported .GP4 into Zmodeler again the textures have also dissapeared there too!! help.. Like it isn't saving the assigned materials.
Date: January 21, 2003 12:02PM
Hi all,

thanks for all the help. The bit I dont get is that if I extracted a tga then make one slight alteration and resave, then the mapping goes to pot. The tga within the texture file are the sma eexcept this one small difference.

Cheers
Baz

Date: January 21, 2003 12:06PM
Hi all,

thanks for all the help. The bit I dont get is that if I extracted a tga then make one slight alteration and resave, then the mapping goes to pot. The tga within the texture file are the same eexcept this one small difference.

Cheers
Baz

Date: January 21, 2003 12:07PM
Posted by: tux
hi,

the default textures load upside down in genius. so what i done was to flip them. this is stupid tho :P

Date: January 21, 2003 10:21PM
hehe, i've cracked it:D
Edit shapes in Zmodeler and assign materials in Zmodeler then load and save in Genius - new shape and textures show in GP4, car looks exactly the same in-game as it does in Genius preview......... now then Sauber 2002 comin right up: )
Date: January 22, 2003 09:12AM
Posted by: tux
might be coz ure saving as compressed tgas? or un compressed?

Date: January 22, 2003 09:34AM
I wish someone would wirte a tutorial on GP4 carshape editing/texture mapping using Zmodeler/Genius...
Date: January 22, 2003 02:06PM
hehe, i've cracked it:D
Edit shapes in Zmodeler and assign materials in Zmodeler then load and save in Genius - new shape and textures show in GP4, car looks exactly the same in-game as it does in Genius preview......... now then Sauber 2002 comin right up: )

its because you were assigning the materials as say car01.tga, rather than car01, with no extention, therefore in game its looking for the tga, which obviously isnt there, what you have to do, is extract the tga's to the same dir as the car model file, then load the model up in zm, shouldnt have any problems
Date: January 22, 2003 08:02PM
Thankx, will try that. So there's no need for Genius, can all be done in Zmodeler?? What about saving back to wad file. There's no need to convert the TGA's back is there, the original TEX's are already in there - or does every TGA you used in the same folder as edited .GP4 have to be con verted back to TEX then the whole contents of folder is pasted into wad??
Date: January 22, 2003 10:27PM
Posted by: mckey415
He-he!!!
Actually I tried to resolve all this problems a little earlier but didn't succeed. The problem with fliiped textures and incoorect mapping in ZM is in TGA file format. If you create a file in Photoshop and try to save in as tga it will ask you to enter a TGA format: 16, 24 or 32 bits/pixel. The tga's that you download from EMAC's site are 32 bpp. BUT!!! If you take the original GP4 carshape and put to the same directory with these TGA's and then import the car to ZM - you'll see completely wrong mapping in 3d view. That's what you've seen!
All GP4 related tools, like GP4Master, TEXEditor, etc, save TGA's in 24 or 16 bpp - i don't know wich exactly. But if you replace EMAC's textures with TGA's created with these tools and once again open gp4 shape in ZM you'll see that the mapping in 3d view is correct. That's it! - you think! But don't be so quick. If you make any changes to the shape and try to remap it, the texture will be shown flipped vertically in UV mapper view. So you wouldn't be able to create a correct mapping.
With 32bpp there's no such problems. When you try to map the faces everything's gonna be alright. But If you export the car to the game you'll see that remapped faces are not maped correctly. So here you'll need to flip your texture vertically and export it to that game as it was already written here.
Actually you will recieve the same probleme if you create any shape from a scratch with ZM and thy to map it with 24bpp tga. It will come flipped vertically already in a preview window in material editor. And there's no any problems with 32bpp tga's.
Seems that the problem lies in the gp4 format but noone could explain me what it is. I asked Oleg, ZM developer, but he answered that i should use 32 bpp tga's. Also i asked Zack Griffin, the author of fantastic Williams carshpe, but he answered that he uses GP4Master created TGA's and doesn't have any problems.
So, it's a strange problem. Some people can make a cars but they don't know how they do that...
I'll be glad if someone can resolve it.
Date: January 23, 2003 03:49AM
all tgas have to be 32bit to accomodate the alpha channel

I really dont know where your going with that point, it doesnt make much sence or have much logic to me, oleg said there was a mistake with the flipping of the textures, and to avoid this all you do, is flip the texture in photoshop basically, problem solved, in uv mapper, just rotate the area you plan to map, problem solved.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy