Could THIS be it?!?!?!?!?

Posted by Go Alesi 
Could THIS be it?!?!?!?!?
Date: January 04, 2003 01:38PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
Hi,
before I re-installed windows I had DirectX 8.1a on my comp. I think it came from the F1 2002 CD, but as I took that back, I can't be sure. I was getting 'below average' (ie, less than what I should have been getting) on GP4

Anyway, when I re-installed windows I had to re-install dx 8.1. I installed it from the GP4 CD (which I hadn't before). I though it was 8.1a, but when I installed Age of Mythology, it didn't ask me to instal 8.1b. It needs 8.1b to run, so the GP4 CD must contain 8.1b.

So GP4 in theory needs v. b, but can use v.a. So it could be that this'll lead to a performance increase. I don't know yet because I haven't installeg GP4 again atm. But for people who are struggling, it's worth a try.

Bye

Re: Could THIS be it?!?!?!?!?
Date: January 04, 2003 02:32PM
Posted by: tux
gp4 might not be getting the a or b bit, so installing b will be better then a (i think i had dx 8 not 8.1 or something :s)

mabey thats why its bad :P

Date: January 04, 2003 02:33PM
Posted by: CDN_Merlin
DX 9 works better for me with GP4. I got about 10 fps more in GP4.

Beta tester for;
Descent 3, C & C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,
Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: January 04, 2003 02:52PM
Posted by: Ellis
I'd rather not try it cos shortcuts seem to screw up and some ppl cant even run it from the exe anymore

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: January 04, 2003 05:27PM
Posted by: Orpheus
"DX 9 works better for me with GP4. I got about 10 fps more in GP4."

jeez thats alot! i must get Dx9 one of these days. you running XP?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: January 04, 2003 11:30PM
Posted by: variante_ascari
what? an extra 10fps??? you gotta be kidding!!! that's hell alot!!!

Date: January 05, 2003 03:12AM
Posted by: Go Alesi
dumass-it is 8.1 on the CD, and it says it needs 8.1 (it doesn't actually specify a or b), so if you have 8.0 it shouldn't run, or, in theory, it should have hampered your performance.

I didn't think Dx 9.0 worked with GP4. I'm not risking it!!

Date: January 05, 2003 06:01AM
Posted by: Incast
Dx 9.0 doesn't work with the patch but works with the original.
Date: January 05, 2003 06:08AM
Posted by: Vader
Dx 9 DOES work with the patch. YOu just cannot start the game with shortcut anymore. he shortcut linkls to that autostart thingy which cannot cope with Dx9. If you go to the GP4 folder and run the Gp4.exe you will have no problems. Just delete the shortcut Gp4 installation has placed on your desktop and make a new one linking to the exe.

(credits to Morbid)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 05, 2003 06:17AM
Posted by: simonsteele
hmm, i might try that then

Date: January 05, 2003 01:58PM
Posted by: matthewp
I heard a microsoft employee who has just left said that anyone who uses DirectX 9.0 on anything other than a spare PC is mad. Its still a beta, you're better off waiting for 9.1

Date: January 05, 2003 05:05PM
Posted by: Orpheus
:o. if a microsoft employee said that merlins pc shd be blowing up any minute now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: January 06, 2003 02:33AM
Posted by: Glyn
Ive installed DX9 now, and had no problems with it. 9.1 will be better, but then again, DX10 will be even better than that. You have to stop somewhere.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy