Melbourne setup

Posted by jt 
Melbourne setup
Date: January 03, 2003 05:19AM
Posted by: jt
I am try to complete a championship at medium difficulty but I cannot set the car up to be fast enough, I am using a McLaren but I am about a second a lap slower than the top runners, even when I am on the same pit stop stratergy as they are, does anyone have a setup which they think could work?
Re: Melbourne setup
Date: January 03, 2003 09:10AM
Posted by: Glyn
When I did a race at Melbourne I took the default setup, reduced the wing angle a tad, and set the car slightly softer. This made it easier to ride the kerbs, and go quicker down the straight. Its more down to personal preference though, I like a car that grips well.

Date: January 03, 2003 10:02AM
Posted by: Vader
Have you ever thought about improving your dribver skills? This can make you even faster than a good setup.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 03, 2003 11:39AM
Posted by: Keithb
Dribver skills????????????
Date: January 03, 2003 12:58PM
Posted by: Vader
This is something only Ungodly Demon Kings like me and my nocturnal spawn have. You miserable mortal lot must be content with mere driver skills

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 03, 2003 05:18PM
Posted by: Keithb
Damn!!! I wish I had dribver skills.
Date: January 04, 2003 02:35AM
Posted by: LarryM
Hi Jon,

I have just spent a hour setting up Melbourne and qualifying on ace. I cannot reach the 1m26(1m27 of the best of the grid but I finally got below 1m30, Best was 1M29s904. Still about 4-5 seconds off the best. Mostly I need to improve my driving and there are at least 3 turns where I think I could take off up to half a second.
As a rule I find that taking a corner in a higher gear gives a better time. Why then is it, that in GP4 (and GP3) the computer cars drop down to first gear so often. I know that this is not what the real drivers do, the correct gear choice is known to all of us, But GPx AI uses gears which are for me easier to use , but give me lousy times and the computer cars fantastic times. Explain that.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: January 04, 2003 04:11AM
I agree with you Larry about taking slower corners in a higher gear. Without TC on, it allows you to get more drive out of the corner as you never get wheel spin, but ive done some experiements and with TC on its best to be in a lower gear.

Date: January 09, 2003 01:30AM
Posted by: LarryM
You could be right Neil. With traction control on I have been able - with a lot of practice- to get my laptime down to 1m27s742. This could have been better; it was half a second off Schumachers pole in the same qualifying but sector one, I was - 0.063s and sector 2 already - 0.308s , so I fluffed the last sector. It's still my personal record and I have to say that keeping my gears up is essential (for me at least). This means (racing on Ace with TC on but no other aids):

Corner Gear
1 3
2 4
3 2
4 4
5 5 (small lift on entry)
6 3 (sometimes 2)
7 3
8 6
9 2
10 3
11 5
12 5 (sometimes 6)
13 3
14 5
15 2
16 3

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: January 09, 2003 12:47PM
Yeah. It really depends on the corner. Some corners you think its important to keep the revs up (espically on other games in not so powerful cars) but its actually quicker to stay in a higher gear and keep the speed up. Normally if you do that your carrying an extra 5 mph through the corner you didnt know you were.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy