White ferrari

Posted by dmh 
White ferrari
Date: November 29, 2002 04:51AM
Posted by: dmh
I re-installed the game and have successfully applied the patch (version 1.02 now in the credits). Everything seems OK except that the outside view of the ferrari is totally white. Anyone any ideas?

By the way am I correct in assuming that the existing versions of GPx Patch and GP master etc won't work with version 1.02.

Cheers.
Re: White ferrari
Date: November 29, 2002 04:56AM
Posted by: raztahz
how exactly did you install it?

a) copy paste
b) setup

Date: November 29, 2002 05:04AM
I un-installed the unpatched game completely and then did a new install. I installed the patch following Morbid's instructions in an earlier thread. Everything is fine apart from the white ferrari.
Date: November 29, 2002 05:38AM
Posted by: Ellis
This means that the carshape is not picking up the textures. It is looking for them in the cars.wad, but it not finding them for whatever reason.

This can be because

The shape is pointed at the wrong files
The files are named wrong
GP4 is doing this "missing textures" thing again

Every-so-often with me, GP4 refused to find the corretc textures, despite them being all present and correct. No reason ahs yet been found for this

Open the cars wad and double check the files have the correct names. You could download another Ferrari skin and put that in to see if it works also

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: November 29, 2002 03:34PM
Posted by: kirkvdb
Gp4 confused!?! Since the patch sometimes I drive as Villeneuve and sometimes as Panis......go figure!
Date: November 29, 2002 03:38PM
GP4 is strange

the Drivers head postion and wheel (tyre) positions are stored in the gp4.exe for some reason...

it fetchs the wrong textures sometimes when a shape has been changed...this happens on some comps, but not on others, even when GP4 is exactly the same.

Its a strange game to say the least

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: November 29, 2002 04:18PM
Posted by: andrew_S
maybe that is to do with upper and lower case, in terms of textures sometimes that can be the problem, i havent (Yet) found that in gp4, but it may be the case, did you replace some of the files in the cars wad file?
Date: November 30, 2002 09:19AM
where do I find the car wad files.
Date: November 30, 2002 11:47AM
Posted by: andrew_S
if you have never changed it, it shouldnt be a problem, its in the main gp4 dir, i suggest you look harder next time ;-) hehe :-D
Date: December 05, 2002 11:17AM
Posted by: ravdave
I too get white Ferrari's with no textures, (apart from the "in cockpit" view", but only after using the decrypted GP4 1.02 executable. If I revert back to the official GP4 patched 9.6 version exectuable, the problem does not occur.

The problem therefore would seem to be with the decrypted executable (dated 26 11 02)., obtained from Alpha F1.

I would prefer to play with the decrypted version, as my virus checker seems to takes a long time to allow GP4 to run with the original CD, (which I could keep in pristine condition without danger of acccidental scratches or misinsertion into the CD-ROM drive wrecking it by using the decrypted version).
Date: December 06, 2002 01:41AM
Posted by: Boomy
I experienced same thing with an old test pc ( PIII 800 and TNT first model )

Tha same cars.wad on my Athlon 1400 and GF4 MX 440 runs pretty fine.

So maybe it could be your HW that needs an upgrade,maybe the graphic card.

Boomer
Date: December 06, 2002 03:38AM
So maybe it could be your HW that needs an upgrade,maybe the graphic card.

it is not even that

GP4 does this all the time. When i swapped shapes, i could not make the Arrows shape work in any slot ebcuase it lost all textures. But it worked fine on my other PC, which has EXACTLY the same GP4 setup (exact copy).

For no apprent reason GP4 does this on some PC's, but not others

Date: December 06, 2002 03:56AM
Posted by: Morbid
Its never happened to me. How do you guys get all these weird things going?

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: December 06, 2002 04:02AM
I never had weird things on my old computer. But then i tired GP4 on my new one and i get all the bugs ppl have been mentioning

The White cars i get is becuase i swap the shapes about. I still havent installed the patch. My GP4 runs well enough for me to say its Working. Therefore, why try to fix something thats working?

Date: December 06, 2002 05:01AM
Posted by: Boomy
Which is David Hakin HW config ??

With elder pcs and elder graphic cards it's not rare to play games in black&white mode,same speech for virtua tennis for me.

With newer ones it's hard to see " old style " games.

Boomer

Lumiere bros have a clue on that :)
Date: December 06, 2002 09:49AM
Posted by: ravdave
I've resolved my white Ferrari...!!!

As I mentioned I only experineced this when using dercypted exe file for patch 9.6. The reason.....was because the official patch was not installed correctly at all..!!!. I'll explain in detail just in case anyone else has the same problem.

I originally installed GP4 onto my second hard drive with the following directory path, as I like to install games where I want them, not where the game wants to (which I think is C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Grand Prix 4)

d:\Grand Prix 4

All was fine, then I obtained the zipped self extracting Offical patch 9.6. When you extract this file it wants to extract files to the directory C:\Program Files\Infogrames, and will in actual fact create a new directory with the patch setup files in a new folder called "GP4_Patch v96".

I however origianlly installed to D:\Grand Prix 4, chose to extract the new patch folder to the root of D:\, using winzip. When I then ran the setup file from within the new patch directory, it stated that the game was successfully patched, but it had actually created a new directory called "Grand Prix 4" on my C:\ drive, which had all the patched files in it....grrrrr. Result was that files in D:\Grand Prix 4 where I ran the game from were not updated at all...!!! So when I used the 1.02 decrypted GP4 exe, it was not the right file as my actual game was still unpatched....!!!

I managed to resolve this by uninstalling then re-installing GP4 to the directory D:\Infogrames\Grand Prix 4, and getting the zipped patch to extract the new folder to D:\infogrames. Running the patch setup was then successful.

Then using the new 1.02 decrypted file was fine with no more white Ferrari.
Date: December 06, 2002 10:16AM
Posted by: Morbid
:)

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: December 08, 2002 06:06AM
Posted by: SageInferno
David, you are a genius !

I followed Davids suggestion and not only are the white farraris gone, but I got two FPS more.

Looks like the problem is related to the way that the Patch un-packs itself into a "GP4_Patch v96" folder. My advice - make sure you have this folder in your :\GP4 folder

Sage-Inferno
Date: December 21, 2002 06:48AM
I'm following David's instructions and I realise now that I am unable to even install the official patch. I've been trying on and off for the past three weeks without success.

I'm abandoning Grand Prix 4.
Date: December 21, 2002 06:59AM
Posted by: tux
i unziped it to my desktop, then run the install and it installed to E:\Games\Grand Prix 4\ ok and everything was fine (except it didnt install the gp4.exe properly :p)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy