The GP4 Car Setup and Handling Thread

Posted by jucksman 
Re: The GP4 Car Setup and Handling Thread
Date: May 28, 2010 10:24PM
Posted by: Rams
That doesn't really explain how more front wing = understeer (and that's not how it works in dry conditions)

If the front wing is equal to the rear wing and you get a twitchy car, then having the front wing higher should give an even twitchier car?

And nobody answered regarding the diff..
Date: May 28, 2010 10:39PM
Posted by: jucksman
Sorry, I mixed it all up. I was actually talking about oversteer...shame on me!!
Increasing diff reduces tyre lockup at the expanse of handling...usually makes the car twitchier for me and I like a very neutral car - like Rubens Barrichello and Felipe Massa, I like to brake a little earlier, in a straight line and go for an early apex, so I can be on full throttle earlier - helps overtaking.
If the car is twitching too much, you lose a lot of time at corner exit.

You actually need more grip on the rear. In the wet, is better understeer than oversteer, because if you lose the back in the wet you'll end up in a spin. In the dry, it's sometimes a good thing to let the car lighter on the rear 'cause it can help finding the apex earlier in some corners.

Sepang is very tricky in the wet. You will need much more downforce to get better grip, specially in the double right handers and the quick esses - there's where your car will lose the rear.
Date: May 29, 2010 03:42PM
Posted by: Cyberacer
In slippery circuits I suggest using soft suspensions (e.g. front 900 - rear 700) but keeping hard anti-roll settings (e.g. front 3000 - rear 300).
It works well, at least at dry conditions.
To avoid oversteering => loosing the tail, I set deccel differential to 5 or 6 and deccel input power to 7, 8 or even 9, depending on the track.

Date: May 29, 2010 04:26PM
Nice tips, Cyberacer! Thanks!
Date: June 13, 2010 03:06PM
Still finding it really difficult against the AI, particuarly on changeable track conditions.

I gets tons of understeer in fast corners, some oversteer in slow corners on entry but understeer in the corners themselves.

The AI totally kick my butt in wet conditions :(
Date: June 13, 2010 03:10PM
Posted by: TheDarkListener
you need a higher rearwing in rain...
if you know that the track conditions will change you have to set the rearwing and the car higher...

BMW Sauber Ferrari
Ferrari F10
Virgin Racing
Ferrari F150
Marussia Virgin Racing
Date: June 13, 2010 03:13PM
I have done that, but that's what gives me terrible understeer in faster corners...
Date: July 05, 2010 06:35PM
Posted by: Wacky-Racer
I'm running the default season (2001) and lately I cannot find any speed at all.

At Hungary I took pole but would lose tons of speed at the corners, although I think it was because I lost my belief in running, even a little bit, on the kerbs.

At Spa, once I drove the correct line through Eau Rouge I was in good shape but the car wold not hit top speed through Blanchimont. I was routinely 1.5 seconds off the fastest lap.

Currently at Monza I have a car that I think is fast but I just cannot get anywhere near the pole time. I am always two seconds back.

I am not sure if I just cannot find the ideal line or if I have the wrong setup. I am also not losing the car in the corners, so balance is okay. Brake balance is more toward the front for all cars, except for Belgium if there is a chance of rain ( the I set it toward the back).

Here is a brief description of what I have at each track: (I use a wheel btw) [Oh, full races distances too. Not sure if that needs to be mentioned]

Hungary: same style as Monaco but with a slightly lower wing angle. Usually the gears are spaced by 5's until gear 6 & 7 where they are spaced by 6's. I usually do not change the suspension and differential settings. (3 stops)

Belgium: wings are 8 for back and 5 for front. Gears are spaced by 5's (for 1-4) and 6's ( for 6 & 7). The ride height is lower than the default but I forget the exact number. Diff & suspension unchanged. (2 stops).

Monza: I think the setup I am using is for rain (except for the wings and gears) because the car is awfully slow. Gears are by 4's (1-2), 5's (3-5) and 6's (6-7), which I think is not helping. Anti-roll is a 3000 - fr & 300 - rear. Springs are 900 - fr & 700 - rear. Diff is 7, 5 for both settings. (1 stop).

Any help is appreciated as I will lose the championship lead if I don't score at Monza! (or Belgium if I restart, which I may because the Monza setup is completely wrong).
Date: July 05, 2010 07:27PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Hungary try 20 front wing and 20 rear wing. Decrease the gear ratios.
I usually lap 1.12.5 -1m12.7 very comfortably using original game physics.

Monza Gear ratios: 25,32,39,45,51,57,63 1st gear, 2nd gear, etc
Here are the differential values 10/10,6/6 acceleration first 2 values.
Wings: 4 front 1 rear.
I usually lap in 1m20.1 - 1m20.7 with original game physics.

Belgium wings are ok. Ride height put 28.0 front and 56.5 rear. If their is a lot of plank wear loss
just increase the packers and that should fix it. Differential values put as like monza.
I usually lap 1m44.3 - 1m44.7. Also these are for original game physics.

These are race setup values. They do not work very well for a hotlap or qualify for single lap.

Bye (Y)
Date: July 05, 2010 10:12PM
I shall try that, thank you.

The wing angles for Monza were set at 1, 1. Even with that I was not lapping well during the race so I know something else was wrong.

Question for all: Do you normally run the default physics regardless of whether you are playing the default game or a mod? This assumes you are changing the wings and the gear ratios.
Date: July 05, 2010 10:33PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Wacky-Racer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question for all: Do you normally run the default
> physics regardless of whether you are playing the
> default game or a mod? This assumes you are
> changing the wings and the gear ratios.

Normally i play with original game physics but if i try other physics (2008, 2009 even
2010 physics) im 1.5 - 2 seconds faster a lap racing in the same tracks.

Its normal to change the wings and gear ratios depending on the tracks your using.
You have to determine witch tracks need low wings, medium wings and hi wings and after
that adjust the gear ratios to have full speed at the end of the the main straight of a track.
Date: July 06, 2010 10:25PM
Posted by: Zero Wolf
Hi everyone, great topic btw. I have a question for those using stering wheel, are you driving with traction control on or off. Im using whell and have drove my best dry lap in sepang without using any of driving aids and whth defult setup (original gp4 physics) 1.36.800 is this time any god or ?
Date: July 07, 2010 12:49AM
Posted by: ralv585
what was the pole lap time or the cc cars?

Date: July 09, 2010 01:27AM
I use traction control because I am not confident enough to run without it.
Date: July 09, 2010 01:35AM
How is your performance in monza now?
I usually set my car a little softer to be able to ride de curbs in monza. The more stable your car is over the curbs, the more time you can gain during a lap. Also, you should let your 7th gear a tad longer for the race, to help overtaking (i.e: higher top speed when in another car's draft).

I play using the physics from the season I'm in, so right now I'm racing the 2009 season with the respective physics. With the default physics, your car don't need to be so soft, but you better use higher downforce at the front to help you through the lesmo corners carrying more speed - you can ruin a lap completely by being too slow there more than any other part of the track.
Date: July 23, 2010 11:44PM
Could someone please download this setup file for Canada wet (2009 physics V2, 2007 track pack) and tell why it's so dreadful?

Obviously it would be good if you can test it in the wet

[yaal1g.blu.livefilestore.com]

I tried absolutely everything. High ride height, low ride height, made no difference at all. The car is fishtailing all over the place.
Date: July 24, 2010 02:06AM
You need to set a higher differential level to stop fishtailing..:-)
Date: July 24, 2010 11:35AM
You'll see the diff is already maxed out ;)
Date: July 24, 2010 04:09PM
Hmmm..have you tryed the montreal 2010 version? Maybe the grip levels in the 2007 version are not compatible with the physics you are using..You should also try a different physics set for 2009. Some versions are known to cause unrealistic oversteer.
Date: July 24, 2010 04:55PM
Posted by: rmfarey
Just can't get my set-up right for valencia using 2009 physics.

Anyone have a good setup for keyboard they'd like to share so i can give it a try?

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy