patch, gpsaves and grafics - confused

Posted by jp2 
patch, gpsaves and grafics - confused
Date: November 26, 2002 05:50AM
Posted by: jp2
ok... backupped gp4, de-installed it properly, cleaned the registry, installed new gp4, set up wheel and grafics, installed the patch.

everything fine: version 1.02, no more reflections when i turn them off, 2 fps more, po went down a bit.

now 2 problems:

- everytime i start gp4 it asks me to recalibrate the grafics. i say "yes", gp4 says "no error". not a real problem cuase it's still running fine.

- i cant load old setups. gp4 says "no error" or it loads the setup but without 7th gear. whats that ?

- i cant load old savegames, e.g. my championship. gp4 says "no error" all the time. i was able to load the very first save in melbourne, but only once.

i'd be glad for comments/advice.

greetings, jp
Re: patch, gpsaves and grafics - confused
Date: November 26, 2002 05:58AM
Posted by: Vader
simple answer:

gp4 1.00 files are not compatible with gp4 1.02 files. Everytime the patched version tries to load old files, it gives you a "no error" error.

You could have found this answer if you had send for searchbutton-man.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 26, 2002 05:59AM
ah, and delete the old gfx card file and the machine won't recalibrate each time.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 26, 2002 07:19AM
thanks for the friendly advice, vader. looking through the posts about the new patch didn't cure my confusion, au contraire: nobody is crying out loud "argh, all my setups are gone, i have to start it all over again", so i thought there must be a way the others deal with that and decided to start a new topic, not adding the 47th post to an existing one.

greeitngs, jp
Date: November 26, 2002 07:21AM
after installation of the patch i have to manually delete an old file ? didnt know that, will try it tonight.

greetings, jp
Date: November 26, 2002 07:36AM
Was machst du an der FU Berlin?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 26, 2002 08:03AM
im ukbf arbeiten, kein student mehr... (slightly off topic)

grüsse, jp
Date: November 26, 2002 08:15AM
Posted by: Ellis
with GP3 (and any other game) they convert the same game files to the neweer version

My opinion of this patch is getting lower and lower. Most patches u simply run the installer, with this one u dont

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: November 26, 2002 08:22AM
Ellis -
the change from Gp3 1.00 to Gp3 1.13 called for new controller files "*.con" as well. I was also unable to load my old savegames after upgrading to 1.13, so this is nothing new.

jp2 -

Chefarzt? Professor? (jp = Junior Proffessor?)
Sehnen wir uns nicht alle nach den unbeschwerten Unizeiten zurück?

(off topic? who cares?)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 26, 2002 08:31AM
Ellis -
the change from Gp3 1.00 to Gp3 1.13 called for new controller files "*.con" as well. I was also unable to load my old savegames after upgrading to 1.13, so this is nothing new.

maybe its just geoff then. When i patched all my other games the save files were updated with it.......hmm....more lazy programming from Geoff and co?

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: November 26, 2002 08:50AM
Yes, they did carry a lot of things all the way from F1GP to GP4 which are making them trouble now.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 26, 2002 08:54AM
u really think it would be that hard to convert the setups and saved files tho? It is simply lazyness. We have amazing ppl like Jon, Oleg and Sven, working almost non-stop, making editors for us that can edit almost everything in a game which they didnt design. Yet, Geoff and co dont seem to be able to covert the setups over from the orgional?

Thats quite pathetic

Date: November 26, 2002 10:30AM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
Exactly! Geoff and co could release some quality editors and stuff, and post them as someone anonymous. who's going to know it was from them? lazy bastads :-(
Date: November 26, 2002 01:23PM
Posted by: Morbid
Quit bashing the patch for doing what most other patches also do.

Games like Il-2 Sturmovik (100mb of pure patch pleasure!) and Quake III (over 30 patches!) are heralded as having some of the best support that this industry has to offer .

With each new patch, all savegames, replays and controller files were screwed up for Il-2. Even Q3 had replay files being screwed up by the patches. If anyone doubts this, take for instance a look at the 1.29h patch readme for Q3, or go to the Il-2 forums @ [www.il2sturmovik.com] and see for yourself.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: November 26, 2002 02:47PM
Posted by: jed
here's a thought. time constraints... Everybody is screaming for the patch and they wanted it yesterday... You can never satisfy everyone...
Date: November 26, 2002 02:49PM
Posted by: jed
so from this statement we assume you have seen the source code then?
Date: November 27, 2002 01:27AM
jp2 -

Chefarzt? Professor? (jp = Junior Proffessor?)
Sehnen wir uns nicht alle nach den unbeschwerten Unizeiten zurück?

(off topic? who cares?)

@vader:

nee, nix medizinisches. edv, Systemverwaltung.

klar sehnen wir uns alle nach den unizeiten zurück. gp1, gp2, schlafen bis nachmittags...

woher kennst du die fu ?

grüsse, jp
Date: November 27, 2002 02:42AM
Exactly! Geoff and co could release some quality editors and stuff, and post them as someone anonymous. who's going to know it was from them? lazy bastads :-(

im not bothered about them releaseing editors. I just cant see how all the other games i have patched update the saved files, and with Geoffs games u start back from scratch again.

here's a thought. time constraints... Everybody is screaming for the patch and they wanted it yesterday... You can never satisfy everyone...

your wrong

not everybody was screaming for the patch. I wanted one, but didnt care how long it took, provided it was done correctly. This patch seems to be good...but it also has its major disadvantages.

This is weird to install - most games u double click the setup exe, and thats it. This one you do some funky stuff with the files first, involving rebooting ur comp.

It seems to support LESS controllers than before, with people on all forums compaling of controller problems, missing pedals, FFB gone etc

And it doesnt update saved games. Im going back to the orgional install, no patrch, but lots of updated cars and stuff. Adn im staying like that until the editors work with the new patch, and the problems are sorted out

I never thot would say this, but Geoff & Co are just annoying me now. The programming is lazy. If ppl like Jon, Sven, Olg, Marc Arts, Rene "SDI" Smit can produce fantastic editors, without having any of the orgional code. And Geoff cant even convert the saved game files over, there is clearly something wrong here

im not bashing the patch itself, its Geoff or whoever was lazy enough to leave that out.

Date: November 27, 2002 02:43AM
i was gettin used to kool customer service by DMA (GTA3 ppl), Razorworks (TIR ppl - they actaully let you talk with the programmers, rather than talk to some PR person who doesnt know much)

Papy are nice ppl too. It just seems like Geoff, and especially Infogrames need to improve in thsi area

Date: November 27, 2002 07:00AM
Ich bab mich mal vor Jahren sowohl an der FU als auch an der TU um einen Studienplatz beworben, bin dann aber zunächst an der CAU in Kiel gelandet und schlie

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy