GP4 Patch New Problem

Posted by boog 
GP4 Patch New Problem
Date: November 24, 2002 07:59PM
Posted by: boog
I have a "out of the box" gp4 version. No modification whatsoever. Before the patch i didn't have too much problem except a few rare crashes to desktop in a middle of a race. I installed the patch, something went wrong with my saved car setups. Somes values are changed. For exemple, in montreal i had a set up with seven gear saved. When i load it, the seventh gear is not activated anymore. I activated manually but going in the game,i can't get that gear anrmore!!! I didn't check what else could be wrong. If it ain't broken why fix it...It was pretty ok before the patch...now it's worse...
Re: GP4 Patch New Problem
Date: November 24, 2002 08:57PM
Posted by: jed
It would assume that previously saved games/setups will not be compatible with the newer patched version. They probably should have added it to the readme.txt file, although judging by some of the issues some folks are having, it wouldn't have been picked up because very few people read it anyway...
Date: November 24, 2002 09:31PM
Posted by: Morbid
If it ain't broken why fix it...It was pretty ok before the patch...now it's worse...

What the...?!? Are you crazy!?! It was riddled with bugs like a swiss cheese is with holes, and now its very very much better!

I tried to recreate your problem. The only way I could do that, was by activating the 7th gear, and then reverting to the default setups, before I started the race. Then the 7th gear disappeared. But otherwise I was able to drive with it @ Montreal, both in free practice, and for 22 laps in a non-championship race. Its there, and you can have it if you want to.

Regarding the setups not loading properly. According to other reports setups, made in v1.0, load just fine in the v9.6 patched game with no changes whatsoever to any values. I dunno about v4.0 patched to v9.6. But that doesn't matter anyway, since the readme clearly states that V9.6 is not compatible with v4.0.

I take it that either you are doing something very wrong in game, or that you didn't apply the patch properly.

Check the credits list (workshop ---> credits). If it doesn't say v1.02, then you installed the patch the wrong way.

Be aware that copying the patch files, or extracting them to you GP4 folder isn't the right way to install the patch, and that this method DOES create problems! You have to extract the patch to a temporary folder, and then run SETUP.EXE from that folder.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: November 25, 2002 02:43AM
Posted by: Ellis
What the...?!? Are you crazy!?! It was riddled with bugs like a swiss cheese is with holes, and now its very very much better!

But morbid, this patch only works for some ppl. Me and Jons GP4s dont even start anymore...and its two different problems cos we both get to seperate stages

this patch sucks IMO. Whats the point in fixing bugs if u cant play the game anymore?

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: November 25, 2002 02:47AM
Posted by: Boomy
Ellis,

Even if I have not yet tried it you can :

1) uninstall completelly GP4

2) reboot the OS

3) reinstall graphic latest drivers

4) reinstall directx 8.1b

5) reboot

6) install a fresh copy of GP4

7) Reboot

8) install the patch

9) reboot

Let us know

Boomy
Date: November 25, 2002 02:59AM
Posted by: jp2
hm... i know that problem. 7th gear sometimes disappears and is very hard to get back. i always thought i was the only one with this special bug. (search the forum if you want).

but this has nothing to do with the patch, imo. willtry it out tonight.

greetings, jp
Date: November 25, 2002 07:54PM
Posted by: boog
I apologise about the setups. My fault. I'm sorry. Values are not changed. They do looked changed because, effectively i loaded a set-up that i kwow well, named Montreal7a (because of seventh gear), but the gear 7 did not appear in the config panel and was not accessible anymore even manually. That happened after the patch. I've never experience this before the patch. That all i can say.
Date: November 26, 2002 03:28AM
yes, old setup files dont work anymore after the patch.

has anyone found a workaround ? somehow i dont feel like starting all this setup work again from scratch.

greetings, jp
Date: November 27, 2002 12:03AM
Posted by: pasi
I have´nt had whose crashing probs... the patch helped but I too noticed that some setups had gone wrong. For example, I had a setup for Indianapolis. Car was great, fast, good handling and everything. Next day I loaded it and drove, it only went 280km/h, when usually it goes 328km/h!
I started wondering, I went to the car setup and checked everything and it was ok. Again drove and same prob!

Pasi
----------------
nothing much inside his head...
Date: November 27, 2002 12:33AM
Posted by: Morbid
yes, old setup files dont work anymore after the patch.

has anyone found a workaround ? somehow i dont feel like starting all this setup work again from scratch.

WRONG! Setup files from v1.00 DO work with the v9.6 patched game, with 7th gear and all. I have tested this with Major Toms Basics.

However, setup files made with the patched v4.0 (the withdrawn patch) probably won't work in v9.6, since the v4.0 patch is incompatible with v9.6. But this has yet to be tested.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: November 27, 2002 01:06AM
Hi Morbid, sorry but...

WRONG! Setup files from v1.00 DO NOT work with the v9.6 patched game, sometimes with NO 7th gear and sometimes with a message "no error". I have tested this with my own setups.

hm, this needs further investigation. Maybe a difference between free practice and qualifying ? i'll see if i can check this tonight.

greetings, jp

ps: i never used the withdrawn "patch", didnt even download it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy