Editing the alpha channel-how!!!

Posted by Go Alesi 
Editing the alpha channel-how!!!
Date: November 07, 2002 02:08PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
I am trying to make the engine smoke/tire smoke/spray/gravel smoke etc thicker by editing the onesmoke.tga file. I've been told to make the alpha channel darker/thicker to do this. I load it in Paint Shop Pro 7.0, but I don't know what to do then!!!

Please help

Thanks

Re: Editing the alpha channel-how!!!
Date: November 07, 2002 02:10PM
Posted by: Spike02
that's a good question........

Date: November 08, 2002 07:36AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Lol, sorry Alesi i just forgot you :)
I will make it today and will post it to you soon :)

Date: November 08, 2002 09:15AM
Posted by: pvisscher
Well as you mentioned make it darker, open your .tga file and select the alpha channel, Then select the entire alpha channel or whatever area on it that you want darker and fill it with black or gray. Then save the .tga file, thats all there is too it really. I use Photoshop 5.5, 6.0, 7.0 by the way.
Date: November 08, 2002 09:41AM
Posted by: Larry
Doesn't a darker alpha channel make it more transparent?

Date: November 08, 2002 09:54AM
No it does not, make your Alpha channel darker and see what happens with your car, the alpha channel is for the shining off the car so if you would like a certain part of the car to be less shiny you just make that part in the alpha channel somewhat darker. No alpha channel at all gives no reflections and shinning on the car.
Date: November 08, 2002 09:58AM
Thanks Lo2K!

The alpha channel in the smoke file has nothing to do with shiny cars though people!!! :D

If you make it all balck or grey, the gravel and spray and flames will also be that colour!!!!!!!!!

It's a Paintshop pro problem I think

Thanks

Date: November 08, 2002 11:33AM
Here is the file :)

[realgpx.free.fr]

And i agree with Go Alesi, car textures and track texture don't handle alpha channel the same manner.
Car textures, as you said Peter use alpha channel as a reflection map (more white = more reflexions on the car).
But track textures use alpha channel for transparency (more white = more opaque).

But i have a question for you Peter, can you see the alpha channel in the channel window i photoshop 7 ? I have some troubles with it as alpha channel seems to be applied to rvb layers (wich are transparent) and is not displayed as a fourth channel like in photoshop 6. Do you have the same thing ?

About installation, Alesi, you need to replace the same texture than those i give you in each track\maps\resource folder of each track you want to patch. Yep, they hadn't done one file for all tracks : /

Date: November 08, 2002 01:37PM
Posted by: Larry
I've only worked with the track textures so far. That explains my previous post.

Date: November 09, 2002 03:46AM
thanks Lo2K

Date: November 09, 2002 10:28AM
Dont know about alpha layer in photoshop7 because i\m still doing all my work in 5.5 and 6. Only have it installed and had a quick look. If i come accross this "item" i will let you know.
Date: November 09, 2002 02:59PM
ok, thanks, i would be pretty interesting to know what it happens for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy