"TFT" Monitors, How good are they for GP3/4?

Posted by Tony 
Re: "TFT" Monitors, How good are they for GP3/4?
Date: January 11, 2003 02:47PM
Posted by: Tony
Well, an oldish thread here to drag up I spose.

Anyroad. I tried (for the first time) a TFT over Christmas, it was one my two Nieces had on the big day:) The Monitor was a 15" TFT NEC. I haven't got GP4 yet, so i thought I would try there system and screen with my GP3. Loaded in ok. Anyroad, Since the Pentium 2 400 that I still have, was the fastest that I tried before this one, then I suppose anything over 3 years old was going to be better. However......

The Game loaded in Fine (GP3 Remember), But when the game came on the screen (Luxembourg track), It was the end of the matter: TFT Screens do NOT run this game even anywhere near good. It was Terrible, especially in Cockpit mode, in which the steering wheel/Cockpit was discoloured (Probably due to refresh rate or something I don't know, but it looked bad, and that was good enough...or shall I say bad. Out of cockpit (external view) it was much better, and the mode that my 12, and 13 year old Nieces like to run car games in anyway (arcaders??).

So, as for TFT screens matching up to conventional monitors, it was, for grand Prix,at least totally unacceptable. Just Like a Laptop I had actually. As for the "Performance" of the game, it was flawless. I set GP3 up at optimum levels (full "everything" actually, including "-7" on the better graphics setting. I was expecting, (even on this P4 2.4 GIG system W/533 bus) and Radeon 9000 GFX etc, for it to run around 70/80 P/O During a race. It was 50-60 or so at the start, and on some bends went to as low as "27" P/O it NEVER went over 70 PO. So then, apart from the Screen, GP3 run a dream.

HOW would GP4 run on a system like this? and will the latest patches etc ensure a good race /P/O etc? 35-40 FPS would be good I suppose (W/all details on - more or less) but I keep hearing much lower FPS on high end systems. Since "GP4" is GP3... only better at most things, is it wrong to assume it should
Tony, if you're looking for a very 'top of the range' PC, try Eversham.

They seem to only stock v. good PCs, but if you're prepared to spend £1200+ on a system, that's the best place I've found so far by a long way. They offer good service too. They also come with 3 year guarntees.

The problem with Sony, HP and Compaq PCs etc is that they often only let you use their parts for upgrade. So say you wanted to boost you ram or you CPU, you'd have to buy their VERY expensive parts!

This Evesham place however use 'normal' bits, so it's easy to upgrade should you need to.

I know it's a bit OT in an OT thread, but, just a thought!

Re: "TFT" Monitors, How good are they for GP3/4?
Date: January 12, 2003 12:58PM
Posted by: Glyn
I read an article in PC Gamer about TFT screens, and they said if you get very high definition ones they are nearly as good, and only very fast action games will ghost. The only annoying problem remaind though: dead pixels. Each screen is allowed 5 dead pixels before you can send it back because of them. They can be either on, or off, and if they are all together in the middle of the screen, your buggered!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy