My last action before surrending to IG weenies

Posted by Boomy 
My last action before surrending to IG weenies
Date: October 22, 2002 01:50AM
Posted by: Boomy
Hi All,

This is my last action against IG weenies,I have lost hopes in this unbalanced war.

I avoid every kind of comment about IG and its GP4 support,I can be surelly sued if I say what I think about that,without censure.

So whomever want to give it a try can do as follows:

1) Open your favorite mail browser

2) Subject: WE WANT A REAL GP4 PATCH

3) Attachment: Morbid bug list in txt or doc format

4) This is the list to address your mails,feel free to add any IG address you have besides belowmentioned

MBradshaw@uk.infogrames.com
unsolicitedsubmissions@us.infogrames.com
nbushkin@us.infogrames.com
IR@us.infogrames.com
PR@us.infogrames.com
cgesler@fr.infogrames.com
csornay@fr.infogrames.com
jbarbe@fr.infogrames.com
pr@de.infogrames.com
helpline@uk.infogrames.com
scallaghan@uk.infogrames.com
lkirton@uk.infogrames.com
akalka@il.infogrames.com
marketing@ozisoft.com
sslee@au.infogrames.com
ekim@kr.infogrames.com
wwang@tw.infogrames.com

Of course this is not mailbombing,but only a mailing list to address complaining mail about the dastard mood IG acted versus GP4 fans.

Cheers

Boomy

P.S. For a while I'll will go on to watch at this good forum even if I'll avoid to post. ( someone could be happy :) , but you can also send complaining mails to IG )
Re: My last action before surrending to IG weenies
Date: October 22, 2002 05:09AM
Posted by: tux
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

but wwwwwwwwwwwwHHHHHHHHHyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy????

you have to keep going :P

Date: October 22, 2002 09:58AM
Posted by: Morbid
Well, I can understand if you want to call it quits now. As I said long ago, projects like these have a tendency to devour all of your waking hours, and be a rotten and thankless job to boot.

While some may not have appreciated your work, I for one can say, that I look back on what I would call one hell of a job. And I have followed the reactions to your efforts on several forums. Sometimes with very mixed emotions, but as time went on, mostly with appreciation and a certain sense of awe over your tireless determination, regardless of some of the @!#$ you sometimes had to put up with.

I through in the towel in late August after the first and utterly ludicrous patch was released. But I had already put myself in "wait and see" mode after the confirmed delivery of the buglist in late June/early July, partly because I thought that IG could see the reason (Oh, silly me!) in a proper patch given the work in the buglist, and also because any serious pressure that could be applied towards Infogrames would be several times more legitimate, if it was not instigated by me. That was the prime reason for releasing the complete and official version of the buglist, when you requested it, despite prior convictions not to do so.

I see your efforts as a natural continuation (even though you had to establish this position by yourself) of the buglist project, and you as the prime Centurion in ensuring the fruition of its objectives. I know that you referred to me as "leader Maximo", but for as long as I can remember that you have called me this, I can only see you as being that person yourself. Granted, the role that I played, together with the test team, layed the foundation for what was to come, but we all stand on the shoulders of those that come before us. Also granted, my role had a certain grace to it, that yours has not had (and I might add- never could have). I can only see that as being natural, since your part was to incite, agitate and plea for continued pressure to levied at IG. Playing the boogieman, angry dissident, dedicated revolutionary and at times raving lunatic is never at "charismatic" role in the traditional sense of the word, although it does take a certain kind of charisma to get it going.

For instance the notion of presenting a class action lawsiut against IG, for pushing a product that in no way represented the proposed deal with the consumer, was a insane stunt to say the least. But apart from not believing that it could be established, I thought it was nothing less than a brilliant idea, and if it had gained more popular support, I would have gladly jumped in as well. If anyone from IG saw that (and by then you must have been a very well-known figure in their midst) they must have thought "My god, we are never gonna get rid of this maniac!" Of course, it was implied, unless they did some heavy duty fixing of the game and sucking up to the community. Also moves like this opens up for the fact that people can form an opinion on such a course of action. The community cannot say yes or no, to such a proposal if it is not suggested. Furthermore moves like this opened up for the darkest of sense humour to be broadly accepted and embraced, when it comes to critizing the game - which in essence created a culture of "we like the game but we can slag it (and IG) off for producing such a mess".

That creates bad publicity for IG, and that in turn harms sales. Which is probably one of the only things that could motivate them to something serious about the condition of the game. It is a common accepted opinion now that IG cannot release a GP5, if they don't do something about GP4. Not that I am saying that you created this sentiment on your own, but some pave the way for others, even if the others don't know or acknowledge this.

Also I might point to the fact that you have been the only person that I know of that has gotten IG squeezed into such a tight spot that they lowered themselves to publically recognize, mention and comment on the buglist project and the work that we did. That in it self is no small acheivement. That was important, because they could never again return to the stance of "blissful ignorance", as they indeed did try to do with the second official FAQ.

I am confident that you have played a major role both directly and indirectly in the decision to withdraw the first patch, and to produce a new one as well as the upcoming interview with Geoff Crammond. Of course you are not alone in this, but you have been as you like to say, leader Maximo, and have continued almost to the final stage of what the buglist project aims to do. Only one thing remains, and that is to evalute the results we have achieved, and that can only come in the form of our satisfaction with the upcoming patch and interview, assessing if we have won, lost or if it is a draw, and that also means deciding on whether or not we want to continue after the release of the patch, and of course to see how the next installment in the GPx series is handled.

As to your decision to withdraw your presence on the forum (or to become a lurker), I can only object. Early on in the buglist project, I coined you as a "loose cannon" in private conversations. And in a sense I still think that you are. But that doesn't matter. I cannot see how a person that is not a loose cannon could have done what you did. Besides, it is a trademark of this forum that we like and appreciate people that are a bit wacky. I might quote the same private conversations where I have heard (if that can be said about text on a monitor) more than once: "Boomy? I love this guy!": It will take some time to figure out who is the "Boomy - I want my goddamn patch!" and who is the "Boomy, hey I am just me". But I think you have earned the right to expect that people can and will make this distinction, and get to know the other guy.

The raving lunatic, that people have voiced reservation against, is more an integral part of the role you have played in the quest to provide the public expression of the wishes of the community, and rally popular support. By neccesity that has to present an aggressive component. If you are serious when you say that you are throwing the towel into the ring, that would make the aggressive part obsolete, and you would just be wacky in the same way that everyone else here is. And lets be frank here: Anyone that really wants to be sane, has to be crazy...

Personally, I would like to extend my appreciation, for what I think is a job that has superbly executed, and an great favour to all of us that love and play the Grand Prix series. Looking back, I can't find anyone else that could have done it. If we get a patch like we would like to have it, I am more than certain that you have played just a large role in it as I have, if not a lot more. Thanks dude and well wishes from me in Denmark.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: October 22, 2002 10:02AM
Posted by: genesis
Awww. Personally I just think Boomy is an obsessive saddo ;-D

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: October 22, 2002 11:26AM
Posted by: Orpheus
Well, I can understand if you want to call it quits now. As I said long ago, projects like these have a tendency to devour all of your waking hours, and be a rotten and thankless job to boot.

While some may not have appreciated your work, I for one can say, that I look back on what I would call one hell of a job. And I have followed the reactions to your efforts on several forums. Sometimes with very mixed emotions, but as time went on, mostly with appreciation and a certain sense of awe over your tireless determination, regardless of some of the @!#$ you sometimes had to put up with.

I through in the towel in late August after the first and utterly ludicrous patch was released. But I had already put myself in "wait and see" mode after the confirmed delivery of the buglist in late June/early July, partly because I thought that IG could see the reason (Oh, silly me!) in a proper patch given the work in the buglist, and also because any serious pressure that could be applied towards Infogrames would be several times more legitimate, if it was not instigated by me. That was the prime reason for releasing the complete and official version of the buglist, when you requested it, despite prior convictions not to do so.

I see your efforts as a natural continuation (even though you had to establish this position by yourself) of the buglist project, and you as the prime Centurion in ensuring the fruition of its objectives. I know that you referred to me as "leader Maximo", but for as long as I can remember that you have called me this, I can only see you as being that person yourself. Granted, the role that I played, together with the test team, layed the foundation for what was to come, but we all stand on the shoulders of those that come before us. Also granted, my role had a certain grace to it, that yours has not had (and I might add- never could have). I can only see that as being natural, since your part was to incite, agitate and plea for continued pressure to levied at IG. Playing the boogieman, angry dissident, dedicated revolutionary and at times raving lunatic is never at "charismatic" role in the traditional sense of the word, although it does take a certain kind of charisma to get it going.

For instance the notion of presenting a class action lawsiut against IG, for pushing a product that in no way represented the proposed deal with the consumer, was a insane stunt to say the least. But apart from not believing that it could be established, I thought it was nothing less than a brilliant idea, and if it had gained more popular support, I would have gladly jumped in as well. If anyone from IG saw that (and by then you must have been a very well-known figure in their midst) they must have thought "My god, we are never gonna get rid of this maniac!" Of course, it was implied, unless they did some heavy duty fixing of the game and sucking up to the community. Also moves like this opens up for the fact that people can form an opinion on such a course of action. The community cannot say yes or no, to such a proposal if it is not suggested. Furthermore moves like this opened up for the darkest of sense humour to be broadly accepted and embraced, when it comes to critizing the game - which in essence created a culture of "we like the game but we can slag it (and IG) off for producing such a mess".

That creates bad publicity for IG, and that in turn harms sales. Which is probably one of the only things that could motivate them to something serious about the condition of the game. It is a common accepted opinion now that IG cannot release a GP5, if they don't do something about GP4. Not that I am saying that you created this sentiment on your own, but some pave the way for others, even if the others don't know or acknowledge this.

Also I might point to the fact that you have been the only person that I know of that has gotten IG squeezed into such a tight spot that they lowered themselves to publically recognize, mention and comment on the buglist project and the work that we did. That in it self is no small acheivement. That was important, because they could never again return to the stance of "blissful ignorance", as they indeed did try to do with the second official FAQ.

I am confident that you have played a major role both directly and indirectly in the decision to withdraw the first patch, and to produce a new one as well as the upcoming interview with Geoff Crammond. Of course you are not alone in this, but you have been as you like to say, leader Maximo, and have continued almost to the final stage of what the buglist project aims to do. Only one thing remains, and that is to evalute the results we have achieved, and that can only come in the form of our satisfaction with the upcoming patch and interview, assessing if we have won, lost or if it is a draw, and that also means deciding on whether or not we want to continue after the release of the patch, and of course to see how the next installment in the GPx series is handled.

As to your decision to withdraw your presence on the forum (or to become a lurker), I can only object. Early on in the buglist project, I coined you as a "loose cannon" in private conversations. And in a sense I still think that you are. But that doesn't matter. I cannot see how a person that is not a loose cannon could have done what you did. Besides, it is a trademark of this forum that we like and appreciate people that are a bit wacky. I might quote the same private conversations where I have heard (if that can be said about text on a monitor) more than once: "Boomy? I love this guy!": It will take some time to figure out who is the "Boomy - I want my goddamn patch!" and who is the "Boomy, hey I am just me". But I think you have earned the right to expect that people can and will make this distinction, and get to know the other guy.

The raving lunatic, that people have voiced reservation against, is more an integral part of the role you have played in the quest to provide the public expression of the wishes of the community, and rally popular support. By neccesity that has to present an aggressive component. If you are serious when you say that you are throwing the towel into the ring, that would make the aggressive part obsolete, and you would just be wacky in the same way that everyone else here is. And lets be frank here: Anyone that really wants to be sane, has to be crazy...

Personally, I would like to extend my appreciation, for what I think is a job that has superbly executed, and an great favour to all of us that love and play the Grand Prix series. Looking back, I can't find anyone else that could have done it. If we get a patch like we would like to have it, I am more than certain that you have played just a large role in it as I have, if not a lot more. Thanks dude and well wishes from me in Denmark.

*sniff* *loud clapping*

i just had to paste the whole speech. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: October 22, 2002 12:20PM
Posted by: Glyn

*sniff* *loud clapping*

i just had to paste the whole speech. :)

LOL

So did I actually :)

Date: October 22, 2002 02:34PM
P.S. Please excuse the spam... just some things in life have to be done :)

Date: October 22, 2002 08:02PM
Posted by: dave
Happy now, you have heard directly from your leader!

Date: October 23, 2002 05:58AM
Hi Morbid,

I have to confess I felt and I
Date: October 23, 2002 08:03AM
I am glad that your read my post in the right sense. And as you can see from those that posted after me, this forum is crawling with weirdos. And we love em all. Well almost all of them.

We have been at this for almost 5 months now. I know because I still have the emails you sent me back in late May. And counting from when we originally laid the plan to put pressure on the development team and IG (mid/late March and early April), back when we were only concerned with the lack of certain features, we have been at it for 8 months or so. Maybe more, depending on when you begin to count. That is a hell of long time to fight, and attrition does take its toll. Both with the people that speak, and for those that listen. Concern about boring the forum-users is a valid thought. And how long we intend to go on with this, is also a good question to ask. My idea is clear. We get the patch and the interview, and we take it from there. Maybe we call it quits, maybe we try some more stuff (more about that later). I dunno yet (and I guess nobody else does either). Let me see the patch and interview first.

Now about that patch. IG has promised it. And they still have the apology and the promise posted on the official site. So I can't see that they will be running from their promise. Even Geoff has confirmed that we WILL get it.

Yeah they killed off Microprose. While it certainly isn't good news, I dunno if thats entirely bad news either. Sure they know how the code works, and how to find what and where. But on the other hand, Microprose has been sucked dry from new talent and skilled progammers for years. anyone care to take a look at their attempt at making at counterstrike clone (Tactical Ops)?

They have used the Unreal tournament engine, and they have not changed much. The game is very poor from a design point of view, and they have not even been able to maintain the strongs side from the engine they used. The quality of the bots are not even close to the bots in Unreal Tournament. Heck, I can better bots for FREE for counterstrike. And the programming is so poor, that they even introduced new bugs into the engine. Now if Microprose can't even do a proper clone job of an existing game, using other peoples work (UT engine) to have most of the game made, and produce AI that is worse than what 15 year old kids do for CS, then I seriusly doubt they ever where properly prepared and organized to do the graphics, menu and sound system for GP4.

Clearly, IG thought, "well a subdivision that produces such shoddy work just can't be a part of our game production system. When can't have any more screw ups on this level. They have got to go." The decision is right and fair. But what this doesn't tell is that the same execs that dismantled Microprose, are the same people that have mismanaged and systematically starve one of the brightest stars in the industry, since it was bought up by Hasbro. Hasbro sold it, with the rest of the electronic entertainment section (and that means the execs too) to Infogrames), that just continued in the same line. The people that GAVE the task of handling the code for GP4 to Microprose, had already made sure that they never would have been able to do the job, no matter how you cut the cake. Dismantling Microprose isn't enough. IG management need to take a close look at how the manage their own human ressources. And personally I will give the pink slip to those that were in charge of the management of Microprose too. If you got a police dog that's systematically starved to the point that it can't do its job, or even take care of it self, then you don't just put down the wretched creature. You make damn sure that you get rid of the dude that trained and fed it too.

So, back to the point - maybe setting someone else to do the job of making the patch is the right choice after all. Granted, they are working with a disadvantage. But Microprose probably didn't have the skill anymore to do it.

As to Geoff having finished his contribution in August, that isn't so strange. He did the AI and the physics. While it wasn't entirely free of bugs, it was the section of the code that was in the best condition. I can't see we he should be dogged into fixing other peoples mistakes. Especially since he still programs in Turbo-pascal. That might sound strange, but it actually makes sense. The code he writes has to be able to crunch a lot of big numbers fast. And that is exactly what Turbo-pascal can do. But if you want to make gfx engines or 3d sound systems - forget it. He can fix the parts of the code he made. And I am pretty sure that he has told IG in pretty big words... "FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM!" After all, it is his name an reputation thats on the line.

What it really boils down to is: Who have they given the task of making the patch (that is - how skilled are they). How many ressources have they invested into this task (money, manpower, equipment, test-programs. Yes our list was good, but by no means an exhaustive breakdown of the technical problems with the code). When did they start? I mean if they started early september, when the patch was withdrawn, then forget it. There is no way they can fix the game in 2 months. If they started in June (they recieved the buglist in mid June), then okay, then we can get a really good patch here.

I personally think they want to do a good job, but I don't know if they have. But anyway, what would be the point of hiring that expensive PR-company to fix their image, if they are gonna blow it all 2 weeks later with another ridiculous half-assed attempt at a patch?? Maybe its stupid, but I am still moderately optimistic.

Anyway, you are right, when you point out that there are still lots of things that are worth fighting for. A campaign to get a direct link of communication between Geoff/development team and the community is certainly worth fighting for. I read Geoff's reservations about it, saying that people imitate him and post things he would never say. Such problems can be handled. Most forums would be able to give his ID a unique tag, that others simply can't get. Like the moderator tag at alphaf1, or like the apolyton and firaxis tags at apolyton. Clearly, Geoffs excuse is no excuse. But that won't change unless someone tries to do so.

Also getting the game unlocked for editing and modding is a worthy cause. It kinda needs the communication link (mention above) to be established first, but it needs to be done.

Also, a features workgroup is also a worthy campaign. We all wanted penalties, formation laps, safety cars and so on and so forth since GP2. Now, after 3 new editions of the game, it is quite clear, that the only way we can make sure that we get them, is if we make sure ourselves that the development team get the job right. Constant pressure. And that takes time to do. And it will have to be done again and again, until the development team get the picture and do the job right.

Of course, I don't think that neither you or me should get this going. We, together with a lot of other people, have already done quite a lot. If the patch is a success, maybe, just maybe, someone will say "Hey! It CAN be done!", and pick up the ball where we left it. I dunno if it will happen. But I sure hope that it does :D

Date: October 23, 2002 08:56AM
Usless to say I am always impressed about your way to see clearly both the big picture and smallest details together in an complicated scenario like what we have to manage with. Really impressive !

Well,you focused the right point. If we were here now talking about an aborted GP4 support? No,we have a not big but quite concrete hope that they do not abort patch project,so after months of actions,now we can take a breath waiting for the interview and above all for the patch and then see what will change.

After all,who can know the future? Maybe a day in late spring of 2003 we will have a meeting-dinner with Geoff and IG patcher,and there I'll take the chance to open a Don Perignon '54 to celebrate the second GP4 patch that will give this game the award of " Best game ever seen in the last 30 years ".

I still believe it's possible,said someone in the past before landing to moon.......................that BTW it's made of ....you know.

Boomy
Date: October 23, 2002 09:24AM
Yeah... Cheese, LoL.

Date: October 24, 2002 03:41AM
Nah... I guess it went something like this:

G = Guys on the moon
N = NASA

--- land on moon ---

G: Huston, we have a problem!
N: Go ahead
G: The moon is made of cheese!
N: Wendsleydale?

Date: March 17, 2003 09:55AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Got the patch then didnt we :)

Date: March 17, 2003 10:51AM
Posted by: tux
define patch :P

my definition...

"a patch is a peice of software that fixes old problems and adds new ones" *Cough* :P

Date: March 17, 2003 07:51PM
Posted by: captainvik
Does Boomy & Morbid then now think the patch was good/ok/crap etc. ?

excuse my ignorance but I left the Gp4 scene back in August and only just come back to it now and catching up still.
Date: March 18, 2003 06:10PM
Well, on one hand, neither Boomy nor me did get our personal hate issues fixed with the last patch. I wanted the telemetry properly fixed (it has been improved but is no way near the quality in GP3) and Boomy wanted full functionality in the multiplay game, a thing that we have since found out, is a hard policy of the FIA, that it should never appear in a F1 game. Appearantly, the FIA don't take any kind of competition, be it in the real world with the rumours of a rival championhsip, or in the virtual world in the form of online leagues in a F1 licensed game.

Measured against proper game and customer support of a wellknown and ground-breaking brand, the 9.6 patch is a disaster. IG never really liked game concepts and designs, that do not originate from their own creche, so to speak. If you wazzle over to <www.apolyton.net/moo3>, you can see a clearcut, and astonishingly honest description of how IG go about games from the companies that they bought (and still by) up. I don't think that IG ever fostered enough attention and resources to nuture the GPx brand into the quality levels of the Microprose independant days and the later ownership of Hasbro. I don't think they wanted to, or maybe they just did not understand what they had in their hands.

Since the the patch was produced by people that did not (or at least the majority didn't) work on the game and IG shutdown Microprose, and the GPx crew is disbanded, I think that we where quite lucky to get the 9.6 patch at all and the quality of the fixes are also something of miracle. It is a real challenge to work with other peoples code, especially when you are workling in a tight timeframe, and they are not around to answer any questions you might have. The patch fixes a lot of things that are not mentioned in the readme, however, some fixes mentioned in the readme do not work properly (or add new issues).

I think that we got a great deal with the patch. Getting a company to invest money and time to hire a new crew to fix bugs left in a game from a part of the corporate structure they want to disband and forget ever existed, is no small feat. The game is playable and fun, even though it has some "negative personality". Even now, leagues are up and running, and drivers and teams are duking it out. Furthermore, a lot of the people that work on editors these days probably wouldn't have bothered if wasn't for the 9.6 patch, because a lot of the people that use them had probably left the community. The community lives on now and that is great. It is damn shame however, that GP4 will never reach the quality that GP2 and GP3 have. That is something that will still be a challenge to accept when you fire up the casual game or two. And given the bad things that is still in the code, it remains to be seen if the community can stick together long enough for someone to say: "Hey, there is still a big market here. Lets get Geoff and do a GP5". Or maybe someone else will want to make a great F1 game that carries on where GPx left off. Time will tell. And if I have to be frank, one of these would be the ultimate result.

So, IMHO patch 9.6 is a great victory in some ways, good in others and really bad in some. It all depends from your point of view and the context.

Date: March 19, 2003 05:14AM
Posted by: Fieroboy
Well said Morbid... you also aluded to the fact that Bernie (FIA) has problem with online multi-play. That's a real shame as I've been playing the Papyrus Nascar series online now for years now and everytime a new GPX release come out I'm allways dissapointed to find no internet multi-play.Playing the ai is all good but to generic for me no matter how intelligent it might be, playing against human opponents who have the same problem getting tru a particular part of a circuit kinda makes you feel human.
Date: March 19, 2003 05:29AM
Posted by: Ellis
You were never gona get full mulit=play in a patch anyway. Over a network GP4 is terrible, and ovet the net it would be worse. The game would need recoded for that and thats somethign that was never going to happen.

for telemetry, is there any add-on programs that do it? like GPxPatch addons?

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 19, 2003 08:50AM
SDI has created a telemetry viewer that fixes some of the horrible layout problems (like gear change traces being miles, yes you have to scroll several screens, above the wheelspin traces) and add a lot of functionalities to viewing telemetry that where never present in GPx. However the ride height and available suspension travel traces retain the bugs from the GP4 code (at least last time I checked). This is a major problem since assigning the lowest possible ride height (maximizing drag free undercar downforce) and the right amount of packers (so you are not experiencing the stiffest possible suspension while cornering, particulary important in the wet) can only be done by qualified guesswork based on handling of the car and other observations while test driving.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy