GP# and TVout

Posted by mortal 
Re: GP# and TVout
Date: September 27, 2002 07:23AM
Posted by: Boomy
Will of these posts: Determine wich is the maximum resolution that a TV can run GP4.

I don't have yet understand that.

I see we have particular feeling ( Ellis,qwerty,mortalwombat ) --ironic--

Boomey
Date: September 27, 2002 07:26AM
Posted by: Ellis
"I see we have particular feeling ( Ellis,qwerty,mortalwombat ) --ironic--"

We have a "feeling" bout u cos u turn up, claim to be able to sue GPx team, go on bout bugs which we reported MONTHS ago, and then start talking out your arse!!! DO YOU BLAME US!!!???

you give a new meaning to the word SPAM!!!

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: September 27, 2002 07:35AM
It's easy to incur into misanderstandings when there are no mother-tongues.

I saw you are quite aggressive,and I like this feature in a driver,but what is the maximum resolution of GP4 running on TV? Just to avoid to go off-topic..

Boomey
Date: September 27, 2002 08:40AM
Posted by: Vader
What is the maximum force input of a GP car running over a TV set?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: September 27, 2002 09:22AM
4.5 negative

Boomey
Date: September 27, 2002 07:11PM
Posted by: Zcott
Fourty-two.
Date: September 27, 2002 08:53PM
Posted by: mortal
I never expected such a lively discussion ;-). My TVout resolution is 800 x 600, at least that is what the TVtool software is telling me, but the ingame graphics menus for gp3 and f1_2002 and gpl show a resolution of 1280 x 768 32bit, gp4 is showing as 640 x 480 x 16bit. I can select 768 x 576 and 640 x 480 with the TV software but I'm using the max 800 x 600 available. What I'm interested to find out is if you have an ingame fps of say 37+ for gp4 and the TV is limited to 25 would it be fair to say it will run pretty smoothly on the TV, Fraps is giving me a return of only 20 fps with my GP4 so it's lower but still looks good. The aspect ratio is not the same as a desktop monitor but that maybe just my big telly stretching the screen to fit and it does have the rather annoying habit of re-arranging the desktop icons for some strange reason but it sure looks good, even a 3dfish screensaver looks good ;-/ I want to use the TV instead of a monitor as I'm building a realistic cockpit that I will park in front of the TV instead of trying to drive from a seated possie at a desk. Anyway it seems not many users bother with TVout by the looks of it ;-) Give it a go, MOHAA looks great and Red Faction comes up alright too. btw Vader I heard that Bridgestone will likely sue if you run over a telly with their tyres fitted ;-)
Date: September 27, 2002 09:45PM
Posted by: Lilletto
What I'm interested to find out is if you have an ingame fps of say 37+ for gp4 and the TV is limited to 25 would it be fair to say it will run pretty smoothly on the TV, Fraps is giving me a return of only 20 fps with my GP4 so it's lower but still looks good.

Mortal I was misleading, now I understand. Those are two different phenomena. 25/50 interlaced is how many times per second the electronic beam can travel across the screen to refresh the image. It's just the same that happens for a monitor. The higher the count the more stable is image and less tiring to watch.
FPS of a game is different matter: if you run GP4 at 37 FPS it is just like you were watching a burst of slides. Each second 37 different ones are displayed. Of course, since reality comes in a continuos stream instead, the more the FPS the closer is you illusion of reality, but this is another matter.
So if you are watching GP4 running at 37 FPS on a PAL TV you are just watching 37 still pictures each second, while the image on your TV screen is completely refreshed 25 times in a second (25 each half of the screen hence 50 interlaced) regardless of what appears on the screen.
More FPS = smoother sensation of motion, greater sensation of speed and more lifelike experience.
Higher the refresh rate of screens (monitors or TV it doesnt matter) = more stable image and less fatigue for your sight regarless of what's happening on the screen.

Date: September 28, 2002 02:53AM
since reality comes in a continuos stream instead

This very sentnence you are dropping here so nonchalant offers enough material form a more than lifelong dispute between scientist and academics of all sort.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: September 28, 2002 03:31AM
Of course we can argue that reality is just an emission by Vader. In that case I guess it depends just on his mood.

Date: September 28, 2002 03:58AM
Posted by: mortal
had a good laugh over that one ;-) I think I have it sussed out now. Any tips on how to get more fps and a better refresh rate out of my current reality, maybe I need to install the latest drivers.....
Date: September 28, 2002 04:01AM
Now it gets even more difficult. The real important question here is "what is reality?". We are not going into an ontological discussion right now, since we would have to go through the whole lot of philosophy (probably staring with Parmenides from Elea). We will just regard reality as a phenomenological issue. Now it depends on how fast your visual apparatus can cope with data flooding in and how fast your thinking devices can get it into what you call "reality". Since brains and eyes do need time to get their work done, and it might be that they are computing picture for picture, eality might not be a continious stream of data, but rather a very, very fast slideshow and movement just an illusion.

Of course we can argue that reality is just an emission by Vader
Hey, that would make me Plotin's Hen

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: September 28, 2002 07:04AM
Until someone proves me, all the scientists, optometrists, and the like wrong, there is no limit to how many frames per second our human eye can see. Theoretical limit yes, proven limit, NO. Our Optic nerves are the visual information highway by which our lens, then retina with the specialized cells transmit the visual data on to our Brains Visual Cortex for interpretation. This all begins with a nerve impulse in the optic nerve triggered by rhodospin in the retina, which takes all of a picosecond to occur. A picosecond is one trillionth of a second, so in reality, theoretically, we can calculate our eyes "response time" and then on to theoretical frames per second.

[amo.net]

It's not that boring reading as it may seems, it is quite short and very informative. It could help Mortal too.

and movement just an illusion

Usually it is for DC, never for Fast Eddie

Hey, that would make me Plotin's Hen

Or maybe Fichte himself (no mates this guy is not the one who designs aero packages for Sauber)

Date: September 28, 2002 07:18AM
It's quite a big leap from Plotin to Fichte, but under the aspect of systemetic idealistic philosophy there is definately a connection. Just a quick note: Plotin's (not Plato) Hen does not refer to the poultry of this man, but "Hen" is old greek word for "The One" from which the plenty emminates.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: September 28, 2002 07:25AM
We should definitely open a philosophical/ontological/cosmological thread.
Do you know that according to ancient Egyptians this world was originated form the semen of the elder god Atum when in the beginning of times he masturbated into the void?
I'm pretty sure Mr. Neil Stratton could come with a convincing answer that could make us undertand how the f... that guy was so horny without even a copy of Playboy from the sixties!

Date: September 28, 2002 07:48AM
That's nothing. The Tacullies - some north american tribe - believed that Earth is a piece of mud that a giant rat spat out.

Must give you quite a positive feeling to know you are living on rat's vomit.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy