Livery and Shape problems - questions answered

Posted by Ellis 
Livery and Shape problems - questions answered
Date: August 26, 2002 03:34AM
Posted by: Ellis
ok, im posting this cos of the vast ammount of emails in getting about problems with the cars (Jordan and Jag) i have release.

Please do read it all if you have time - i need help as you will find out

-----------------------------------

Livery inaccuracy

First of all - i know the cars are not 100% accurate - not all sponsors are in correct position, some sponsors missing, small spots of colour in random places

On the Jordan there is a yellow spot on the rear wing - im still not 100% sure where this is mapped from, as about 90% of the jordan is yellow so its very different to find

On the Jaguar the red line on the right hand side of the nose cone goes "off" the car for a small point. I didnt notice it at first, as i mirrored the left hadn side to get the right - and the left hand side worked, therefore i thot the right would be ok. again, thank Geoff for the texture mapping for this one

On the Jag the "becks" logog is missing from behind the bardge boards - dont worry, its being worked on.

On the Jag the Bardge boards are white with a green line instaed of having the Becks logo on it. - Blame this on texture mapping - the becks sign becomes majorly distored when put on - im trying to work around it - please give me time

On the Jagaur there is a green spot on the rear wing - again, still duno where its mapped from - about 75% of the jag is green.

On Jaguar there is green on the outside on the front wing endplates - im narrowing this down, not sure where its mapped from.

On the Jaguar there is a green line on the inside of the left front wing endplate - again, i duno

the "007" on the jags mirrors is slightly off center and dont display correctly on both mirrors - i just noticed that both mirrors map from slightly different positions - so this will be fixed

There is "yellow blobs" on back of Jag behind the exhausts - there are ment to be there - these are actaully ment to be on the rear suspension units, but thats impossible as all the suspension is mapped from a very small aera.

Rear wongs - The two cars i have released both use the Ferrari shape - the texture mapping for this cars rear wing is bad - it is all mapped from one small square in one of the tex files. Therefore, u cant but anything on the rear wings which uses a Ferrari shape

(yes, there has been screenshots of Marlboro on the rear wings, but the authorsays these have been enhanced by PSP, so these are 'false' images)

-------------------------------

'white cars'

ok, thats the graphics errors on the cars

Next - the people who get white cars

Now, i have found there is more than one reason for this, i only know who to fix one, the others, im still working out what is causing them.

The shapes i have put in the zips shouldnt search for the normal file names for the tex files.
The Jordan, for example, searches for tex with "jordan1" rather than just "jordan".

But sometimes this is not the case. On some computers it is still searching for the orgional file name. Obviously, there is somehting on some GP4 setups that is over-writing the carshape and telling it to search for the default, rather than what i have told it to search for. What is casuing it do to this, i havent the slightest idea at all!

BUT, what im going to do is provide two sets of textures - i will provide some with the origonal names, which will over-write files in your cars.wad, and i will provide the other files, with the different name which the carshape SHOULD be looknig for

This means that whatever it looks for, orgional or modified, it will find something.

You will have to compress both sets of files into your cars.wad - s it will increase in size slightly, depending on how many of these cars u install (after i release more that is)

Now, theres also something else making the cars white, again, im still searching for this. It seems to do it with some cars, in some slots, on some GP4s, again, i dont know why, and its proving hard to find it!

over 9 people emailed me asking about white jordans, and i enver had this problem, it was new to me. But when i tried fitting a Toyota skin onto am Arrows carshape, i found that i got the white car, no matter what i named the files.

Its NOT the tex files that are doing this one, its the shape and the slot. In my case, the Arrows 2001 shape will produce a white car in a Minardi (Toyota) slot - therefore i cant produce a Toyota on an Arrows carshape - which i was hoping to do

-----------------------------

BAR car shape

Ok, thsi shape is a apin in the arse!

The shape is fairly nice, and apart from the small winglets around the car, it fits into a lot of cars for 2002 dont it? I was going to use it for a Toyota.

But then i discovered a major problem which makes it impossible

The 2001 BAR shape thats in GP4 will NOT work in ANY other slot except the orgional. It crashs GP4 whislt loading the race/practice etc. Even with GPx in debug mode, it crashed.

Why? I honestly havent a clue at all! Im hoping to find out why, cos this shape is well made, the texs are layed out nice (i can find all the bits quickly and effitiently), and it fits with alot of other car shapes

Im hoping to find out whats so different about this shape that it makes the game crash in any slot other than its default

--------------------------------

future work

Im looking for advice here

See, i want to do more, i enjoy it, and it was a good feeling when i logged into the memebrs sectionm and found that the file had been d/l 500 times in less than 12 hours

but texture mapping causes limitations

Remember, this is new to everyone, and im new to car editing, so im having problems with the more complex cars like the Toyota livery.

I cant use the following shapes for liveries

car shapes i CANT use for other cars

1 - Jaguar - altho it fits with a Toyots the texture mapping is HORRENDOUS. there is small green squares mapped all over the car, which makes it sooo hard to fit anything in that is more than one colour

2 - Minardi - Well we have all seen that shape - its horribly wrong at the nose cone, altho its not that hard to map.

3 - BAR - wont work in any slot other than the default

The following shapes i would rather not use in some situations which i will mention

cars that are difficult to use - and i dont want to use really

1 - Williams - the Side pods arent very forgiving, but give me time and im sure i could work around it

2 - Prost - It WONT work for the Toyota, so please stop emailing me and sasking for a Toyota on a Prost shape - the reason for it not being on it in the first place was the texture mapping wont allow it cos of the Toyota livery being non-symetrical

3 - Arrows - wont work in the Minardi slot for me - therefore i cant do Toyota on the Arrows shape

Unfortuantly the Arrows shape fits well with the Toyota but i cant do it in the Minardi slot - i might do it for another slot if people want?

the Jaguar shape also fits with the Toyota, but wont work cos of Texture mapping

Now, what i want to do is the following

Arrows on a Jordan shape

Renault on a Prost Shape

Has anybody got any suggestions on what to put a Toyota on? - remember - no Jag, Prost, BAR

Also, what shall i put Minardi on? - no Jag, Prost, BAR

I dont want everycar on the grid to look like the Ferraro - but it is the easiest to do

----------------------------------------------

any Liveries?

anyone here ever made any liveries? Im struggling with

Hopefully this will stop me having to reply to 20 emaisl per day saying mostly the same thing

Any other questions please do post.

And do remember, this is all new to everyone, car livery editing to me is new, i cant use PSP very well and im struggling

I would REALLY like it if someone had made lvieries for the defaul carshapes, and would give me permission to modify there liveries for the new shapes

I already asked Ralph Hummerich, and he denied me Permission to use his, so i cant

Anyone who has liviers, of mid-high quality, that are decently accurate, and who will give me permission to use them, please email me at ellis2kx@hotmail.com , it will cut down the time it takes for me to make them if i dont have to make every little bit myself.

Thats the reason for starting with Jordan and Jag- the car liveires are simple - and mainly one colour. Most otehrs are not like this and have a complex design

Thanks for reading this :P

David Ellis

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Re: Livery and Shape problems - questions answered
Date: August 26, 2002 03:52AM
EXTREAMLY big thanx to Chunter who has said he could help with Liveries, even if it dont come out well or something, thank you for giving me the option :D

This is appreciated as i dont have huge ammounts of time and i start college on Friday - will cut down my time more

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 26, 2002 04:15AM
ok, i have more than one person im working with now, not only on liveries but when a shape editor comes out, i will be using my 3D modeling info to make new shapes with people

Date: August 26, 2002 04:16AM
Posted by: tux
keep up the good work ellis :)

Date: August 26, 2002 04:23AM
hmmm...white cars might be down to the alhpa layer acting up, i will see what i can do

Date: August 26, 2002 04:28AM
err...this may sound stupid

But all of you who are having problems, u have of course using the .tex files i supplied with the jordan, and not converting them into tga and using them?

I know that sounds stupid, but some people might be doing this.

U have to use the texture files i supplied

Theres something in the game telling it to search somewhere other than where i have told it to - dumbass suggested the gp4.exe (this is where GP3 stored it), but i cant find it in there

also, the drivers head position isnt stored in the carshapes or the gp4.exe

anyone know where its stored?

Date: August 26, 2002 04:42AM
This may look like im talking to myself, but people are emailing me too talk too

Viper has just suggested a fix for the white cars.

The people who are doing this wont be using the highest texture setting in GP4 - turn it too full

Later i will make low detail versions too.

you MUST have GP4 on the highest texture level to do this

If the problem is still here i might have another fix, but give me time...

Date: August 26, 2002 06:10AM
Posted by: Chunter
i've already made a Minardi like i said in my e mail to you ..but that was on every level of detail....there is something some where that is saying (in laymans terms) "hey !you're not supposed to be here" and is changing it to white...possible another Symergy way of stopping us from editing\making a car editor...all my stuff is one high and it went white for me( my minardi that is) i'm gonna try your Jag now and see how that gets on
Date: August 26, 2002 06:19AM
yup, got the email and replied

There is definatly something somewhere

I am telling the carshapes to search for a specific file name(s), and in most cases, this is working fine, but in some, the carshapes 'authority' if you like is being over-written by something else - and its looking for something else

What is doing this, and what its seraching for, i havent the slightest idea, but i am looking...HARD

Chunter, if u want, use my Jag as a base for your one. Its already around the Ferrari shape, and it will be easier to find the parts.

Dont worry about the time length, u cant rush these things :)

Date: August 26, 2002 08:10AM
Can people slow down with the requests :)

I have lots of people wanting a toyota skin on a BAR in the Prost slot

It wont work - sorry - AR shape cant be used

Arrows WONT work in place of the Minardi shape - sorry

Date: August 26, 2002 08:39AM
Posted by: Lilletto
Lol you don't look like someone editing something, rather like Columbus sailors sent to the unknown in 1492!
And I'm sure you encouters sea monsters from time to time as well :)

Date: August 26, 2002 11:36AM
Posted by: FBR_BDavis
I did the same thing that you are doing a long while back.. I wanted to replace the Arrows with a design of my own, but the carshape didn't appeal to me.. I used the Ferrari (HEX Edited) to replace the Arrows, and it worked fine, with the exception of the driver's head being in the wrong position.. My only guess is that the driver's head info is coded into the GP4.EXE file somewhere..

Here's what I know concerning the cars and some other particulars..

With the Arrows, the reflections used while it's raining will cause problems, because the reflections seem to be pulled from different areas of the TGAs which aren't really used by the normal Arrows paintjob.. The Arrows drivers heads are higher up than many of the other cars..

The drivers arms are actually in EACH track.WAD file.. I don't know why they did this, as it will make creating a whole new carset VERY difficult and the installation a VERY long process.. Also, the Jaguar's gold wheels are in the track.WAD files.. Again, another pain in the butt..

If you look on EMACF1.com, and go into the forums, a discussion has been going on between myself and Nuno about this stuff for quite some time..

Butch Davis
FBR Motorsports Owner/Driver
Date: August 26, 2002 02:00PM
ohhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhh!!!

I just got BAR working in a Minardi slot, with a Toyota livery :D

Date: August 26, 2002 04:45PM
Posted by: Whitey
I have a suggestion for livery mapping. Would it be possible to make up a grid of small numbers and symbols and paste them as a livery. Then you could look at where the number or symbol is and work out a little more easily where they are mapped. Don't know if it would work but it may be worth a shot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy