Expectations from new F1 Game

Posted by sonofjorel88 
Re: Expectations from new F1 Game
Date: May 15, 2009 01:46AM
Posted by: schroeder
well boys,
new f1 game will be (i fear) mostly arcade. they spend millions of $$ just for the license from bernie, plus the money for development, so they need to sell millions of copies to mostly mainstream to get it out again. or they have to make a series with new features each time...

maybe some of you still remember the planned ´99 update for gp3, never published, cause all things had been already avaliable, made by us -- loss of money ! gp3-2000 was bringing some new features (what actually 1999 should have), still not what we wanted to have...
gp4 was bringing much more new features, still not all we demanded. but gp4 was published unfinished, because of ea´s f1-2002.
there are so many useless files in gp4 waiting to get finished and to be useful (just for example the flags). was planned for the next update.
but i think it was a bit the fault of us, being quicker with updates than crammond. so nobody would be interested in a outdated game. loss of money again.
they had the license for 2002 season and were not using it, what a shame.

the heart of the gp series was always the physics-engine, based on real f1-data for the specific season.
we went on with nice graphics but unfinished physics, i think that´s why crammond (a perfectionist) dislikes our editing and lost interest...

i like to see in the new f1 game what i´d liked to see in gp5:

- physics-engine based on real f1 data
- team specific physics
- team specific sounds
- actual quali mode
- good flag rules with intelligent penalties, incl. pit-limit
- intelligent safety car (not coming out for just a lost wheel)
- good damage and failure model
- adjustable motormapping, rev-limit, fuel-consumtion, brake-balance
- real tire effects, like dirt, graining, wrong temperature...
- accurate tracks, speeds, timings
- playable on mid end pc´s
- decent ff-effects
- good ai´s

something forgotten ?
all the other eye or ear-creamy stuff is not really needed. you must be a good driver when racing on ace level, having time to listen how long somebody was in pit or play around with the keyboard changing strategies... ;)
just my 2 cents

matt
Date: May 15, 2009 01:59PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some of those things are not up to the driver.
> They have engineers that calculate the litres per
> stint and all these other things. You can't
> seriously expect normal virtual racers to have to
> blindly run on a track just to discover how many
> litres are consumed per lap when driving all-out
> or at a slower pace. That would be extremely
> boring for us. The stuff you said exists in GTR 2,
> rFactor... the only difference is that when you
> select your fuel (in litres) it gives how many
> laps that is (you can add varying levels of fuel
> and still be in the same lap, for example, the
> only thing is if you overdrive you may not reach
> the pitlane if you have your litres be the bare
> minimum for X amount of laps. Everything else,
> like stop/go, following pit limiter and parking at
> your spot are done by you.

That's why I said it - I didn't go according to what you might like in it - I said what I would like.

And it really isn't that hard to calculate what fuel usage you have. Just check at the end of every lap - simple maths. I am doing that in GP4 already with the fuel laps e.g. when using 0.85 fuel laps per lap, so that will mean if I have 30 laps left = (30 X 0.85) = I only need to put in 26(exact = 25.5) Fuel lapsof fuel in the next pit stop to make it to the end.

And if you don't have enough fuel to reach the end of the next lap - PIT EARLIER. It will only be your own idiocy if you don't put in enough. Ask Massa - Ferrari in his case.

If you like arcadey games that is up to you. I want a sim that gets me as involved as possible with all aspects of driving - not just driving blindly as you do as you said yourself.

And if they can do it in rFactor and GTR as you said, that's a different matter. It still needs to be in the new game. That's the same as saying 'You can't put cars in F1 09 - Need for Speed already has it'. So WHAT! We still need the new game to be as real but fun as possible.

And they can let you set if you want some things on or off e.g. rookie mode must be for you while I'll take Ace mode any day because it gets me more involved.

If I just want to drive around without making any quick decisions - I have my car to do that. I want to feel absorbed in the race, not 20 laps from the end think 'well I can't go any faster cause my fuel mixture can't change, so I'll stay 6 seconds behind the winner and finish there.' I would like to take a risk and hope my engine doesn't go before the end of the race.

But that's just my view and I feel that I am entitled to it. You have other ones - good for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 02:05PM by Ho3n3r.
Date: May 15, 2009 05:44PM
Posted by: Guimengo
What I meant was that many of those things you said are already present in many other games so it wouldn't be hard at all to implement them in the new game. It's just down to the developers.

About the fuel, the rate of consumption could decrease once your car has burned out some of the fuel and is lighter. Sure, won't be much but it will be something :P.
Date: May 15, 2009 08:49PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
You guys underestimate a lot the work that is necessary to do things in games. It's not a simple matter of just throwing in a few lines of code to make it work. You need to develop it, test it, make sure it is working in all scenarios possible within the game, make sure it doesn't break other game mechanics and if there are any form of graphics involved, then the graphics need to be designed, made, imported to the game format, tested and so on. Same thing for audio. And this is only basics. There are more things involved like cost, time, the several meetings to get it done...anyway, these things aren't simple. So when you say that implementing feature X would be easy, I assure you it is not.

I don't work with games particularly, but I do with websites, and it's the same thing. Sometimes, a feature will only produce another number on your screen, but the work to make it happen is really complex. So while I do share the opinion that having tons of features to make the game as realistic as possible, I do know that those things are mostly eyecandy in a way, and are definately not in their priorities.

I also think it's really early to be shooting it down like this without even a screenshot of the game available. Of course, it could come out crap, but it might just surprise you ;) I know you guys don't like it, but I found GRiD to be a very well done and polished game, even if it is not a sim. If they make the same effort on a F1 sim, I think something very good might come out. And again, there was a quick preview somewhere that said the game would be focused on simulation instead of arcade...i'm not making this up. I'll try to find it and post here.
Date: May 16, 2009 01:12AM
Posted by: sonofjorel88
I'm not underestimating how hard the development is at all and I'm not shooting it down. I want it to be good really. I love GP4 and always will and I don't think you will be able to compare the two games because really they have been designed so far apart. it not a battle its just progress. Its easy to say that we are underestimating how much development goes into a game but when code masters say and I quote "best F1 game ever" I have the right to expect a lot as it will have to live up to a lot to be the best ever, and to be the best ever it has to deliver a whole new experience. Codies have been around for along time and have really owned the rally market for better or worse for as long as I can remember and even though they venture into other things from time to time always deliver solid mainstream racing games. They will be putting everything into this game. it is an opportunity to do with the next gen and pc what colin mcrae did on the ps one, and creating a forum to ask what fans want from a game is an indication that there serious about making a good game.
its not a secret there trying to make it a sim .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2009 01:23AM by sonofjorel88.
Date: May 16, 2009 02:16AM
Posted by: J-C-2
schroeder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i like to see in the new f1 game what i´d liked
> to see in gp5:
>
> - team specific physics
> - team specific sounds

I already have these features in my F1 2007 and F1 2008 Csm Mods.
Its easy to implement if you know how.

Gp4world aka: Jcaranti
Racing Generation: Web Admin
WE OPENED AGAIN, COME AND JOIN US.
Date: May 16, 2009 06:21AM
Posted by: retop56
but I don't think anyone else would know because I don't think they have been released yet J-C ;D

--------------------------------------
I play GP4
2004-2008 mods!
Date: May 16, 2009 10:47AM
Posted by: schroeder
in gp4 you have one sound for all cars and you have one physic(file) for all cars. yes i know how to put them in, or choose them in csm.
but you can´t have them within the same time, like when switching cars (sound).
and for physics you can adjust the power and driver-skill but they have all the same physical condition within one pre-chosen "game".

and, hey jorge, don´t be nitpicking, i think you know what i meant... ;)

matt
Date: May 16, 2009 09:34PM
Posted by: J-C-2
Matt@ your right not all at the same time but its possible to make
engine sounds and physics for each team and make it automatically
when you choose a driver in the csm configurable menu. With this
same feature you can make an option to choose many other specific team
things.

And sorry about nitpicking. I didnt meant it like that ok.

Kind regards
Jorge.

Gp4world aka: Jcaranti
Racing Generation: Web Admin
WE OPENED AGAIN, COME AND JOIN US.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy