Back to the desktop

Posted by Edge 
Back to the desktop
Date: August 12, 2002 12:44AM
Posted by: Edge
I need help guys (In more ways than one)

As I droolingly bought GP4, I never thought it would be such a bitch to play.
Every time I go to configure, play In demo, or load the race in any way, it crashes back to the desktop. I've followed all the advice on the forum, reinstalled the game, directx, updated the drivers, sworn at it, kicked it and threatened suicide at it......
My Pc is the newest offering from Dell, all bells and trimmings (1.7Gb Pen4, Geforce3, 40Gb hard drive, blah, blah, blah)

HELP!!! I need the GP4 fix!

Many thanks people,

Edge.
Re: Back to the desktop
Date: August 12, 2002 05:22AM
Posted by: mortal
OS?

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 12, 2002 06:40AM
Posted by: Morbid
Yeah. Give us some more info to work with. Like, exactly when the game crashes, if it is systematic in nature (and how), and most importantly, exactly what you have tried to cure the problem. For instance, have you tried deleting f1gstate.sav and f1gstate.bak?

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: August 12, 2002 08:38AM
morbid,

the game crashes at the end of the progress bar for loading the track/race.

I tried the files that you mentioned but couldn't locate them in the folder.

As you can guess I aint that good at tampering with the folders and files on my PC.

Any help I get is gratefully accepted...
Date: August 12, 2002 08:54AM
Posted by: tux
ok, this might be when the game is initiating all the graphics stuff and dumping it onto the screen,

what gfx card and drivers u got?

Date: August 12, 2002 10:02AM
I have a geforce3 with the latest gfx drivers loaded in to it...
Date: August 12, 2002 12:06PM
The files are in the root/default folder. That is the same folder GP4.exe is located in. Do try and delete those two files. This does fix the "crash to desktop" issues for many users.

Date: August 12, 2002 12:29PM
Posted by: Ellis
We still dont know wot OS ur using? XP? Try older versions of drivers too

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 13, 2002 02:00AM
Right,

I went through all the files in the GP4 folder and could only find;

F1gstate.tmp and F1graphics.bak

I could not locate either of the folders you suggested..

I deleted both these files just in case and the same problem occurred..

sorry..
Date: August 13, 2002 02:01AM
I am using XP, do you think the older drivers may work?

would it make a difference if I installed win 98?
Date: August 13, 2002 02:09AM
hmm,
if theres only F1gstate.tmp and G1graphics.bak then that means the game crashed when it was saving the settings.

try deleting those 2 files, start the game, exit without saving, open f1graphics.cfg, enable running in a window (so u can see any error messages if any show) and try run it

Date: August 13, 2002 04:11AM
Posted by: mortal
xp! it figures, are we still praying for a patch or what? I gave up trying to get it to run on xp, just couldn't quite get it right, yet it runs great on 98se, curiouser and curiouser ;-) It's definately a drivers issue, try running it through gpx_patch, set debug mode and verbosity to low and see if you get a error log file generated on a forced exit. Worth a try, I finally fixed it by a file backup of everything, an uninstall of xp, format c: and re-install 98se ;-) it took nearly 4 days for a total rebuild, totally stressed out but hey I'm driving again :-) Good luck with it.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 14, 2002 09:32AM
Posted by: gnoppi
That's sound ridicolous to me... why do I have to switch back to a crappy OS like win98se (i had it and after one year I had to re-install it) because a "crappy" piece of software like GP4 wasn't tested in the right manner!!!
They simply do NOT tested it with XP. GP4 is the "only" software that I own that doesn't work well.
Simply naked truth.

P.S.: How about the obscene "menu system"? I find it crazy from the start but couldn't imagine to find it again in the newest version of the game. You have to go through dozens of screenshot just to load a wheel. It remembers me a DOS game.
Date: August 14, 2002 11:23AM
Posted by: Ellis
"They simply do NOT tested it with XP. GP4 is the "only" software that I own that doesn't work well"

GP4 was tested in XP, but xP has lots of comaptibility issues. ITs the oppostie for me. Every peice of software i have has a problem with XP, excpet my games.

You know what the best bit is? Microsofts own products never tell you the proper operating system. I get errors saying "this program doesnt run in Windows NT", other times i get "This program doesnt run in 2000"

Please make up your mind what OS i have installed and stick to it

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 14, 2002 11:26AM
has any one tryed GP4 on win 2000?

Date: August 15, 2002 08:31AM
Posted by: gnoppi
Maybe I was misundestood. Let's clear my thoughts.
- XP is a new OS and not an upgrade for previous OS's.

- what I meant in my previous rant is I've no problems with programs specifically written to be XP compatible.
YES, I've got problems with some CD-burning apps because they were designed to work for 95/98/ME or NT/2000.
I downloaded new versions, simply dropped in and... tadah! No probs.

And, again, I've installed about 50 or 60 programs (XP versions, remember)in my XP machine and noone gives me a problem.

What I find simply unjustifiable is that you sell a new software that is clearly not working with XP. Who tested it? A blind? Cannot believe that only customers have problems with XP and testers didn't find none.
And last but not least, XP is the OS that is installed in all new machines that are on sale from November 2001.
The truth is: they rushed the game because they could not postpone it again and again (would've been ridiculous to have a game out in 2003 with 2001 pilots, circuits and machines).
Date: August 15, 2002 09:09AM
Quote: "they rushed the game because they could not postpone it again and again"

Very old news, and this rant is getting boring.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy