Direct X and GP4

Posted by Cmspodwy 
Direct X and GP4
Date: July 24, 2002 03:05AM
Posted by: Cmspodwy
Can anyone explain this!

Originally, I was running GP4 off Windows 98 and directx 8.1 which I had downloaded from Microsoft's website. My Pc is a AMD Athlon XP 1700+ with 512 DDR Ram and a Gainward Ultra 750 Golden Sample XP Geforce Ti 4600 with 128mb ram.

Running GP4 at 1024x768 with all detail on highest setting except for environment using static mapping and mirrors on cars only. And the multimedia settings in windows were set to there lowest rating. I was getting a FPS of around the 40fps mark. And I was happy.

Then I installed the beta version of directx 9. Had problems with it running 3Dmark 2001se so I got rid of it by using a direct x uninstaller.

Then I rebooted my PC and installed direct x 8.1 again. Except this time I used the version supplied on the GP4 cd.

Now, I am running the game with the same original settings except I have the sound settings in windows on full. When I test the graphics all I get back is an fps of 18 - 21fps. Plus all the movies, like the intro and the winners etc are all jerky.

However, the game absolutely flies. It plays faster than before with all the sounds as they should be.

But 3Dmark2001se is only giving my dekstop a performance rating of 7000 3d marks. Nearly 2500 3dmarks less than I was getting before.

But the game still plays miles better than before.

I just don't understand.
Re: Direct X and GP4
Date: July 24, 2002 04:10AM
Posted by: mike
Hi,

you have to uninstall DirectX 9 beta with utility - "DirectX destroyer" and
next you install DirectX 8.1 again, and it would be OK. If no, you will have
to reinstall Win.
Date: July 24, 2002 05:29AM
Posted by: genesis
This was talked about in length in another thread.

Just use system restore to go back to when you had 8.1.
Date: July 24, 2002 06:15AM
Posted by: CDN_Merlin
You can never fully uninstall DIrect X. Best to format and start fresh or never use a beta of DX.

Beta tester for;
Descent 3, C & C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,
Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: July 25, 2002 02:18AM
Posted by: Cmspodwy
I think people are missing the point of this thread.

I don't want/need to reinstall directx or windows as I am very happy with how the game is playing now. It is playing better than ever before.

I was just making a point that I did not understand why I was getting such a better performance after uninstalling direct x 8.1 which I had downloaded from Microsoft's website and installing the version of direct x 8.1 supplied with the game.
Date: July 25, 2002 05:00AM
Posted by: genesis
But does it really matter? If it's performing better don't question it just play the game in the knowledge it's better!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy