Indy 500 Lap Times

Posted by Glyn 
Indy 500 Lap Times
Date: July 17, 2002 02:32PM
Posted by: Glyn
You have to admit it, the F1 Indy track aint exactly hard, but I was just wondering what kinda lap times people are doing there?

Ive managed a 1:11.4 which got me pole on Ace level by .500! :D

Re: Indy 500 Lap Times
Date: July 17, 2002 02:41PM
Posted by: tux
:S:S:S im confufused, what track, were?

Date: July 17, 2002 03:44PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Indianapolis, US gp. Neil, that's very quick. I really hate that track, and avoid it at all costs. That and Sepang. And Hokenheim and Monza.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: July 18, 2002 08:58AM
I quite like those tracks really. Indy is a strange place really. Not my favourite it has to be said. Spa is by far the best though :D

Date: July 18, 2002 09:06AM
Posted by: Morbid
I have not come around to this track yet, but I will give it a whirl today.

Mind you, we may not quite be able to compare lap times as I currently play 10% quickraces exclusively at semi-pro (warming up for a championship season @ Pro once the worst bugs are fixed), with the default setups, and of the all the driving aids only use Launch Control. Even steering help is reduced to 0%.

But I will post a lap time once I get a decent one in the bag.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 18, 2002 09:26AM
Posted by: CarbonDiscBrakes
Go for pretty high downforce at Indy,the speed down the long straightaway is not as important as the Downforce for the Slow,Tight infield section........If anybody was interested.
Date: July 18, 2002 09:35AM
Okay, first quickrace: duration 7 laps, p22. I finished 17th with no retirements in the grid, 40 seconds after race winner Rubens. My best lap was 1.17.600 (no help from slipstream), 3,5 seconds slower than the fastest lap. Pretty good considering that I have never ever driven a lap there, not even in GP3 2K.

My first impressions are that the track is a bit sterile, and there isn't that much of a technical challenge. Basically the hardest thing is the extreme lack of marker points for braking, turn-in and acceleration in the infield section. But I guess I will get the hang of them soon, and improve my laptimes.

Date: July 18, 2002 09:59AM
Second quickrace: duration 7 laps, p22. I finished 9th with no retirements in the grid that benefitted me. I was even caught behind a titanic battle between Raikonnen and Alesi for 5 laps. I finished in 9.04.324, trailing 20.546 seconds behind race winner Mika.

My best lap was 1.15.951 (A last minute slipstream probably shaved 0.2 seconds of my time), 2.263 seconds slower than the fastest lap. I can't believe I am doing so well after only 14 laps in total on this track! Looks like I will be able to post a decent lap time very soon.

Date: July 18, 2002 12:03PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
That first corner has no markings, I miss the braking zone every time!

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: July 18, 2002 05:12PM
The first corner after the straight has meter boards to the upper left. If you get it right, you can brake right after it, and zoom into the corner with over 140 kph. The only corner that gives me a lot trouble now is the one that opens up to the main straight. I keep braking to early, so I corner with 110 kph instead of 130 as the lowest speed.

Btw, I just finished another quickrace. Went from p.22 to p.10 in the first corner, and fought my way up to second. During that I clocked a 1.13.668. I got a bit of slipstream just before the finish line and that probably shaved 0.2 seconds or so of my time. But I am firmly convinced that I can get a 1.12.9xx without slipstream. I don't think I can go much lower on Semi-pro. I can really feel that I don't have maximum power on the straights.

Date: July 18, 2002 05:21PM
errm that should have been "...you can brake right after the 100 meter board."

Date: July 18, 2002 06:13PM
Posted by: Lilletto
Quick race 3 laps as Panis...1.16.495 with standard setup and car power team dependant, I finished 4th from 6th, with no retirements but with a nice "Schumy classical move" at start played from Montoya...on Schumy himself!
Cool to watch from behind! :)
Actually I've found you can brake for turn 1 just under the SAP sign.
And yes the trickest point is the last turn because after the apex you must go all to the left for gainin speed and yet you have to avoid the wall...

Date: July 18, 2002 06:27PM
Posted by: Lilletto
Same as before but as Rubinho 2nd from 6th....1.15.184 with just one good lap since during lap 2 I was slowed by DC.
Anyway it's almost 1sec and half faster than with BAR.

Date: July 19, 2002 03:01AM
My first impressions are that the track is a bit sterile, and there isn't that much of a technical challenge. Basically the hardest thing is the extreme lack of marker points for braking, turn-in and acceleration in the infield section.

Those were my first impressions too. Its not exactly a hard track to drive, but its a hard track to drive fast on. Im using the default setup and its a bit undertseery. Very difficult to get the car into the corner and hit the apex, but when you do the lap time comes straight down.

Date: July 19, 2002 02:14PM
Yes, the track is a bit sterile, but it offers a bloody good race with the AI. I have had some absolutely furious battles. At one time I led the race and on the final lap we were 3 cars side by side and one looking for a slipstream. The braking and turn-in at the first corner was a hair raising experience. But nevertheless we all came through in one piece, and even though I lost the lead, I managed to recapture it in a slipstream in the last corner.

Speaking of which, I have completed my quickrace practise at Indy. So I probably won't be posting any more laptimes. But I do have two new ones, both without slipstream.

1.13.524 (my last quickrace on the track)

Both were made with used tyres and too much fuel for a hotlap, so I am certain that the last 4/10 can be found on Semi-pro. 1.12.9xx should be possible, but I think it will be bloody hard. Anyway, thanks for the nice thread. I enjoyed it even though I never reached the initial 1.11.400.

Date: July 20, 2002 03:17AM
My hotlap was set with 3 laps of fuel (outlap, hotlap, inlap) and soft tyres that had done 3 laps (for some reason it wouldnt let me select a new set?).

I think I was very lucky really. Dont think i'll ever be able to do it again. I just met every apex perfectly and the laptime came. Ive tried since to better it, and actually never got close.

Ill keep trying - my personal challenge :)

Date: July 20, 2002 03:24PM
Posted by: JohnW
Neil,

Were you using the default setup or one of your own ? If it was one of your own creation, perhaps you could post it here.

My best time with GP3 and a track download was 1:16.xxx but I only had been playing for 3 months. ( That's my excuss and I'm sticking to it . )

JohnW
Date: July 21, 2002 03:47AM
John, I was using the default setup. I get on with them quite well really.

Date: July 21, 2002 02:10PM
Ok, Ive now completed the race at Indy, 100% race distance, default setup (qual foe qual, race for race) and soft tyres.

In qually (as Jenson said :) ) I did a 1:11.4xx as you know. In the race with about 25 laps worth of fuel I did a 1:12.7xx, averaging about 1:13.5xx for the other laps. That was going to be a winning pace, just pulling ahead of Schumacher the 2nd place man, until on lap 27 I had an oil leak :(

An easy race victory leaked away

Date: July 21, 2002 03:40PM
Posted by: BYF
I managed a 1.12.3xx in qualifying with rubens, on ace level- default setup after about 30 minutes of learning the circuit. I reckon I can get well in to the 1.11s pretty soon.

Cheers
BYF
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy