Oil on the track?

Posted by Marki 
Oil on the track?
Date: July 14, 2002 03:39AM
Posted by: Marki
My first full lenght race was at the Imola circuit in Ace mode(wheel, all help functions turned off). Starting from the back of the grid(too lazy to qualify) I managed to go up around the 13th place when one of the CC' engine blew up in the Rivazza corner and black smoke started to coming out of it. He moved off the track, but the guy just ahead of me(behind the other car) didn't manage to take the corner, he went straigt into the garvel trap. Recognizing this I went slower into the corner and there was no problem at all.
I wonder if there was oil on the track from that car(could it be in GP4?), or maybe the AI didn't(or did) work well, and the driver ahead of me tried to avoid a collision with the other car and overcorrected. Unfortunatelly I didn't save the game and had only 2 mins of replay set. At the end I finished 9th(in great battle with Nick Heidheld) and reached the 3rd best lap time in the race.
This game is brilliant. AI much better than in GP3 was, GPS tracks are amazing. As a lot of you guys said the more you play with it the better it becomes.
Re: Oil on the track?
Date: July 14, 2002 04:31AM
Posted by: Lilletto
I don't think oil on the track is contemplated in GP4.
Maybe it was pure chance or AI failure.
I witnessed something like that at Magny Cours during a race in moonson conditions.
At the 180° some backmarkers were going wide as I tried to lap them.
Maybe it was because they just were trying to let me past them giving me a way through on the inside.

Date: July 14, 2002 06:36AM
Posted by: bazbarrow
Cool, do the backmarkers get blue flags? I have not noticed this myself.

b

Date: July 14, 2002 07:42AM
Posted by: CDN_Merlin
I witnessed an engine fire last night., Couldn't believe it.

Beta tester for;
Descent 3, C & C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,
Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: July 14, 2002 01:31PM
baz barrow wrote:
>
> Cool, do the backmarkers get blue flags? I have not noticed
> this myself.

Not by marshals, just flashing blue leds on steering wheel.

Date: July 15, 2002 03:25AM
Posted by: Boomy
Please simulate it and post a link to the replay of fire.

Maybe if you set all damages possible in your own car,then run in first gear at maximum throttle until your engine blow up could be a way to see what happens..

Boomer
Date: July 15, 2002 06:47AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
heres a pic of what a fire looks like (i doubt it'll work though)

Date: July 15, 2002 06:48AM
ok just copy and paste that address into your browser

Date: July 15, 2002 08:03AM
Really cool,and about fuel on track?

Do you think it exists?

Just curious....

Boomer
Date: July 15, 2002 08:07AM
Posted by: Mark
i've not noticed oil on the track,besides geoff couldn't be bothered putting an oil flag in the game.on the subjest of flags,take a close look at the flags the crowd are waving,the marshalls yellow and green flags are in there as is the chequered flag
Date: July 15, 2002 08:27AM
Why there are no blu marshalls for lapped man?

It's easy to miss blu light for damned lapped men,infact they sometimes leave space to overtake,sometimes they zig-zag bastardly....

Boomer

P.S. --------take a close look at the flags the crowd are waving,the marshalls yellow and green flags are in there as is the chequered flag-------

I don't understand this above...could you explain the concept in an english easier?
Date: July 15, 2002 09:24AM
Posted by: tux
if you are getting laped then you get a blue marshal flag (but it might hav been because the race had only just finished, but then there is a bug because i was stil racing :S:S:S)

Date: July 15, 2002 09:59AM
No way to see blu marhalls,only led on cockpit.

And BTW I have never been lapped :)

Boomer
Date: July 15, 2002 11:07AM
Posted by: bazbarrow
What would be really cool in GP5 would be when you select a player, you select a nationality and then when you race at your home GP the crowd could wave your national flags and make some noise when you come up past the grandstands.

Just a thought!

Baz

Date: July 15, 2002 11:17AM
complicated stuff obviously.take a look at the crowd and the flags they are waving,amongst them will be the same flags the marshalls are issued with.

rather than have more national flags in the crowd geoff has just taken up space by throwing in the marshalls flags as well.

be honest would you go to a gp and wave an all yellow warning flag or an all green all clear flag,or maybe you turn up with a chequered flag.pathetic
Date: July 15, 2002 01:52PM
Mark wrote:
>
> complicated stuff obviously.take a look at the crowd and the
> flags they are waving,amongst them will be the same flags the
> marshalls are issued with.

That's why marshalls never wave blue flags to backmarkers. All were stolen by spectators.

> be honest would you go to a gp and wave an all yellow warning
> flag or an all green all clear flag,or maybe you turn up with
> a chequered flag.pathetic

I think that for some people going home with the official chequered flag would be a nice souvenir :)

Date: July 15, 2002 03:37PM
its poor programming, these flags are all around the ground,spectaters waving marshall flags.
Date: July 16, 2002 05:15AM
To be honest I see several national flags,like english,finland etc...

Boomer
Date: July 16, 2002 08:13AM
Posted by: Morbid
I have seen the English, German and Finlands flags being waved from the grandstands. I have also seen a load of other flags pinned up on the front of the stands such as Scotlands, Brazils and the Ferrari's "coat of arms". Perhaps you should spend more time looking at the replays, before you judge the "issue of missing flags"?

As to the marshalls not coming out to wave blue flags, I can understand why the programmers did so. Normally at real F1 races, marshalls only wave their flags from behind their protected positions. Otherwise they run a high risk of getting killed or maimed, as the past has proven so many times.

Now the reason that they DO run out with the yellow and green flags in the game is probably because we as gamers cannot have a proper sense of peripheral vision (approx 180 degrees). We only have about 20 degrees because of the limited size of the screen of the monitor. They could have given us 180 degrees but then everything would look warped and fish-eyed.

And if they had planted the flag marshalls behind the barriers as they should be, we probably wouldn't see half of them. Hence they run to the trackside, but only when it is strictly necessary, like when you are running a risk of hitting a car that isn't moving (yellow and green flags). Making the marshalls come out to wave blue flags would probably make the marshalls come out on 50% of the laps on average. I would get pretty tired of looking at them, if I saw them waving flags and running back and forth every 3 minutes or so, for a 90 minutes race.

I think it is a fair and decent compromise, between playability and what happens at real F1 events.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 16, 2002 09:01AM
0800 Part No. X05-76336

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy