F1 2002 and Grand Prix 4

Posted by SupernovaHeights 
F1 2002 and Grand Prix 4
Date: July 01, 2002 05:18AM
Posted by: SupernovaHeights
I just wanna say to all the people that perfer F1 2002 over Grand Prix 4, I think all of u are mad.

I just played the work in progress version of F1 2002 and I must say it is complete rubbish, ea sports games in general are rubbish but in F1 2002 the cars have square wheels, i'm not kidding. at least GP4 have round wheels like any F1 car should have.

The graphics in total are complete rubbish in F1 2002. The only good thing going for F1 2002 is the fact that it has the 2002 driver rosters.

Now i'm not saying Grand Prix 4 is perfect but it is by far the most realistic F1 game out.

Grand Prix 4 has many problems BUT they can be fixed in patches. I can't wait for the official GP4 patch.

In my opinion F1 2002 was rushed, all ea titles are rushed, u may think differently but everyone has a opinion.

oh yeah and for all those people who are having frames problems and u have a Nvidia based card use the 29.80 drivers, I get 31 frames using a Geforce2 MX 32mb on a P3 600
Re: F1 2002 and Grand Prix 4
Date: July 01, 2002 05:48AM
Posted by: matthewp
for a start the demo is a work in progress piece of software, there are some important improvements in the full version. If you think the graphics are crap then I think you're mad. They are at least on par with GP4 and the graphics engine is much more efficient.
As for gameplay is really enjoy playing GP4 but it's not realistic at all, it is absolutely piss easy even with all of the aids off, there's no torque modelling, no camber modelling and no suspension geometry modelling. here's an extract from another person putting it much better than I could:

Turn-in understeer does not exist in this game. You can turn-in at almost any speed and the car miraculously holds a perfect line through the corner; there
Date: July 01, 2002 06:50AM
Posted by: SkAiFeY
err feck off.. no way is f12002 beta than gp4

accept the tarmac in gp4, its too light and bare ;)

Chris C
--------------------------------------
GPTC & GPVWC Manager o' CVRT
HawkEyE '01WC' Driver o' CVRT
http://cvrt.tk
Date: July 01, 2002 08:02AM
Posted by: Doug
I think Trev from PC Gamer said it about right, by f12005 you will have a complete world beater.

Unfortuneately for EA, we'll have Grand Prix 5 by then too. Just as long as Geoff pays attention to what went fundementally wrong with Grand Prix 4...

Date: July 01, 2002 08:46AM
"err feck off.. no way is f12002 beta than gp4"

well you do make a very convincing arguement but i'll stand by my opinion
Date: July 01, 2002 08:53AM
ISI said that for the next game the AI will be thier biggest priority so if they get that right and continue to improve track accuracy (F1 2002 is not great but much better than F1 2001) then they could have a complete world beater by F1 2004 or even 2003. Since GP2 each Gpx has been a very small improvement on the previous so this needs to change otherwise people will have to dump this strange loyalty to game producers i.e. Crammond. some people wouldn't buy an EA just becuase its made by EA even if it was a complete world beater, I couldn't give a shite who makes the game, I just want the best one.
Date: July 01, 2002 09:26AM
Posted by: Racerx
Could not agree with Matthew more.F1 2002 is an awesome game it is a major step forward in F1 gaming.I have no prob running it on high settings and it looks great.Like he said I don't care who makes the game just how it runs.Even the online play in F1 2002 is very good,stop and go penalties and animated pits.Just raced Monaco and all I can say is wow.Who is mad?
Date: July 01, 2002 12:58PM
Posted by: Morbid
I don't think you know what you are talking about. Granted, there is no torque modelling, no camber modelling and no suspension geometry modelling in Gp4. But no turn in understeer? Are you nuts?!? That would mean that you would never need to brake at all for any corner whatsoever!!!

Turn in understeer means that your front tyres do not have enough grip to turn in and hold the line as you want to. If you ever find yourself running off the track before the corner is finished, and there are no other explanations like you got hit, spin, or lack of concentration, you just experience MASSIVE turn in understeer. Ever run wide in a corner? Thats turn in understeer. So, try and go to Hockenheim and take the Jim Clark Schikane flat out. If you do it, then I will believe you.

And braking at 50 meter mark? Same as before, show me a hotlap thank you very much.

Eau Rouge with no nosecone and no aids flat out in the rain on slicks?!? Show me a hotlap.

Don't believe everything you read. Think and maybe even try to do it yourself. Better yet, have proof when you post about it.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 01, 2002 02:22PM
Posted by: _Alex_
Morbid's got it all right. I don't know where these people are coming from. This guy seems to have some serious luck when it comes to braking late!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: July 01, 2002 02:54PM
I've got a hotlap of doing Eau Rouge flat out in the wet with no front wing, and no aids, I can e-mail it to you if you want. why don't you try it yourself the backend gets a bit nervous but if you turn in really wide initially its not that hard.
I'd like to make it clear that i'm not on a crusade against GP4, I really enjoy the game and some aspects are excellent, I just don't think the physics engine is one of them.
Date: July 01, 2002 03:00PM
I just noticed that you quoted me as saying that I did it on slicks which I did not say, It was on wet weather tyres but its still not too likely is it, they can barely take it flat in the dry. A couple of years ago Martin Brundle said after talking to some other drivers he's never heard of anyone taking Eau Rouge flat in any conditions. The reason it sounds like they are doing it flat out is because they keep the throttle down but also rest on the brakes. with today's huge grip they probably have moved on in this case and do take it flat out but never in the wet especially with a knackered front wing
Date: July 01, 2002 03:11PM
Posted by: Doug
Well to be fair, at least the AI never do it flat out and also you wear out the plank when you do so many drivers probably don't flat it out, because they run the risk of flating out their board underneath after a long period of time - and Schumacher was banned after having too shorter plank wasn't he - and after Spa too...

Just a possibility

Date: July 01, 2002 03:28PM
true, you do have to make sure you don't bottom out to much or it swaps ends quicker than you can say "Micheal shumacher is a dirty cheat" :-)
Date: July 01, 2002 03:28PM
The reason why I said ON SLICKS, was because the dude (Rousseau)which you quoted, stated that it was on slicks. I felt it would be better to actually use the situation described in the original article. If meant something else than him, and you therefore feel that I twisted your arm here, well... then you are probably right.

Date: July 01, 2002 03:39PM
Posted by: Mark
is this the same alex who said last week we were all knitpicking,this game is so badly bugged its ridiculous,and alex 2 post going on a hundred each are we all wrong.

gp4 is badly flawed,again today last lap,the winner still undecided im chasing ms at spa,and guess what the marshalls all come out on the last lap waving flags.this is supposed to be after the race finishes not while their is a chance the lead can change,i saw a yellow flag and eased off but i was wrong a marshall thinking the race was over.

but alex its really good and we are all overreacting,im sick of coming in to the pits and can't get out.

morbid, u quote mark and a point about braking in your last post.well it isn't mark i think you'll find it's matthew.

why when you come in just to change tyres are the pit crew putting the fuel hose on
Date: July 01, 2002 03:40PM
if your referring to the same original article as I am (at www.simbin.com)
he said, and I quote:

Put simply, you should not be able to drive flat through Eau Rouge holding the racing line in seventh gear, in the wet, with a damaged front wing without traction control

here's the article if anyone wants to read it, he does make some good points but it is obvious he hates Gp4 and loves F1 2002 right from the off and is very selective on which parts on the games he comments on, he doesn't even mention the track martials which I thought was a nice little feature

[www.simbin.com]
Date: July 01, 2002 03:44PM
"track martials" lol, bit of a typo there, although I think some Martial arts experts would be a nice addition to sort out any disgruntled Mercedes employees.
Date: July 01, 2002 03:48PM
Uhm Mark, I cannot see that I quoted the wrong guy... matthewp quoted Rousseau, and I qouted them. I don't see that I wrote Mark anywhere... Did I miss something here?!?

It seems that it is correct that it isn't present in the article itself. Anyway, I have been following this Rousseau dude, and he states in one of the followup discussions that the test was done on slicks. If he corrects the information in the article, thats what I use. I can find it for you if you want me to.

Date: July 01, 2002 03:52PM
fair enough, I hadn't read on, i'll take your word. As I said this article was obviously very biased and I doubt it could be done on slicks but I think thats pretty irrelevant. You shouldn't be able to do it in the wet at all, let alone with no front wing.
Date: July 01, 2002 04:25PM
We agree on that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy