grafix options, documentation ?

Posted by jp2 
grafix options, documentation ?
Date: July 01, 2002 12:56AM
Posted by: jp2
hi all,

we have quite a few options in the graphics menu, and i suppose we all spend a lot of time fiddling around with them, trying to find out what they do and how they affect the po. but i never read a documentation about these options. at least in the german "handbook" (which is half french, but thats another story), they dont mention these options at all.

this is a really poor performance from infogrames, not printing a single word about one of the most important setup screens in the game. or did i miss something, maybe a readme ? can anybody please explain these options ?

CAR GEOMETRY
TRACKSIDE GEOMETRY
TEXTURE DETAIL
PIT CREW (self-explaining, but why does it affect the fps ???)
MAIN VIEW (self-explaining)
MIRROR VIEW (self-explaining)
ADVANCED LIGHTING
ENVIROMENT MAPS
BUMP MAPPING
REFLECTIONS
SHADOWS

greetings, jp
Re: grafix options, documentation ?
Date: July 01, 2002 03:20AM
Posted by: Glyn
Yup

CAR GEOMETRY - the quality of the cars
TRACKSIDE GEOMETRY - the amount of scenary you see on the track
TEXTURE DETAIL - the quality of the textures (medium gives very good quality by the way
PIT CREW (self-explaining, but why does it affect the fps ???) - I guess it does when your in the pits with a load of other cars, or are using an external camera that looks over the pitwall so they have to be drawn
ADVANCED LIGHTING - when you go in shaded areas of the track you get fancy lighting effects like the lights in your cockpit are clearer etc.
ENVIROMENT MAPS - fancy graphical thing that makes it look stunning. sadly you need a stunning computer to play it on full though
BUMP MAPPING - another fancy graphical thing to do with textures. doesnt effect performance all that much. i would enable it.
REFLECTIONS - the reflections quality. high tends to be a bit much, but low seems to look ok
SHADOWS - the quality of the shadows

Hope this helps.

Date: July 01, 2002 04:59AM
Posted by: jp2
great, thanks !
Date: July 01, 2002 06:41AM
Posted by: dave
You are right though jp2. compared to the information that came with GP2 and GP3 (I admit I never owned the first one) A 34 page black and white book is a load of crap.
Date: July 01, 2002 06:50PM
Posted by: seemsnice
I mentioned this same thing in an email to Morbid - extract below:

The GP4 manual has nothing about settings for graphics etc or about replays. If you compare GP2 - Excellent manual AND Driving Guide, GP3 very good, GP3 2000 additions to GP3 manual only, THEN GP4 manual - it is CRAP ! If you were new to GPx then the GP4 book would tell you nothing ! It assumes we already know about the other subjects covered in previous manuals and doesn't cover the game Menu system at all.

PIII 1.0GHz Abit SA6-R MSI GEForce3 512MB SBLive5.1 Win98SE/XPPRO dual boot Mirrored IBM 7200rpm UDMA100 disks Guillemot Ferrari FF Wheel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy