Some official business :D

Posted by MikaHalpinen 
Some official business :D
Date: June 25, 2002 02:59AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
G'day all..

This post is kinda useless, just thought I'd keep the community feel and tell a little story...

I went into Electronics boutique yesterday and saw on the shelves endless rows of Grand Prix 4. It was about now I started drooling, so I went in, grabbed it off the shelf, and as I was heading to the line, I saw a copy of Grand Prix Legends in a small display of random games, for 20 bucks. I swiftly picked it up and waited patiently in the line.

It was whilst I was in this line that I noticed a copy of all the "WORMS" games combined for 15 bucks, so I picked that up too, cos I was needing to get a friend the rest of a birthday present. (I had already got him a shotglass and yard glass, I thought a bit of variety wouldn't hurt. Also, it was a combined present with a friend so the total cost will only effectively be half of what I paid.)

Then, it was my turn to be served. With GP4 and Worms and Grand Prix Legends under my arm, I put them down on the desk. The friendly salesman guy said "hey man, how u goin'" (he was American). Then he saw my arm, which is in a sling at the moment, and goes "skateboarding, huh?" and I replied "no, rugby." Then he said "ohhh ok." After I had paid I picked up my bag with the three games in it, wished the salesman guy a good day and left.

I got home to find my sister on the computer, so alas, I had to wait. Now, I am on it, but seeing as though my Graphics card will not be received until Friday at best, I must wait several days. In the meantime however, I'm gonna try and work out some way of taking at least one corner in GPL.

And, I have officially created a folder where all my Grand Prix 4 downloads will go. I had downloads all over the joint with Gp3, so this time I'm gonna be organised. I suggest you all do the same too :)

Also, I have changed my bookmark of this site, labelled "Forum - Grand Prix 3" to "Forum - Grand Prix 4" and changed it to go to this forum.

So there we have it, my Tuesday afternoon all wrapped up. I get my sling off on friday, I get my graphics card and a chunk of 256 megs of RAM on friday, and I finish school for 3 weeks on Friday. It's days like that that really do it for me :)

Re: Some official business :D
Date: June 25, 2002 04:13AM
Posted by: Vader
:-)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 25, 2002 04:42AM
Posted by: _Alex_
LoL - *wipes tear from eye* - such a wonderful story!

So, have you managed the one corner on GPL yet!? :-)

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 25, 2002 05:58AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
G'day all...

No I bloody well haven't....what's the trick to this game? i don't get it!! Is a wheel neccesary? cos i dont have one of them... Is it just a case of practice makes perfect? Cos I honestly find it really frustrating more than anything else :S

Date: June 25, 2002 06:03AM
Posted by: chris
I know! I downloaded the demo a while back, and Christ it was hard. One click of the 'left' key, and I was spinning all over the place.

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: June 25, 2002 06:46AM
Posted by: Zcott
The trick is to be really, really, really smooth. And it's really, really, really not easy!
Date: June 25, 2002 06:46AM
Posted by: _Alex_
It's a case of practise makes a lot better - I don't think there's any such thing as perfection in driving technique for GPL. And a steering wheel helps no end. Unlike the Crammond games which are great with a keyboard, GPL really does suck because you don't have anywhere near the kind of command you need over the car to keep it in control. Mike, practice practice practice and it'll soon click. When I first played it, I thought I'd never be able to make a corner, but then I practiced and can lap consistantly and fairly quickly without mistakes... and it's fun! But Gp4 is my favourite racing game at the moment, GPL can have a break ;-)

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 25, 2002 10:38AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
The key to this game..as im sure others have said - i skim read them all is just to keep practising. Like alex said, suddenly you find yourself gettting the feel of the car and can go lap after lap without spinning.....the next step is to go fast ;)

Nice story and rubgy rules - Union not league i hope ;)

Date: June 25, 2002 11:38AM
Posted by: pannini
GPL is a superb game. I wouldn't even consider trying to drive it without an analogue wheel though. using keys must be like trying to balance a biro on its nib.

Also the lotus is fastest but also quite unstable. try the brabham or ferrari, they are a little easier. (fantastic engine note on the ferrari btw)
Date: June 25, 2002 12:25PM
Posted by: Glyn
You do indeed need a wheel for GPL. I find a good tip is to be smooth on the gas. Its very easy to plant the throttle and control the slide, but that gets you a bad lap time and a free trip to the wall. Nice.

Oh, and have a good Friday! :)
I wish my Fridays were that good. Hehe

Date: June 25, 2002 02:19PM
Posted by: ddaddy
This is a fantastic game but then I am slightly biased as the company I work for helped in some of the hands on data. We are a multimedia company however a couple of Director are ex racing drivers and belong to Brooklands, so they know a thing or two about old racing cars. They gave advice to handling and historic details while I had a chance to test it every now and then as they felt I was the age group they where aiming at ( 35ish at the time).
I found the best way to drive it was with a joypad using one stick to steer and the other as the throttle, remember that as soon as you feel that you are losing it slow down slightly then power up to regain control, the tyres have less grip so only break in a straight line, use the throttle for the rest. I found La Monza the easiest. There are lots of site adding downloads and there is a patch to make it slightly easier.

[centre]Good Racing[/centre]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy