So, waht is the deal with GP RACE?

Posted by OboroHD 
So, waht is the deal with GP RACE?
Date: February 18, 2024 06:50PM
Posted by: OboroHD
Is this a copycat stealing tracks? Or another gatekeeper? I would like some context for that odd site.

EDIT: Sorry for typos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2024 06:51PM by OboroHD.
Re: So, waht is the deal with GP RACE?
Date: February 18, 2024 09:24PM
Posted by: Prblanco
It's a site that hosts multiple tracks and mods; some are made or compiled by the site owner himself, most are works made by other people (including myself and/or F1virtual), either updated or simply reuploaded by the site owner.

My biggest complaint about it is that a casual user who simply finds the site and downloads something has no way of knowing in which of the above categories any track or mod is. It has happened that third-party works were stripped of their original readme.txt files and no mention was made to the original authors.

Many people in this forum tried to reach to the owner and get him to get permissions or at least give proper credit to third-party works, but he was usually dismissive and one some of his answers included "I don't have time to go through every work I've ever uploaded and find the original authors" or "it's not needed because everyone in the GP4 community already knows who creates what". It's been more than a year since I last tried speaking to him, so I don't know if anything changed.

Anyway, every time someone mentions that site here, expect some heated arguments.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Re: So, waht is the deal with GP RACE?
Date: February 19, 2024 05:37PM
Posted by: ooleeeo
It is a site where they listed every year F1 mod, which for me was a surprise since I have been with GPG for long and well aware of which seasons we have in terms of modding.

Which was very odd until I read that there are questions as regards the legibility of these mods that are hosted there.

After that, I never tried anything from that site, and people like Prblanco who have provided the community with quality tracks over the years has rightly pointed out about permission issues.

Kimi forever!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy