GP4 crash issue [Fixed]

Posted by Arsenal_in_Aus 
GP4 crash issue [Fixed]
Date: July 02, 2021 02:19AM
Posted by: Arsenal_in_Aus
Downloaded and installed GP4, but now when I run it I get the introductory screen, select 'play', and it just crashes - nothing else happens from that point. Tried using each of the compatibility modes, but it made no difference. Running a notebook with Windows 10. Any suggestions? Really keen to play this old game again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2021 09:38PM by mortal.
Re: GP4 crash issue
Date: July 02, 2021 02:24AM
Posted by: mortal
Set gpx verbosity to high, save the output error log if there is one and upload to pastebin and post the link. Edit your topic header to show [gpx crash log] when done. Also have a browse through the FAQ.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: July 02, 2021 10:57AM
Thanks for that. Excuse my ignorance, but how do I set the gpx verbosity to high? When I try to run the program I get the start screen only, and when I select 'play' nothing at all happens. There are no settings to adjust, there's no error log.
Date: July 02, 2021 12:11PM
You should install from the iso found on gp4central. Mount the iso using a virtual drive. gpx_patch is included as well as the updated no-cd gp4.exe and the v9.6 patch. It is ready to play after installation. gpx may require an update to the latest version and someone here can link you to that if you make a post request on it. It may be in the downloads area, and the search function is crap and has been for yonks so good luck finding it.
Setting verbosity to high on the front tab of gpx will create a log file when there's a crash. You can then upload the log to pastebin and post the link adding in other relevant info such as the OS, mod used etc. using gpx crash log as the header.

If you don't have gpx then it's possible you are using an un-patched vanilla GP4. There is a post on graphic display problems in the FAQ that might be worth looking at. Check the download area for Zaz Tools which is required to run mods. If you're going to run CSM from Zaz Tools it is wise to backup the anim, cars.wad and the exe for a clean restore if CSM falls over on the restore process which is known to happen occasionally. Just create a backup folder in the root dir of gp4. You'll get there. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: July 03, 2021 07:35AM
So the version I have is from GP4central, and I did install it using a virtual drive (incidentally, I still have my original cd too, but no CD-ROM any more). Installed, set up, and when I run the exe I get the initial start screen (where you select 'play';). I select it, and nothing happens, nothing at all. I just don't know what gpx is or how to change the gpx settings to get an error log. I thought from all the comments that the GP4central download was gpx-inclusive.
Date: July 03, 2021 08:37AM
Just to be thorough, I completely started over - downloaded the ISO from GP4 central again, mounted it, ran setup, then launched the game. Again, the start up screen displays and I select 'play', then nothing happens.
Date: July 03, 2021 09:45AM
[rsdi.home.xs4all.nl]

Re: GP4 crash issue - error log
Date: July 03, 2021 11:44AM
Great, thank you. I thought the GP4central version included the gpx patch, but apparently not? Anyway, downloaded and installed, set to high verbosity. Error log:

Starting log
GPxPatch version: 4.52
GPx version detected: encrypted GP4 v1.00
Date/time: 3-07-2021 19:42
[19:42:27.323] Verbosity level is 2
[19:42:27.323] OS version info: Windows 10 build 19042
[19:42:27.323] Total physical memory: 7996 MB (free: 3098 MB)
[19:42:27.323] Executing gp4.exe
[19:42:27.339] Waiting for child process 'gp4.exe' to start...
[19:42:27.354] Waiting for process decryption...
*** error reading process memory: (299) Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed.

[19:42:27.776] Terminating process...
*** error terminating process: (5) Access is denied.

Any suggestions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2021 11:44AM by Arsenal_in_Aus.
Re: GP4 crash issue - error log
Date: July 03, 2021 12:56PM
Insufficient data except for one item. Incorrect executable, use this------> [www.grandprixgames.org]

Download this---------> [www.grandprixgames.org] <--------CSM is required to load mods.

Backup wads and exe once you have it running clean. Did I say BACKUP? Yes, backup. You'll get there. Always run from gpx to start.

Greetings from Northern NSW.

Date: July 05, 2021 12:50PM
Thanks for that. Downloaded and functioning! Getting used to the game again. Seems to be quite a few glitches (car colours not displayed, controls different in game play to settings, speedo mph vs kmh wrong) but having a blast.

And greetings from Sydney.
Re: GP4 crash issue - more issues
Date: July 09, 2021 01:20AM
Ok, looking for input again sadly. As of today the game is asking for the CD on startup. No idea why - didn't do anything different to previously. Still starting it via GPX patch. Tried re-using my backed up copy of the exe but didn't make any difference. Any suggestions with what to do? And how to stop this happening again? I'm in the middle of a season and leading the championship!
Re: GP4 crash issue [Fixed]
Date: July 09, 2021 08:58AM
Posted by: Carl_gpgames
if you don't have a physical drive you need to mount the gp4 ISO (can also be downloaded from gp4 central). just double-click the iso and you are ready

GP Files | GP Videos | Discord: Carl_gpgames#2350
Re: GP4 crash issue [Fixed]
Date: October 22, 2023 10:42AM
Posted by: gp4wonder
Hi All, check my post:-

[www.grandprixgames.org]

GP4 EAX environmental sound option enabled, engine reverb in Monaco Tunnel, no CTD. GPXPATCH use CPU ALL
Date: October 21, 2023 03:21PM
Posted by: gp4wonder [ PM ]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2023 08:54AM by gp4wonder.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy