Force feedback jitter

Posted by zifox 
Force feedback jitter
Date: October 28, 2021 01:08PM
Posted by: zifox
Hi,

I had a jittering issue with the FFB on my wheel (a G27), which is related to feedback strength.
It happens when no "centering force" is applied on the wheel: in straight lines, when being still on the starting grid, or when lowering the car in the pits (when the car hits the ground).

My wheel oscillates around the center a lot, so much that I have difficulty keeping a straight line with one hand: the shocks are powerful.

At 60% FFB strength, it doesn't happen much: when the car doesn't move the jitter stops by itself, flat out in a straight line I can handle the wheel with one hand.
At 90% strength or more, it's quite problematic: when the crew lowers the car the wheel oscillate more and more wildly, same on the starting grid, and I really have to get a good grip at high speed to avoid crashing.
And obviously, the wheel gets really hot since the motor is always pushing. ( after a full race the casing of the wheel is almost too hot to touch)

It's particularly sensible in Interlagos, which is a bumpy track. I don't recall having that behavior before ( i mean several years ago). Is there a tweak / setting I could modify to reduce of amount of shocks i'm getting ? ( and only these, other FFB effects are ok)
Re: Force feedback jitter
Date: October 28, 2021 01:16PM
Posted by: fongu
Sounds like your Tweaker settings needs amending

Date: October 28, 2021 01:27PM
I'm not using GP4tweaker, there's an option to handle my issue in it ?
Date: October 28, 2021 02:12PM
yes, you can amend the strength of the jitter in Tweaker. You can also adds force feedback on kerbs

Date: October 28, 2021 02:44PM
Thanks for the tips, i'll have a look at this tonight.
Date: October 28, 2021 07:58PM
Posted by: JCaranti
These are my logitech G27 settings.

What i dont share is the degree angle of rotation because its something personal that i dont want to give away.

2010 to 2021 Gp4 Track updates
Date: October 28, 2021 09:15PM
@JCaranti : i'm using the same options already, thanks for sharing.

@fongu: I installed GP4 Tweaker (1045CU1), and I found nothing to edit individual effects for FFB. There is a global strength option, nothing more.

I read this thread: [www.grandprixgames.org], but i don't have the same files: the only one I have in my GP4 install is gp4tweak.bin.

Shoud I create the ini file by hand ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2021 09:20PM by zifox.
Date: October 29, 2021 04:46PM
It will be managed by an ini file, common to find it in CSM mods.

FFEffect = 1 ; set to 1 to enable force feedback custom effects (GP4 v1.02 only)

The 2021 mod will be a good place to start

Date: November 05, 2021 01:35PM
Ok so it seems that the DLL for gp4tweaker doesn't support the same tweaks as the GUI version does, but even looking at the dll version, I don't think there is something to fix my issue.
Date: November 05, 2021 04:12PM
Posted by: Carl_gpgames
try the "reduce with speed" option in the gp4 controller menu

GP Files | GP Videos | Discord: Carl_gpgames#2350
Date: November 06, 2021 12:47PM
The reduce with speed option is a sensitivity setting, not a force feedback one, I don't understand how it could have some effect ?
Date: July 10, 2022 10:48PM
Ok i found a lead: it doesn't happen without GPxPatch. Which is a bit of a problem for me as I can't load a race with a custom season without GPxPatch, the game crashes before the weather forecast screen with many of the custom tracks. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2022 10:50PM by zifox.
Date: October 21, 2022 05:42PM
Some news about this issue. First of all, i'm not the only one having this problème PWM (Ted Meat) has it too on one computer, with a different wheel brand.
While trying some tweaks on GP3 on my newest machine (it won't run in hardware mode), I realized I had the issue too. Thing is, I play GP3 on an old laptop, which has no rendering issue and I didn't notice any issue with the FFB.

So I ran GP4 on my laptop, and no issue at all.

So I guess the issue might be linked to the way USB is managed on new computers ? I'm wondering if GpxPatch does something with USB ? I tried both USB3 and USB2 port on my new machine, hoping it could be linked, but I have the issue on both.
At first I thought I could be an AMD/Intel issue, since my laptop is on Intel and my desktop is on AMD, but PWM has the opposite configuration (AMD works, Intel doesn't). Common thing is : we have jittering on new hardware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2022 05:43PM by zifox.
Date: October 22, 2022 03:09PM
Posted by: npnc
Try using reshade. I have solved the ffb problems.
Bye
Date: October 22, 2022 08:15PM
Wait, you had jittering with FFB and you solved it by using reshade ? I can't see the link ? The replacement of the directx dll maybe ?
Date: October 25, 2022 09:47AM
Posted by: npnc
Here you find explanations about reshade: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Try it maybe solve the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2022 09:48AM by npnc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy