A curiosity when starting GP4 on Windows 7 x64

Posted by XenonS 
A curiosity when starting GP4 on Windows 7 x64
Date: August 29, 2016 09:38PM
Posted by: XenonS
Hello Grand Prix fans,
I'm new on this site and very happy to see that the GPx series are well alive and lot of mods are available. I have been highly enjoying the series since the late 90s (my first on Amiga) and have played all of them, GPF1-GP2-GP3-GP4. With GP2 and GP3 I used some mods or changed the game to make some crazy car effects during races that made it the hell difficult and challenging to actually finish a race without the loss of my car because of total damage. The 'standard settings' for the game was well too quiet and the mods were able to change that quickly ;-)
After a long pause of about 10 years, I recently had some doubts about starting GP4 in Windows 7 64-bits on a laptop with an older grafic card (ATI Radeon HD 5750), but it was a total success especially because of the help in this forum:

[www.grandprixgames.org]

It worked perfectly for me, I'm able to play at 1920x1080 with a constant 30 FPS. My current game setup is: Full install + patch 9.6 + GPxPatch 4.44 (all extensions disabled, 4 cores and sound extension enabled) + GP4Tweaker to get rid of black flags during Practice races.

I have one curiosity (I don't want to call it a nuisance) however: When starting the game with (or without) GPxPatch, it takes very long to load, more than one minute. I speed things up by going in the task manager, killing the GP4.exe and then re-start the game, it loads immediately after that. Any idea what causes this, and how to get rid of it?

Rather than increasing realism, I would enjoy a mod that increases the effects of car crashes to make a race more difficult to complete, yes it's arcade I know, but I'm not a fan of realism. Is there such a mod (like in GP2) or do I need to change the car phisycs?

Thanks very much for your feedbacks !
Greetings,
XenonS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy