Question about textures and alpha layers

Posted by jucksman 
Question about textures and alpha layers
Date: March 29, 2016 11:39PM
Posted by: jucksman
Guys, What do I have to change in the alpha layers to make a texture less shiny, giving it a more matte appearance?
Re: Question about textures and alpha layers
Date: March 29, 2016 11:55PM
Posted by: Excalibur
A quick edit that you can do to fix it: Fill your texture with 50% grey and opacity between 30% to 50% ;-)
Into Photoshop: Edit/ Fill

If not enough, Fill with black, opacity 40%

I am making a tutorial to make a proper alpha layer and ambient Occlusion (shadows) for textures with 3DS Max. I hope that it will be useful. Coming soon...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 12:00AM by Excalibur.
Date: March 30, 2016 12:45AM
Excalibur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A quick edit that you can do to fix it: Fill your
> texture with 50% grey and opacity between 30% to
> 50% ;-)
> Into Photoshop: Edit/ Fill
>
> If not enough, Fill with black, opacity 40%
>
> I am making a tutorial to make a proper alpha
> layer and ambient Occlusion (shadows) for
> textures with 3DS Max. I hope that it will be
> useful. Coming soon...

Thanks Excalibur. Quick question: the alpha layer I want to edit appears red in photoshop. To make It matte, do I need to have more White or black in the layer?
Date: March 30, 2016 12:55AM
jucksman écrivait:

> Thanks Excalibur. Quick question: the alpha layer
> I want to edit appears red in photoshop. To make
> It matte, do I need to have more White or black in
> the layer?

Oh, yes, sorry, I thought that this step was already done.
Yes, before to modify your alpha layer, you have to set your texture in black and white: Image/ Settings/ Black and white. Then, you can fill it with 50% grey or black for more opacity (so, less reflections in game)

But if you mean that your alpha layers appears red and that your original alpha is not red, it just means that your RVB channels and alpha channel are all enabled. That's normal. Just disable the alpha and save (your alpha channel will be saved also). I hope that I am clear into my explanations. When the RVB channels and Alpha channel are enabled into Photoshop, it is just to watch if all the layers match correctly... Like this:

So, if your alpha channel "alone" appears correctly, just disable it, enable RVB channels and save your texture, like on the 1st image...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 01:22AM by Excalibur.
Date: March 30, 2016 01:22AM
Thanks Excalibur.

So if my alpha layer is entirely black, that would mean a completely matte texture?
Date: March 30, 2016 01:36AM
Yes, and no reflections at all in game. It could be strange for realism, ... but you can test. Sometimes, only carbon or inner parts of the cockpit have got a black alpha parts!
Alpha layers are necessary to reflect ambient lights of the tracks, environnement lights, weather (sun, rain etc..) and tracks objects reflections, shadows etc... So, it is possible to get a black alpha but your car or other 3d model won't profite from the effects of the game... But it is up to you ;-)

Date: March 30, 2016 02:12AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
Excalibur Wrote:
> I am making a tutorial to make a proper alpha
> layer and ambient Occlusion (shadows) for
> textures with 3DS Max. I hope that it will be
> useful. Coming soon...

That sounds great, really looking forward to that!

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy