Please help - traction & short shifting

Posted by RHill 
Please help - traction & short shifting
Date: November 08, 2015 05:09PM
Posted by: RHill
Hi,

I have one problem with GP4 that would otherwise be a perfect game.

I always seem to have (no matter the mod) better traction out of slow corners (maybe because I short shift better I don't know), but I've tried so much to even up the acceleration out of slow corners and nothing's worked.

You guys all talk about amazing ai and even the ai being better at accelerating so I'm really in need of some advice on how to even up the traction, so the ai stay close on long straights after slow corners.

Please help
Re: Please help - traction & short shifting
Date: November 08, 2015 06:47PM
Posted by: Atticus.
First things first: does it also happen when you play vanilla? (No mods, preferably no custom tracks, not even GPxPatch, Ace difficulty, no driving aids, especially no traction control, F7 or something.)

If so, look up your local driving school instead and go be a race car driver in real life because you are doing something special. ;)

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]
Date: November 08, 2015 06:50PM
Doesn't seem to matter what combination (vanilla also), when I exit slow corners the ai just drop off enough to not line up an overtake.

Ai cars in front seem absolutely fine
Date: November 08, 2015 07:05PM
I Looked at the ai speed vs my speed at the half way mark on the sepang straight for example and the ai reach 173mph by the mark and I reach 176mph (enough to ruin the ai's overtake chance).

Nothing I try seems to either limit my speed or increase the ai's!

I just want them to accelerate out faster
Date: November 09, 2015 11:58AM
As an example here, I did a test.

In the first two sectors of sepang, I am fractionally slower than a completely equal field (all same stats in perf file), I was about 5 - 7 tenths down after sector 1 & 2 in last place on the best lap info. After the final sector I am 4th quickest, meaning the swing happens in the final sector....where all the overtaking happens.

So my problem is, how do I limit my advantage in the last sector?!
Date: November 09, 2015 01:44PM
Posted by: Atticus.
As I've said, don't use customizations. Are you still faster if you don't use performance-equalling performance files or GPxPatch?

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]
Date: November 09, 2015 01:59PM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
> So my problem is, how do I limit my advantage in
> the last sector?!

You could run more rear wing - which could help your sector 1 & 2 - or you could shorten your gearing a long way, or you could increase the length of your 6th and 7th gears to kill your acceleration in the later part of the straight.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Date: November 09, 2015 02:15PM
I'm looking for something that will not then mean I'm off the pace though. I tried lengthening my gears and I was just plain off the pace then.

It's like I need the ai to stay closer. Going to test default gp4 and see amd report back. Might also try increasing ai power until they stay closer and up my master grip to compensate in the twisty stuff.
Date: November 09, 2015 02:44PM
It's like a rebalancing of power vs grip is needed (me tiny more grip and ai more power)

Is there a way to effect traction of the ai, without just using power which tends to be later on the straight?

I even tried shortening the ai's ratio but they just topped out
Date: November 09, 2015 02:54PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
In the magic data of a track you can adjust the grip values besides the power values for the AI.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: November 09, 2015 02:59PM
The cc power and cc grip values? Only problem is I use power and grip option in gpxpatch and therefore it effects me also
Date: November 09, 2015 03:03PM
I need something that effects player acceleration without effecting me I think
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy