GP4 crashing to desktop (resolved)

Posted by gp4wonder 
GP4 crashing to desktop (resolved)
Date: July 11, 2015 07:57AM
Posted by: gp4wonder
I came back to Grand Prix 4 recently to have another crack at the stability issue:- crashing to desktop
After much testing this gave me great results. no ctd infact

whether you set the game resolution within the game or setting it to 1920 x 1080 in f1graphics.cfg
you must click on test under the Advanced option under graphics menu.

Do the following:-
-Set the windows desktop to 16bit , right click on desktop and choose screen resolution, then click on advanced setting,
then monitor tab under colors drop down choose high color (16bit)

-Go back into the game, options and then graphics, click Advanced, select manual, set all to the highest level
click on test, (on fast PC you should get close to 60fps, click on test 2 to 3 times to get better result if you can with
the fps) Then on Frame rate slider, set it to 30fps from 60fps or half of what the maximum is. (this will make the processor work
less and the game will still run super fast)exit the game and save it on the way out.
run the gp4.exe or gpxpatch.exe (note here make both exes compatibility level windows xp sp2 and tick the following check
boxes:-

disable visual themes
disable desktop composition
disable display scaling on high DPI settings
run this program as an administrator

Now I know about the gpxpatch setting CPU = 0 but what happens here the game runs slower and becomes sluggish
and it still crashed to desktop, the test and fps slider is the key in my opinion, I have not had it crash on me with 2 pcs
hooked up, with tcp/ip multiplayer. Everytime you change the resolution you must use the test button, which will give you
the max fps setting and then half that on the fps slider.

my rigs:-

-AMD FX-8350 8 core
-16gig ram
-video cards:-
-gtx 750 ti 2gig ram
-radeon 7850 2gig ram
-windows 7 SP1, 64 bit

Additional notes to assist, if you want to set 1920 x 1080, open this file with notepad:-
f1graphics.cfg

And set the following:-

1 ; f1graphics.cfg controls all settings (default 0)
1920 ; [RELEASE] Game 3D Horizontal Resolution
1080 ; [RELEASE] Game 3D Vertical Resolution

[DEBUG] Game 3D Horizontal Resolution
1920 ; [DEBUG] Game 3D Vertical Resolution
1080 ; [DEBUG] Game 3D Vertical Resolution

Then save the file

Go back into the game and graphics option, do not touch the screen resolution of 640 x 480
Just click on the Advanced option and do what I stated above with using the test and fps slider
once adjusted exit and save and then get back into the game and play

Enjoy
Re: GP4 crashing to desktop (resolved)
Date: July 14, 2015 01:18AM
Posted by: rookie26
Unfortunately this didn't fix the Problem. The Game crashed again. What a shame. It was worth a try though.

So I guess the only Solution is to install Windows XP 32bit again. Meanwhile I really tried absolutely´everything that was suggested
in this Community, but without any success.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy