Hello, new here and I want to mod!

Posted by pjlx911 
Hello, new here and I want to mod!
Date: July 03, 2015 09:30AM
Posted by: pjlx911
Hello,

As the title states, I'm new here. I have just gotten GP4 the other day, got it to work on my Windows 7 PC (thank you CSM). Loved this game since I was a kid, and now that I'm older, I love it even more!

So, I was checking around and I have to admit, the mods out there are just awesome (been stuck on the 1988 mod because of the MP4-4). And I have to admit, I'm starting to develop an itch to develop a mod for the game myself! The issue is that I just don't know how to really, everything seems to be so scattered that I'm having a tough time piecing together a "A-B-C" sort of structured way to do what I am thinking of (and a LOT of broken links along the way!).

So I am asking you guys if you could help me out. I am actually thinking of making a mod that will have new cars. I am pretty good with modelling (using 3DS Max), and I want to make a series that has cars based off those sick looking X1 cars from the Grand Turismo series. I just don't know what all goes into it. The only potiental tutorial (it was a link on realgpx) is a broken one. So I'm asking if anyone could give me a structured way of doing this?

Also, I want make a driver pack to go along with these cars. I don't really know where to start with that either.

Like I said, I'm a total newb at this, but I am motivated and want to learn how to do this as well.

So can anyone help? Any links, advise, or instructions, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Re: Hello, new here and I want to mod!
Date: July 03, 2015 09:56AM
Posted by: mortal
Welcome to the site. :-) Take a look at the FAQ (sticky topic), and if you find any broken links drop me a pm. Cheers.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: July 03, 2015 10:47AM
Posted by: soulbringer
Welcome to the site.

This old piece of tutorial, even though it's made for z-modeler has some useful information. Making a GP4 car

There are stuff like objects structure inside gp4 file there, and how to actually get the car into game. You can obviously skip modelling in zmodeler parts.

One tip would be to base size and proportions of your car on one of existing cars (original or newer one).

You will need to go through zmodeler to get your car into .gp4 format. And I'm sure 3DS Max users here will help explaining what format to export into to preserve normals (remember vaguely reading about either Richard Burns rally or Mafia format )

Cheers.
Date: July 03, 2015 10:54AM
Posted by: TomMK
pjlx911
I am pretty good with modelling (using 3DS Max)

Interesting...

You're right that there's not much in the way of tutorials. We're kind of a figure-it-out-yourself community :) Do look through the FAQ though as mortal says.

It sounds like you have the necessary basics working (GP4, GPxPatch & ZaZ Tools). I would add RealGPx's Team Editor v3.5 and GP4 Builder 2015 to your toolbox. Very useful for modding the game files directly, knowledge which you can then transfer to CSM mods later.

Have a read of this page on GP4 Central. Eventually I may get round to writing up some other articles... :(

Cars, Helmets, Cockpits, Tyres and Steering Wheels (shapes and textures) are all in cars.wad (EasyWad can open a .wad file, a bit like a .zip file). The shape files are in .gp4 format, which GP4 Builder 2015 can open, and also ZModeler v1.07b can import a .gp4 and export it as a .3ds. Textures are in .tex format, which Slimtex can convert to .tga.

Have a play with all that and let us know what you need help with next!

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy