CMAGIC track data file location

Posted by AustinF1 
CMAGIC track data file location
Date: June 11, 2015 12:16AM
Posted by: AustinF1
I have finally got the correct version of CMAGIC to work after setting the compatibilty to XP SP3 and run as administrator. The issue I have now is this: The small window opens and allows me to set the correct GP4.exe location and select a track file. I end up inputting a .dat file there as these are the only type files the program seems to accept (thus I guess that is what goes there). However, the other field wants a selection for the track data file. I have explored all over the entire GP4 folder (don't think I missed anything) but cannot seem to find any file that CMAGIC likes. Help.

[www.mediafire.com]

Thanks sincerely,
AustinF1
Re: CMAGIC track data file location
Date: June 11, 2015 01:04AM
Posted by: SDI
In the Edit menu extract the magic file from GP4.EXE. It will save a .md3 next to your .dat file. You can edit it with Notepad. Then you can select this file and insert it into the .dat file.

René Smit, Independent Software Developer.
Download my GPx tools here.
Date: June 12, 2015 02:00AM
Thanks for the reply, Rene. I did manage to open a couple of those magic data files but couldn't find what I was really after, to change the pit crew guy pointing me the wrong way on some of the new tracks. In general, I have been experimenting with all this GP4 data with Team Editor, Zaz Tools, and now this Cmagic but am a bit frustrated because I suppose I don't really know what I'm doing and/or don't have a good grasp on how the GP4 is structured or "thinks". I usually like to set-up my own car and start last and challenge myself through out a race to pass every other car and use both steering and braking assist. I seems that no matter what I change on the data settings the performance of my car is inconsistent from one track to the next. My favorite track is becoming the 1991 Phoenix track which runs fast for a street circuit and I am always fast there. But if I then run Detroit or Pau, for example, my car runs like it has a boat anchor hooked to it, being very sluggish on acceleration and terribly slow in braking to a slow corner, getting smoked by most of the field. I can run on the 2005 version of the Jerez track and rock but when I run on the 1988 Jerez I am mid field. The issue of consistency is only with the aftermarket tracks and not the OE tracks. Don't misunderstand, I love the sim, I just run on it so often I want all the tracks to work well. Perhaps there is a built-in setting on a track file that is varied in the way it slows down the user when they have any of the assist functions turned on that overrides anything that has been tweaked(?). I have played with changing those "amateur" and "rookie" power and grip numbers in the TSM Magic data window but can't see much change when I do. I can tweak the driver numbers in Team Editor to boost my car and that works great on some tracks but not all which is confusing as I run through the GPxPatch with that Performance File boxed checked all the time. I really do like that GPxPatch, by the way. AustinF1
Date: June 12, 2015 02:23AM
Posted by: TomMK
It's a valid point. Mainly the inconsistency is due to the Magic Data being created by the authors of each track, and it having an effect on the performance of the Human vs the AI. Since everyone does their own thing, all the tracks are naturally inconsistent with each other.

I've tried to address this by including a consistent set of Magic Data in my mods for every track on the calendar, plus many others. It's also available here. I'm happy to add more tracks if there's one missing that you want.

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2015 01:04AM by TomMK.
Date: June 12, 2015 03:17AM
Thanks for the reply. Link sends me to Web Page Not Available though. Thanks
Date: June 12, 2015 07:35AM
Posted by: SDI
Try this link instead.

René Smit, Independent Software Developer.
Download my GPx tools here.
Date: June 12, 2015 07:54PM
Clicked on that link, been there before. Tom has posted some helpful downloads there but I'm not seeing any that relate to his reply on here(?). Thanks
Date: June 15, 2015 08:10PM
Do you have a good link to those MD files?
Date: June 16, 2015 01:50AM
Posted by: TomMK
It's there - 2014 & 2015 Magic Data.

Although this topic will have a big implication on my Magic Data and performance in general in GP4 so maybe hold off until it's worked out.

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: June 19, 2015 04:32AM
How does one install these md3 files into the system?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy