Variation between tracks

Posted by RHill 
Variation between tracks
Date: June 13, 2015 06:22PM
Posted by: RHill
Hi all,

I have a method for finding a good difficulty level for my ability when starting to use a new CSM season mod and also different drivers/cars within a CSM season.

I would like to know what other people do to avoid huge variation in difficulty from track to track though.

For example (Toms 2014 mod) I was qualifying 8th with Button in Montreal with power and grip settings of 500 and 555. I then go to Bahrain and I'm 22nd, two seconds off 8th place with the same 500 and 555 settings!

I'm happy with my procedure for new CSM mods and new drivers within a season, to find a good difficulty, but how on earth do you guys get consistency from race to race?

Are there any quick ways to find a difficulty value or am I missing something? Something lots of gp4 players do during practice to find their pace perhaps?

The variation is just huge at the moment.
Re: Variation between tracks
Date: June 14, 2015 03:19AM
Posted by: TomMK
Those are not the only values that affect the relationship between the Human and AI performance, so although you might set those the same in every track, if you don't make EVERY value that affects the relationship consistent, you're still going to get inconsistency. For example:

; desc46= drag / d'force - a function of air density - affects top speed & acceleration & PLAYER ONLY downforce (lower value = higher top speed)

That value needs to be set to the same value for all tracks if you want equal peformance.

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: June 14, 2015 09:00AM
Thanks Tom,

So by making the values consistent I can make better consistency from track to track.

What other values should I ensure are the same?

As a side point, should I try to use magic data values that are contained within a track download for these values that need to be consistent?
Date: June 14, 2015 05:41PM
Update here...

Changing all the values to be exactly the same as another track makes no difference. I even tried using Montreal magic data at Bahrain and still 8th in Canada and 22nd in Bahrain with the same values.

This must mean the power and grip values determine my competitiveness at each track. I just can't see how I'm going to know what value is best at each track, when the values in just two tracks range from 500 & 555 to 500 & 532!
Date: June 15, 2015 01:36AM
Posted by: TomMK
Have you altered your setup to suit the track? Maybe you're just better at Montreal (so far!)?

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: June 15, 2015 10:06AM
I'm using the default setups at both tracks.

Would you recommend using the magic data that comes with a track download and therefore the power and grip values included with it for each difficulty?

If so, can you point me towards a tutorial on installing track packs when using CSM? I'm needing to get magic data that suits the track build and CSM season I'm using. Rather than using say 2014 magic data on a 2007 CSM mod.
Date: June 16, 2015 10:31AM
Posted by: EricMoinet
TomMK écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
; desc46= drag / d'force - a function of air density - affects top speed & acceleration & PLAYER ONLY downforce (lower value = higher top speed)

If I'm correct you have to uncomment this line to make it available (so removing the ';';)

@RHill : if you want to improve your performances vs AIs you need to draw a setup for your car rather than changing values in MD files. With default setup you'll have most of the time an average parformance for your car. Default setups are just a base that you need to tweak to catch the last tenths and have a better performance with your car. It's a hard task, but very valuable in the long term while you're improving your laptimes.

Date: June 16, 2015 12:17PM
when you say uncomment the line, what do you mean?
Date: June 16, 2015 03:24PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
He means deleting the character ; at the start of the line

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: June 16, 2015 04:16PM
ok, what will that do to the value ?
Date: June 16, 2015 05:56PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
To be honest I'm not sure if the line I quoted in Tom's post is complete or not. This is maybe only the commented part of the full line which in that case would start with an item and its value.
I haven't been into md files since a very long time and don't remember it accurately, so maybe the best thing to do right now is to wait for TomMK or someone else to confirm if it's the full line or just its commented part. (and I'm more thinking it's the second option by now)

Date: June 16, 2015 06:36PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
You really need to invest some practice time in finding a decent setup. I hate understeer so I'll typically go for a +3 front wing bias.
So if I have the rear wing at 15, I'll put the front at 18. There are seconds to be found in the setups, the defaults aren't at all optimal.
What works for one track might not work for another, so if you run a similar default setup at two quite different circuit layouts, you won't be as realtively quick at one as you are at the other.

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2015 06:37PM by salvasirignano.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy