Amazing

Posted by Hart 
Amazing
Date: May 20, 2015 11:12AM
Posted by: Hart
I just wanted to express how awesome this game really is. I just completed my first proper race in this game and I can't help but welling up inside with happiness. This game is a true racing game.

After playing games like Gran Turismo and the F1 series from CM, you can imagine what I'm used to. I'm also used to using the racing line all the time (with braking points and all that). I've only recently (within the last week) turned off the line for good. It's extremely difficult but it gives me a sort of freedom and an overall much better experience, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I never thought I'd be able to do this but I am!

I'm curious as to what my performance was truly like. I was driving a Minardi and I qualified 9th against the pro AI at Italy. I think it was a 1:25:xxx (one second behind R. Schumacher on pole). I really wish there was an online feature of this game.

Edit: I am using a G27.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 11:12AM by Hart.
Re: Amazing
Date: May 20, 2015 11:38AM
Posted by: mortal
Go you. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: May 20, 2015 12:48PM
Posted by: Atticus.
Good to see you are happy with the game and I pretty much agree with your sentiment. :-)

As for your performance, it depends whether you use GPxPatch and check the Car power team dependent box on the GPxSet tab - if you do, you're racing with the actual Minardi power and grip, which is not that much, so it lifts up your performance, but if you don't, you're racing with a sort of player car power and grip, which - I believe - is up there with the fastest cars anyway, so, naturally, that brings that 9th place a bit more into context.

But in any case, 9th place is pretty good against a Pro AI anyway! I have tons of experience with this game and even I can't beat the AI on Ace on a lot of tracks on one lap (even less so during a race distance, because it requires so much mental effort to make no mistakes at all). On some tracks, I even have issues beating Semi Pro.

How was your race from 9th on the grid?

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]
Date: May 20, 2015 01:22PM
Posted by: Excalibur
Glad to see that there are new members who really enjoy the game as a true racing simulation, after playing F1 from Codies! ;)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: May 20, 2015 01:50PM
Posted by: HermannB
"I qualified 9th against the pro AI at Italy"

That is amazing indeed for a new user, props to you!
Date: May 20, 2015 10:22PM
Atticus. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good to see you are happy with the game and I
> pretty much agree with your sentiment. :-)
>
> As for your performance, it depends whether you
> use GPxPatch and check the Car power team
> dependent box on the GPxSet tab - if you do,
> you're racing with the actual Minardi power and
> grip, which is not that much, so it lifts up your
> performance, but if you don't, you're racing with
> a sort of player car power and grip, which - I
> believe - is up there with the fastest cars
> anyway, so, naturally, that brings that 9th place
> a bit more into context.
>
> But in any case, 9th place is pretty good against
> a Pro AI anyway! I have tons of experience with
> this game and even I can't beat the AI on Ace on a
> lot of tracks on one lap (even less so during a
> race distance, because it requires so much mental
> effort to make no mistakes at all). On some
> tracks, I even have issues beating Semi Pro.
>
> How was your race from 9th on the grid?

Well I made two mistakes during the race, which was 11 laps. I ran wide at Parabolica and lost a little time through Ascari Variante. I ended up dropping to 16th and fighting back up to 10th.

It was also very interesting to see how the AI behave and actually defend and attack, and I love it. It's also nice to see the AI retiring from various issues (damage from a mistake or car failures).

As for GPxPatch, if the performance you speak of is what it was really like in 2001, then I'd love to have it! Also, I'd like to get ahold of the real skins from 2001 (the Marlboro Ferrari and Benson Hodges, for example), just to make it a bit more "immersive" I suppose.

Thanks for the props from everyone. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 10:22PM by Hart.
Date: May 20, 2015 10:53PM
There is a 2001 mod work in progress, I believe, although you may already find the cars somewhere already - I don't actually know, but someone might help you out there.

For GPxPatch, you just have to download it from here: [rsdi.home.xs4all.nl] And find the checkbox I mentioned above. (And run the game from there, obviously.) You might want to turn other features, such as Fix pit stop bug on (which will fix a bug where you may get stuck in the pits during a race) and certain panels, like Lo2k's 'blue panel' off, etc. You can do a lot of things with it, e. g. install certain custom tracks you would be unable to do so otherwise (see 'magic data';), just be sure to start the game from GPxPatch if you want the changes to take effect. GPxPatch is real-time, so if you wish to play the game without it, you can find the game in the state you left it by starting it from GP4.exe. I, and I think the whole community recommends using the utility though, because, most of all, the game crashes way less frequently, when you use it.

Happy racing! :-)

Date: May 20, 2015 11:01PM
Atticus. Wrote:
> There is a 2001 mod work in progress, I believe,
> although you may already find the cars somewhere
> already - I don't actually know, but someone might
> help you out there.
>
> For GPxPatch, you just have to download it from
> here:
> [rsdi.home.xs4all.nl]
> And find the checkbox I mentioned above. (And run
> the game from there, obviously.) You might want to
> turn other features, such as Fix pit stop bug on
> (which will fix a bug where you may get stuck in
> the pits during a race) and certain panels, like
> Lo2k's 'blue panel' off, etc. You can do a lot of
> things with it, e. g. install certain custom
> tracks you would be unable to do so otherwise (see
> 'magic data';), just be sure to start the game from
> GPxPatch if you want the changes to take effect.
> GPxPatch is real-time, so if you wish to play the
> game without it, you can find the game in the
> state you left it by starting it from GP4.exe. I,
> and I think the whole community recommends using
> the utility though, because, most of all, the game
> crashes way less frequently, when you use it.
>
> Happy racing! :-)

Is there a performance file I need to get the real 2001 feeling of the cars? I can tell the car has less power than when I was using the original game, but it seems to have the same amount of downforce and grip levels (I'm in a Minardi).
Date: May 21, 2015 12:03PM
I don't think a performance file actively regulates individual cars' downforce and grip levels - all it has values for are power, reliablity and then individual driver skill level and the variance of that skill level. So no, I'm afraid that there's no help in this regard to get a somewhat more 'nervous' Minardi, so to speak.

Date: May 21, 2015 07:41PM
Posted by: TGF1DRIVER
A lap time of 1:25:XXX min. in Monza is quite slow. I remember driving a 1:17:8XX or something around that there. That was an amazing lap, only possible by a car power value of 1304 in the performance file. :)(Y)
Date: May 21, 2015 09:53PM
Posted by: HermannB
@Hart just curious: are you driving with cockpit view of t-cam?
Date: May 22, 2015 05:42AM
HermannB Wrote:
> @Hart just curious: are you driving with cockpit
> view of t-cam?

T cam.
Date: May 22, 2015 12:35PM
If you will feel comfortable with it and wish for greater realism, try using cockpit view - it's a different world entirely and one can suddenly understand the term 'blind corner.' :)

Date: May 22, 2015 06:15PM
Atticus. Wrote:
> If you will feel comfortable with it and wish for
> greater realism, try using cockpit view - it's a
> different world entirely and one can suddenly
> understand the term 'blind corner.' :)

I'll try using it when I'm more comfortable with the game.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy