Help with getting cars into 3ds Max 2013

Posted by AUS_Doug 
Help with getting cars into 3ds Max 2013
Date: January 09, 2015 11:39AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
Hi all,

I'm currently going through and making some lower LODs for some cars and, though I'm succeeding and am happy with the results, I'm wanting a more efficient way of doing it.
(Must be the German blood in me!)

Currently, I 'Group' all the Objects together in GP4 Builder and export that as a single .3ds which I import into Max before making my edits and exporting again.
This works nicely, except I then have to divide the car up again into it's Objects; it's easy enough, but time consuming.

The other method I've tried isn't working correctly for me.

1) Use GP4 Renamer on the .gp4 file and import it into Z-Modeler; from there I export as .3ds

2) I import that .3ds file into Max, make my edits and export again.

3) I import the edited .3ds into Z-Modeler and export from there as a .gp4 file, before using GP4 Renamer on it to restore the object names.

However, once I open the .gp4 file in GP4 Builder each Object only has one Part to it, which means the texture won't apply properly.

Has anyone experienced this issue before and is there a painfully obvious solution I'm missing?

Or should I just stick with the 'group-edit-separate' method I've been using?

Cheers,
Doug.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Re: Help with getting cars into 3ds Max 2013
Date: January 10, 2015 01:39AM
Posted by: Foreverk
ThereĀ“s a good tutorial about creating lower lods here: Tutorial: How to make lower lods
Sorry for asking, but what do you mean with "each Object only has one Part to it"?
Date: January 10, 2015 02:23AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
Foreverk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry for asking, but what do you mean with "each
> Object only has one Part to it"?

My fault, I'm probably not using the correct terminology.

Here there is a list of all 'Objects' ('cockpit', 'nose_cone' etc.) in the scene:

If I double click on an object - in this instance, 'cockpit' - it lists all the 'parts' that make up that object.

In that example, each of the five parts uses a different texture so it needs to be broken up like that.

So, when I talk about it only having one part, I mean that all those parts have become combined and that means I cannot apply the texture properly.

And I'll check out the 3D Browser mentioned in that tutorial you linked to.

Cheers,
Doug.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Date: January 10, 2015 02:36AM
Posted by: Foreverk
Understood, I see what happens now (Y) and at least for me, creating low lods with 3D Browser is much faster, but it depends on personal preferences! ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy