Problems running GP4 on Windows 8.1 (and GP3 too!)

Posted by sportingcp 
Problems running GP4 on Windows 8.1 (and GP3 too!)
Date: December 13, 2014 08:08AM
Posted by: sportingcp
Hi everyone,

I´m a big fan of GP4/GP3 and I used to play on my computer with Windows XP, but now unfortunately i´m having problems to run the games in with Windows XP. My graphic card is a AMD r7 m260 (drivers are installed and updated) I´ve been doing some research and found out that other people are having some issues running but managed to run it well after doing some changes. When I try to run GP4 only thing I get is a blank screen (I´ve tried to disable the antivirus and had the same result) with the mouse cursor. Nothing else happens. With GP3 I can run the game but it is too slow! When I´m doing the graphic tests in the start of the game the first two tests it goes well but then something like a rectangle appears near the steering wheel and it goes slow..

I´ve also tried virtual machines and basically I think it happens the same at GP3, with GP4 it´s funny because the game actually starts at the virtual machines but then it´s too slow (probably because it´s not using the real graphic card?

Is there anyone experience the same problems? Any suggestions to solve this? I really like the GP games and this is driving me crazy honestly.
Re: Problems running GP4 on Windows 8.1 (and GP3 too!)
Date: December 13, 2014 09:10AM
Posted by: mortal
You need to set the exe compatibility mode to XP SP2/3 and test.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: December 13, 2014 11:56AM
Thank you for the answer. IT WORKED.. but unfortunately the textures of the cars are all white, because it is using the onboard graphic. I tried deactivating the onboard (Intel graphics family something like that) to "force" the game to use the AMD card but now it gives an error "Generic aplication error". I´m using GPXPatch.
Date: December 13, 2014 02:27PM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
when all cars become white, you have to change texture detail to high or very high in the options menu

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Date: December 13, 2014 02:48PM
It is already like that (everything is high bar on that is highest I think). It just seems that the AMD card is "deactivated" I don´t know..
Date: December 13, 2014 08:24PM
Posted by: TGF1DRIVER
Try a XP Mode when GP4 doesn't work properly on Windows 8! :-)(Y)
Date: December 13, 2014 10:06PM
Again, thank you all for the answers. I´ve already tried to run the game in several virtual machines XP included without success. I think that the main problem here is that the Windows is using the onboard graphic instead of the AMD card. Does anyone know how can I configure to make the computer use the AMD card? Or at least configure by program, but everytime I try to run the AMD catalyst control center now it gives me an error..
Date: December 13, 2014 11:21PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
Don't run in a virtual machine, it doesn't use your graphic card, unless they found a way to use it with win8.

I'm not sure if you understood what mortal and TGF1DRIVER said about compatibility mode, your answer is not clear on it. What you have to do is right-clic GP4.exe, go to Properties, Compatibility tab and check "Execute in compatibility mode : Windows XP SP3" and also "Run as administrator".

If this doesn't work, try to uninstall & reinstall your graphic driver.

If it doesn't work too,... well, I don't know !

Greetings and good new year everyone!

Sorry for the late answer for everybody that was a trying to help! So, I tried to reinstall the driver for my AMD r7 m260 card (AMD Catalyst, I made sure I was installing the proper driver) and i´ve manage to make some "progress" I suppose. Now the game works well at GP3 when I try to run it gives me the same problem problem but then after I run the game one time, I exit for the main menu and in the configurations I can change the render device from "Intel Graphics Family" (it is still detecting this one I don´t know why when I try to remove this driver in the control panel it comes back) to "Software 3d" (I don´t know if that is suppose to be the AMD card or not) but when I make that change the game actually works kinda well (still with some imperfections with the graphics but with great performance).

Now with GP4. I´ve tried running the 2014 mod, the problem I was having is that the cars were all white. Unlike GP3 that let me change the render device to from "Intel Graphics Family" to "Software 3D" , GP4 only detects the Intel Graphics Family -_-. But actually even without changing anything after reinstalling the driver now it works well and the graphics are good too, the only problem is that te "color marks" in the tyres are a bit messed up but apart from that it´s running well.. but I´m still not sure if it´s using the AMD card or not.

I´m a bit tired of all of this

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2015 12:23PM by sportingcp.
If i remember well, the main cause of all white cars is that probably on " f1graphics.cfg controls all settings (default 0)" the value is zero. Change to 1 and everythign will works on GP4.

My workthread with all RELEASED and WIP stuff

The problema with the "white cars" is already solved. The only issue i´m having now is with the tyres the colors of the compounds are a bit messed up, it´s hard to explain, but apart from that it´s OK right now. Maybe it´s the problem with the 2014 MOD i´m trying even if I didn´t had that problem in other computers. With others MODs i don´t have problems with the tyres or other kind of issues.
Uhm, looks like you got activate "rotate wheels by textures". Set from 1 to 0 and the strange compouds should gone away. (always on f1graphics.cfg)

My workthread with all RELEASED and WIP stuff

I´ll try that as soon as I get home, and after testing I´ll give feedback. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy