Help needed with joypad calibration

Posted by kingdeuce86 
Help needed with joypad calibration
Date: November 30, 2014 07:53PM
Posted by: kingdeuce86
Hello fellow F1 fans, I am, for the time being, the token new guy. Having played all the recent Codemasters offerings (except F1 2014), I've decided to go back to the old school GP4. Why? Because I'm not interested in trying to manage my tyres, and fuel levels, and ERS, and all the other bits and bobs during a race, I just want to go as quickly as I can round a track, overtaking as many cars as possible.

Anyway, to business. Having gone through many trials and tribulations in getting the game working on my Windows 8-adorned laptop, I have finally succeeded in being able to drive a race without the damn thing crashing. However, I would now like to use either my PS3 or PS4 controller instead of the keyboard, but when I go to the joypad calibration screen, the frame rate drops to about 1FPS for around 20 seconds, and then the game crashes. It doesn't matter which, if any, controller is plugged in at the time. I've searched here and various other places for an answer, but to no avail, so hopefully one of you tecchie experts can help me.

Here is a link to my GPxPatch error log after the crash:

[www.filedropper.com]

I will use the keyboard if I have to, but I would rather get over this issue so I can use a controller. Also it might be worth mentioning that I don't have any mods installed. Yet.

Thanks!

Mike.
Re: Help needed with joypad calibration
Date: December 01, 2014 12:14AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
First that strikes me is that you don't appear to be running in any compatibility mode.

I think this is probably the cause of the problem.

Right click on your GP4.exe, click 'Properties' and then the' Compatibility' tab and select the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' check-box.

Select 'Windows XP (Service Pack 3)' from the dropdown list, click 'Apply' and try again. (Of course, starting through GpxPatch)

If that still doesn't work, follow the steps above and, when you get to the 'Compatibility' tab, select the check-box that says 'Run this program as an administrator' (or something like that), and then that will work.

Two things to note for anyone else:

1) I've got GP4 Running on Windows 8.1 without having to make any 'Compatibility' changes.

2) For the last few years, I've stopped installing things in my 'Program Files' (or 'Program Files (x86)';) folder(s).

I found that this dramatically reduced the number of things that I needed to 'Run as Administrator', and that most things generally ran smoother.

Here's my potentially incorrect - but reasonable I think - explanation of this.
Though it's regarding modding a different game, it's still relevant, especially when start talking about some of the GP4 utilities that you might want to have write stuff straight to your installation.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 12:16AM by AUS_Doug.
Date: December 01, 2014 05:00PM
Posted by: kingdeuce86
I already have the game running as an Administrator, and in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode. Apologies for not pointing that out in the first post.

I shall try moving the files out of the Program Files (x86) folder later on when I have some free time, see if that helps.
Date: December 02, 2014 11:23AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
That's odd, because I thought that GPxPatch error logs displayed the selected compatibility option for the 'OS version info'.
Although I could be wrong.
(It is GP4.exe that you've applied the compatibility options to isn't it?)

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy