Steering in GP4

Posted by esprit 
Steering in GP4
Date: May 04, 2003 02:33PM
Posted by: esprit
Currently I have little time for sim racing as I am working away from home, however I am very impressed with GP4 apart from one aspect. I've probably got it wrong but the steering does not feel right to me in GP4, I do some real life track driving (not in an F1 car though obviously!) and to me the responses do not seem quite right.

I use a Momo modified to fit in a Hyper, I have low sensitivity zone at 2%, reduce with car speed at 6% (I like a linear wheel) and steering lock at 20 degrees.

Please understand I am not knocking GP4, just hoping I can enjoy it a little more and hoping for someone to give me some recommendations.

Regards
GT
Re: Steering in GP4
Date: May 04, 2003 03:33PM
Posted by: Lo2k
The first recommendation should be to download the last GP4 Tweaker from Madman and increase a bit the force feedback effect as it is quite low even at 100% in the original game.

Greets,
Lo2k

Date: May 04, 2003 04:59PM
Posted by: Breadfan
In what way u don't like the current steering feel? Is it too sensitive? Too unresponding?

Breadfan

[www.forums.sportspavilion.net]
Date: May 05, 2003 05:22AM
Posted by: redman
I got a problem with my wheel it is to sensitive? What can i do? What should i set max degree?thx for help
Date: May 05, 2003 07:51PM
Posted by: Madman271
Lock angle is much affected with steer sensitivity. But it's not enough. You need to set minimum sensitivity zone.

BTW; For some analog controllers, you still need to recalibrate from GP4 control menu.

Gr88ts,
Madman
Date: May 06, 2003 01:33AM
Posted by: Morbid
You need to remember, that once you pass the low sensitivity zone, your control will work pretty much like a digital input device, that is on (@ full lock)/off (@ the edge of the low sensitivity zone).

If you want a smooth liniar response throughout the whole range of motion that your controller has, then set the controllers low sensitivity zone to 100%. 20 degrees max lock is very suitable to a 100% low sensitivity zone.

If you like you car more twitchy, then reduce the low sensitivity zone. 2% will give a very twitchy car. Say your controller has 270 degrees of travel, 135 degrees to each side. 2% is 5.4 degrees, or in plain english, you can move your controller 2.7 degrees left or right before it acts like an on/off switch.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: May 06, 2003 05:05AM
Posted by: brettly
mm..interesting judgement, does that work the same for control PADS or just wheels/keyboard???
Date: May 06, 2003 12:40PM
Posted by: Morbid
That is an interesting question. I dunno, I actually have no idea...

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: May 06, 2003 02:22PM
Posted by: Rainer
Just reading this, I think Morbid gave me a great idea to improve my own steering in GP4 using a Logitech Wingmand stick.... Thanks!
Date: May 06, 2003 04:01PM
Posted by: Vader
All I can say is that I use the settings my brother Morbid recommended, and with my wheel the car responds to the steering really like you would expect a real car to do.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: May 07, 2003 12:34AM
Posted by: JohnW
Hmmmm,

I thought reducing the low sensitivity zone reduced the "dead" area in the streering range. You're saying to make it realistic, change it to 100%, right ? I think I run at 10%.

JohnW
Date: May 07, 2003 06:26AM
I tried 100 yesterday... and I love it. Much better than I thought it would work with my Logitech Sidewinder stick!

Thanks for the tip!
Date: May 08, 2003 02:46PM
Sorry, been away for a few days so not had the chance to respond.

I'll try Morbid's tip tomorrow, that sounds interesting as it is currently a bit too much like a switch.

Thanks
Gary
Date: May 09, 2003 09:20AM
Hey this is much better, thanks. Am I right to assume that the pedals work in the same way, upto the low sensitivity zone as analogue, above it switched?

Also a final question, would some of you have some recommendations for the settings to use with a Momo in the game controllers menu in windows, i.e. max strength, damping and centering force.

I have to say that although GPL is still my favourite I think this is a much under estimated sim, you just need to spend the time with it to get it working.

Regards
Gary
Date: May 09, 2003 09:27AM
esprit wrote:

> I have to say that although GPL is still my favourite I think
> this is a much under estimated sim, you just need to spend the
> time with it to get it working.

Can't really compare GPL to GP4 - GPL is a no grip, no downforce model whereas GP4 models modern F1 cars with high grip, high downforce parameters. Thought that was "known" by now :)

About the steering: it feels much better now. Not as nervous.
Date: May 09, 2003 10:19AM
I wasn't comparing it, I just said its my favourite, surely that does'nt stop me liking both:-)
Date: May 09, 2003 10:21AM
Oh, yes the steering is much better, as you say not as nervous.

Now just for you gentlemen to give me a few pointers on the ffb and I'll be very 'appy as one formula one driver says.

Cheers
Gary
Date: May 09, 2003 11:06AM
Posted by: Mick
we also find the steering(logitech momo) in f1gp4 to be not quit right, have you tried it on colin mcrae 2 its works 100% on this, when you say you have mod your momo to fit in a hyper what is a hyper and does it improve your steering,Mick&Deb

Mick
Date: May 09, 2003 01:55PM
Mick, the Hyper won't help your steering, beyond providing a more comfortable driving position, see www.hyperstim.com

Regards
Gary
Date: May 10, 2003 11:00PM
Posted by: JohnW
After trying the 100% setting, I found the car sluggish. It seemed to take way to much angle to turn the car at slow speeds. I've dropped it down to 75% to see if I like it. I don't quite follow the train of thought that the steering would be digital, all on or all off, at a very low low sensitivity setting. I want precise control, especially in chicanes. The 100% setting reminded me of the way Mr "T" drove the van in the TV show, "The A Team". Lots of motion and not much happening.

Perhaps I need a primer on what exactly the low sensitivity is supposed to do.

JohnW
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy