Grand Prix 4 Windows 8.1 problems

Posted by Fluttershy 
Grand Prix 4 Windows 8.1 problems
Date: April 26, 2014 10:28PM
Posted by: Fluttershy
First of all the game works, but there are 2 issues.

The first is that it's horrifically unstable, and it crashes when I try to calibrate joystick or do certain other things (will crash every time), and it won't recognise my GPU no matter what so it only uses the Intergrated one probably due to Nvidia optimus.

Also, CSM crashes when I load it with this error.

So, is this just a lost cause or is there anything I can do?
Re: Grand Prix 4 Windows 8.1 problems
Date: April 26, 2014 10:44PM
Posted by: TomMK
Download ZaZ Tools again (I made a fix for this issue) - if it still doesn't work, download the older version (there's a link to both on GP4 Central).

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: April 26, 2014 11:16PM
Posted by: gezere
I got the same issue with my new laptop which runs Windows 8.1. (the graphic card of my old, loved laptop dead 2 weeks ago... :-) )
To installe CSM/TSM etc..... I have had to use a old version of ZaZ Tools dowloaded (ZAZTools1.26.exe) which installs all the exe.
After to have run it, all work like it has to be... looks like a simply extraction of your "repackage" doesn't work with window 8.1.
It's necessary to download the original files also available at your great site Tom ;-)

Date: April 26, 2014 11:21PM
Posted by: mortal
Install gpx_patch if you haven't done so. Set verbosity to medium and enable debug mode. CPU to 0.
GP4.exe, set compatibility to WinXP SP2/3, run as admin, same for CSM.
Ignore cannot retrieve list errors in CSM, server is no longer active. Disable the update fuction.
Error logs created by gpx can be posted here, or zip and upload with a link if too big to post. Edit topic header to show gpx error log.
Update the secondary gpu drivers. If the software allows it, create a profile for the GPU and use it to start GP4.exe if this is possible. You may be able to disable the Intel chip and force the laptop to use the Nvidia chip in the software for the GPU. Edit your header to show secondary GPU problem. This topic was on the board a while back and maybe someone here remembers the fix, if there was one.
The specific run-time error you posted refers to a corrupt registry. Uninstall CSM. Use a registry cleaner, such as CCleaner or Auslogics. Run twice to ensure cleaning.
Download CSM from gp4central.com. Tom the admin has created a new package there. Install, set compatibility and admin rights, test.
Before you run CSM.
Turn off BCEDIT (google how to)
Open a command prompt with elevated admin rights, insert this and run. regsvr32 %windir%\system32\scrrun.dll It should register the dynamic library that may be causing the run-time error. Re-boot.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 26, 2014 11:35PM
I can't work out why people are having issues with the repack - maybe it's just a Windows 8 thing (I don't have Windows 8 so I can't test it). I do know the error is caused because CSM can't find the DLLs it needs, even though they are right there in the DLL folder. I might take it down and revert to the old version.

I really hope ZaZ comes back and makes an update, or at least puts the updater back online :(

Date: April 26, 2014 11:38PM
You could put in a how-to on forcing the dll's registration for Win 8, that might do it Tom. Or mark the older version for Win 8 only. I wouldn't hold your breath on the updater server. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 26, 2014 11:48PM
Hmm, well I wanted to keep it as simple as possible (i.e. extract and play). Any more complex than that and you end up getting a hundred similar threads on here asking for help ;).

I'm going to try and figure out exactly what the ZaZ Tools installer does (take a snapshot of the registry before and after and compare the two). Maybe that'll help me make a better version.

Date: April 26, 2014 11:53PM
It should place the dll's in the win32/ but if it does not register them properly that could be the cause of the run-time error. That's why I suggested to do it via the cmd prompt. Or maybe something as simple as a re-boot after installing would activate the reg entries.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy