Redundant track .bin files

Posted by TomMK 
Redundant track .bin files
Date: January 09, 2014 07:56AM
Posted by: TomMK
Are the .bin files found in Grand Prix 4\MenuData\PC\GP2001\Objects required for anything?

The same files are found inside the individual track .wad file so I was thinking the files in Grand Prix 4\MenuData\PC\GP2001\Objects are redundant and could be deleted?

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Re: Redundant track .bin files
Date: January 09, 2014 07:59AM
Posted by: mortal
Do a test, move them out of the directory and see what happens. That way you can restore them if you have to. I wouldn't bother, unless you are really desperate for free space.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 09, 2014 08:20AM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
The have a function; the game looks here for track sectors that don't receive rain.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: January 09, 2014 08:33AM
Posted by: TomMK
Turbo Lover
The have a function; the game looks here for track sectors that don't receive rain.

It looks here and not at the .bin file inside the .wad? Even for custom tracks?

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: January 09, 2014 09:46AM
Yep. For crowd textures in the wet the game look also in the main folder.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Date: January 09, 2014 01:47PM
Posted by: Atticus.
And some driver art files (for Panis and Villeneuve, swapped initially, then re-swapped in the 1.02 patch) are outside regular .wad files as well. The program looks like to have a fallback option to look for these files in the main directory.
Date: January 09, 2014 03:43PM
I think that the game was far from ready when the game was released and those maps were some kind of leftovers.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Date: January 09, 2014 03:53PM
Posted by: Atticus.
Yes, Geoff said so as well in an interview something like that they had to hurry up due to the planned closure of Microprose. I suspect a lot of finetuning work never took place - I blame the vanilla game's occiasional crashes and the relatively high system reqs on this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy