ZAZ Tools Problems and Windows 7 [fixed]

Posted by AndrewHarper 
ZAZ Tools Problems and Windows 7 [fixed]
Date: August 26, 2013 04:02PM
Posted by: AndrewHarper
Hi everyone,

I know this is covered in some topics but I can't find a definitive answer to this issue I am having with ZaxTools, GP4 and Windows 7.

So here's the breakdown;

1. Installed GP4 from the CD, as it is the game will not run (the GP4.exe stops responding, usual Windows error)
2. I installed the 9.6 patch (used the automated installer on this site). Runs fine seems to do everything without problem. GP4 still crashes on startup.
3. Install the decrypted exe file. Game still crashes on startup.
4. Install GPx. At THIS point the game WILL run through GPx Patch and appears fine (although I noticed some of the cars were white). I see that this is the usual fix for Windows 7.
5. Install Zaz tools to use some mods, now this is where it gets tricky. None of the Zaz tools programs will run. They try to start (for example CSM searches for the gp4.exe file but from there the program appears to hang, it's not running in task manager so I assume it exits itself).

So I'm a bit stuck! I know there is supposed to be a readme file with Zaztools but I cannot find it with the download I got from here. If anyone wants to forward it to me that would be great.

My racing rival (WilliamsF1Fan!) has an iMac (won't hold that against him) and on his everything works fine, but having said that his would be a 64bit Windows 7 install.

GP4 is set to run with admin rights. I've left Zaztools alone for the moment but did try a few compatibility settings but with no success.

If anyone could shed some light on this or point me in the direction of a support site I would be grateful. Would be good to race on GP4 again.

In case anyone wants to ask, I've tried four complete installs from scratch and had the same problem every time. Also tried getting the files from different sites and still the same issue.

Many thanks for your time.

Andrew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2013 01:26AM by mortal.
Re: ZAZ Tools Problems and Windows 7
Date: August 26, 2013 05:32PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
You need to run CSM in Administrator mode. Plus, some anti-virus seem to report it as ZAZ_Trojan virus (which is not) and could delete it.

Date: August 26, 2013 05:35PM
Hmmm, tried that and it made no difference.

I'm wondering if the Microsoft security software is stopping it running? Will give it a try.

Doesn't explain why all the Zaztools don't seem to work unless they do something similar to the OS on startup that Windows doesn't like.

Anyway, keep on trying! :)
Date: August 26, 2013 07:46PM
Posted by: WilliamsF1fan
Just face it andrew you need a mac with bootcamp ;) welcome to grandprixgames :)
Date: August 26, 2013 10:58PM
Posted by: mortal
Have you checked the FAQ for Win7 info? Also, turn off bcedit in win7. Make sure in gpx that cpu is set to 0, regardless of whether you have a dual core cpu.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2013 11:15PM by mortal.
Date: August 27, 2013 11:21PM
Posted by: gitanes
very important: GP4 will have to run at least once (and calibrate graphics) before installing gpxpatch and/or zaztools!!

to achieve that in win7 you have to run gp4.exe in compatibility mode WinXP-SP3 (right click on the exe, select properties)!

after running the graphics setup in gp4, quit it, install gpxpatch and select the same compatibility mode for gpxpatch.exe!

zaztools do not need a compatibility setting, but: some antivirus programs and the windows firewall think of csmcore.exe as a virus (false alarm), so you may have to put csmcore.exe in a exception list!

My personal GP4 files at : www.4shared.com ______ My Blog at : Gitanes GP4 work

* Performance Files * LoadingScreens GoogleMaps * GP4 Tracks and Cars Databases
Date: August 28, 2013 03:06PM
Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

The problem with this sort of issue is you try so many things it's difficult to keep track of what you've done! :)

Ok;

"very important: GP4 will have to run at least once (and calibrate graphics) before installing gpxpatch and/or zaztools!!"

I will double check tonight but GP4.exe refused to run at all (this as you mention; is before I install or add anything) I tried all the XP compatability modes and also admin rights on and off. But I will double check and see if I've missed anything. No harm in starting from scratch.

"after running the graphics setup in gp4, quit it, install gpxpatch and select the same compatibility mode for gpxpatch.exe!"

As I mentioned previously I seem to be unable to run the game at all until I install GPXPatch. That runs fine without any modification from myself but good tip and I will try it.

"Also, turn off bcedit in win7"

Yes, I saw this on another post and carried out the instructions, but made no difference I'm afraid.

I am in the process of saving up a bit of cash for a new HD for the laptop, I might make it a dual booting machine as I have some software that will only run on XP (Hexalock copy protected stuff). I may end up using GP4 on that, but I'll see how things go.

I double checked the other night and TSM is the only one of the ZazTools collection that will run. All the others start (you can see the HD light flashing) but they go no further. They are not present in Task Manager when I check so they are not "in limbo".

I guess the only difference between my PC and WilliamsF1Fan is that his hasn't installed any OS updates or security software. As we are all so painfully aware it only takes one small patch or alteration to mess things up.

Many thanks again.
Date: August 31, 2013 12:17AM
Hi everyone,

Well I tried most of the suggestions on here with no luck, but I did find another website and tried one suggestion about removing old printer drivers and well it looks like I'm back in business. How odd!

Well I at least I can check to see if my colour scheme looks ok now!

Thanks again for the support.

The wonders of modern tech....
Date: August 31, 2013 01:25AM
I have heard of the printer driver problem before, who knew it would happen to you. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 31, 2013 02:23AM
Posted by: WilliamsF1fan
Stupid printer haha glad its all working now mate :) guess you wont be coming over no more haha
Date: August 31, 2013 09:16AM
lol ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy